The Anti-angling Green Party

J

jason fisher

just sent a flyer to graham hopefully he can put it on this site so we can all print it out and take it to our local tackle shop for them to display.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will check with my own club that they know of these policies, they most probably allready know and being one of the largest clubs in the country, 8000 plus members it can go a long way to help.

I am e-mailing mine right now.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who was it that said they would scrap the E.A. licence last year? (forgotten who it was)
I wrote to my M.P. about that one as well.
Let us hope the green Party go the same way.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Sorry Nick, but when you said that the fish caught by anglers are not killed, this is not true.

Salmon, trout and sea anglers do kill fish, especially fish that are good to eat.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

I have killed over 25 trout since March.

F

Frothey

he's come up with a new form of "tickling"...he starts talking about sa, and they just roll over and die of boredom.....

i've stuck the origional post on another couple of sites as they dont seem to have picked up on it

W

Wolfman Woody

Just to remind necomers, this is what I found on the Green Party's website:

Policy "AR412 The Green Party is opposed to angling as a bloodsport. We will ban livebaiting which is inherently cruel. The Green Party will ban the use of all lead shot / weights used by anglers which are harmful to many other forms of wildlife. The Party will promote the voluntary cessation of angling through public education programmes."

P

Phil Hatton

Sir

I read with dismay your policy statement AR412. As a life -long angler and voluntary Conservationist I must write to express my feelings.
This policy will, at a stroke, alienate millions of potential voters, namely anglers, their families and friends. The Angling population have always been at the forefront of aquatic conservation in this country with thousands of us engaging in regeneration and maintenance projects each year. We largely fund the Anglers Cooperative Association, the only independent organisation devoted to the protection of waterways through legal means, who have in the past carried out hundreds of successful prosecutions against polluters and others who have damaged the waterways. May I ask will you fund this and the Environment Agency when we are gone.The EA receive millions in license fees from anglers every year which largely funds their fisheries division.
The accusations regarding the use of lead shot are inaccurate. we voluntarily put a ban on the most dangerous sizes, indeed most angling clubs had rules in place long before the legislation was drafted. However you may wish to look at the use of lead in shooting and wildfowling, (or are they on your target list too).
All in all you would be hard put to find a more Conservation minded interest group in the country and certainly not one who habitually put in so much voluntary time in on environmental maintenance.
A last point is this, angling is currently worth several billion ?'s to the UK economy and supports tens of thousands of jobs, (EA numbers, not mine). Is it a politically wise target ?

regards

I've just sent this,will it do or was I too polite ?

W

Wolfman Woody

A measured dose Phil! Everything helps.

What I would like to see is if this really puts the wind up a party that has no hope of taking over Government of this country it will send a very strong and severe message to the three parties who could.

The national angling journals now know about it so keep a look out in their pages.

Bring it up at your club meetings too!

J

jason fisher

i'm off with my flyers round the local tackle shops in the morning.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

"You accuse us of spinning it as 'a call for a voluntary ban', which is also a misrepresentation of our policy, even putting it in quote marks as if you were quoting, which you are not"

But it is a direct quote Graham, from their website under the policy statement !!

J

John Lock

To - office@greenparty.org.uk
Subject - Withdrawal of support.

I read with dismay your policy (AR412) on angling which was bought to my attention by a fellow angler. As a dedicated angler I will not give any support to a party that seeks to ban angling.
I also feel that your policy is ill thought out, given that anglers as a whole probably do more for conservation and the environment than most so-called environmentalist groups.
Polluters will sleep more easily if angling is banned. They will know that there are 4 million fewer pairs of eyes watching them.
How easily will you sleep? Perhaps you could drift off by mentally counting dead fish as they float past in a river of chemical foam.

C

Coops

I kind of, sort of, maybe, wouldn't mind quite so much if an organisation who said they would ban angling would actually say what they would do instead.

At least you could have some respect for someone having a viewpoint different to yours if they truly had the welfare of fish and waterway habitat in mind and an action plan to support it.

