The Humble Centrepin

Matt Brown

Reaction score
What a great thread. It's pleasing to see that everyone appreciates the pros and cons of using centrepins.

John, what you said about Chris Yates had me in stitches! I might have said something about Chris Yates note being my cup of tea, but I like your way best!

Ron, you've got to learn the Wallis cast. It's so much quicker than loop casting. By the way, if anyone's worried about Wallis casting, it's not that hard and well worth learning.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, come on Ron, learn to Wallis cast - I'll even lend you a Wallis wizard to learn on . . . . . .

John,

There is also an awful lot of 'inverted snobbery' spewed forth when it comes to a cheaper reel being just as good as the more expensive one!

The fact of the matter is that the price, and the buying power of the purchaser is all totally relative.

So, if you can afford to spend ?550 on a Witcher Aerial then a Purist is 'cheap' but if an Okuma is all one could afford then a Purist is 'expensive'

Innit?

honslow

Reaction score
I must be one of the tarts that John's talking about because I've been using a pin all season for legering for chub and trotting livebaits for perch. I decided at the start of the season that whenever I was fishing a small river I'd use a pin in order to master the Wallis Cast, which I can safely say I've just about managed to do.
A centrepin allows better control of a hooked fish as it eliminates the inertia found in the gearing of all fixed spool drag systems. I've not been smashed up on the pin all season. Having said that I am using 8lb line! Fish to catch 'em, not to lose 'em!
Pins make perfect sense when bolt-rigging close in for chub, barbel, tench and carp. You don't need bank sticks or buzzers, just lie the rod on the bank reel handles up and wait for the ratchet to scream.
I also just like using one. Wallis casting brought a new challenge to my fishing.
And my pins are an investment. I've bought three made by Richard Carter and have got a pair on order from Chris Lythe. I'm definitely the kind of tart that John loves to hate!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Chavender you are right about the names of the casts.The loop cast is the Sheffied cast and not the Nottingham cast.

There is a chapter in "Fine Angling For Coarse Fish" penned by Wallis himself showing you how to cast in the "Nottingham" style.I have always preseumed therefore that the Wallis cast to be also the Nottingham cast, with it becoming known as the Wallis cast due to it being him who popularised it.Any thoughts?

Another great use for a nice pin is close in float fishing for tench or carp.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Greg is clearly committing heresy by using a pin for bolt rigging.Surely free lined par boiled potato is more appropriate?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
And as I have said on other related threads I am quite happy to teach anyone who wished to get off their backsides and make their way to God's own county Lancashire and learn!
It really is easy to do and most people can manage it in a few minutes when shown how.
My centerpins are a real fashion statement I got my first at the age of eight when I would much rather have had an Intrepid Truspin which was in those days 14/6d .....only old gits will understand 14/6d but that was way too rich for my pocket money in those far off days I only got a tanner a week (anybody under 40 ask yer grandad or Ron what a tanner was worth).
Needles to say in my 50s I still use pins whenever I feel like it which is the majority of the time. I can give loads of reasons for doing so but the truth is I enjoy using them I find it adds to my river fishing most of the time there is a distinct tactile pleasure in having mastered the pin.
Equally I have no problem with anyone suddenly wanting to learn how to use one no matter what age or why.

Fishing should be above else fun though you often wouldn't think so I you read many of the threads found on the forums!!!!!!!!!!!

So if using a pin adds more fun to your fishing go ahead get one and enjoy learning to use it and take no notice of the miserable old git brigade ;-)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I use a 'pin occasionally but I'm no great shakes with it, casting or otherwise.

If a decent closed face reel was made I'd never use a centrepin again for trotting.

I do think that some anglers unnecessarily handicap themselves just for the sake of using a centrepin. Like the lads who use them for legering for barbel so they can hear them click when they get a run. They'd be a lot better off with a baitrunner.

Still, if they enjoy using them that's all that matters, but there's bugger all that good about them for anybody to get snobbish about them.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
OK, so I'm a miserable old git:)-)

But I'd still rather use a good closed face reel.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I only fish a 'pin on stillwater close in 'cos every time I trot with one I get frustrated at how hard work it is! I can do it but would prefer not to. At the moment Magic Marsden's got me pole fishing all the time so the 'pins will remain at home for a while yet.

I believe the John Wilson reel was based on the 60's Match Aerial with a retro line guard?

honslow

Reaction score
We all have vices Peter, mines investing in decent tackle. Let's face it, if I don't knacher them up they'll only appreciate.
They can be a handicap Graham if you're not familiar with using them. Having used one all season I'm now confident of perfect accuracy and presentation when casting up to 20 yards (well as perfect as a cack handed muppet like me can ever achieve on the bank!).
And you will always be able to play fish harder on a pin than a fixed spool reel.
While it is clearly heretical to bolt rig with them, it saves having to cart a pod or sticks around when fishing short evening and morning sessions. And what would you rather hear, an electronic alarm or a screaming ratchet?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh, that's not nice Chav, FM only being an 'etc'.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i defiantly