I have absolutely no tolerance with anyone who screams 'ban angling' and then provides no other means of ensuring that all the good angling does continues to get done.

The Green Party obviously has no back up plan for pollution protection, environment agency funding, angling backed community initiatives or effect on the economy. Therefore it deserves all the contempt it is currently getting. And will get mine shortly......

D

Deck Monkey

Copy of my mail to the greens:

Sir

I read with dismay your anti-angling stance as contained in the above mentioned manifesto entry. I understand that your alleged facts have been garnered from Pisces, an anti-angling group. Surely even the most rudimentary examination of the evidence here would lead you to suspect this may not be the most reliable possible source for information on angling. Most of the anti organisations use twisted, distorted information and even downright lies. Whilst angling has had its bad points (tell me a sport which hasn't and I'll be amazed) the vast majority of anglers are also conservationists of one level or another. We do not kill fish unless they are to be eaten and we actively take part in waterside maintenance ourselves as well as acting in pressure groups to improve areas. I, and all other anglers I know, leave the bank side cleaner than when we arrive. We make sure no old line is left around and that littler, regardless of its source, goes in a bin.

When I fish, I feel I am helping maintain the countryside and the water itself as my annual licence fee goes towards improving fish stocks, cleaning the water and maintaining the banks. We're not monsters and lets not forget that most times we go fishing, we don't actually catch anything, or at least, I don't.

On the point of anglers helping conservation efforts and waterside research, may I refer you to Countryfile, aired on BBC1 Sunday 23rd of May 2004. Hampshire fly fishermen are helping scientists to monitor fly hatches in a bid to find out why they are dropping in numbers. Who else would do this, if not the anglers? The anti groups? I think not. Most of the anti-groups are filled with scruffy reactionaries who think that by perpetrating violent acts towards innocent people they are making a political statement in the mistaken belief that their actions are some form of coup d'etat. Sadly these people are merely mindless thugs espousing twisted theories based on hearsay and whimsy rather than fact and evidence.

I'm deeply saddened by your stance. I have watched you grow from a small group of radicals without a clue on the political fringe to a coherent organisation with some good ideas and was considering voting for you since the other parties are laughably disorganised but I could not possibly countenance such a move on my part towards an organisation that wishes to stamp out my sport based on the febrile ramblings of a blinkered minority. I strongly suspect you will lose the vote of every single angler who reads point AR412 and I intend to be a part of the anglers on fishingmagic.com who make sure that this insidious intention is known amongst the whole angling community.

Yours regretfully

Etc etc etc.

I'm disgusted at their attitude. Unity is key. Let every angler you know who will vote about this.

ferret

Reaction score
If the GREENS are dead set agenst this that the other dose that mean that we all will live under ground or up trees, as the rest is houses flats burning gas power from power plants, I think that would be ok cheeky monkey as he`s allways braching out?

G

Geoff Cowen

Don't forget several Liberal Demarcate counsels have band angling in city parks.
Me thinks I will keep on voting Conservative and try to keep my sport and the sport of others!

D

Deck Monkey

Lib dems have banned angling in some parks? What were their grounds? There goes another party I might have voted for.

D

Deck Monkey

Replay from Greens:

Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail which I will pass on. Obviously there is nothing I can say that will change your mind, but I do want to point out that our policy is NOT based on the Pisces website, which is something that I assume Graham Marsden is putting about, based on a misunderstanding between him and me.

Best wishes

Adam Stacey
Administrative Officer
The Green Party
020 7272 4474

I will be replying to them again...

P

Phil Hatton

At least you got a reply; I didn't and I am even less impressed with these bunny-hugging, tree-strokers than I was before.

A

Ashe Hurst

no reply to my letter.
prob worried about using too much paper and ink or out of recycled envelopes. Maybe all the time spent on the Pc is using up too much electricity and us Anglers have caused them a few head aches.
Good!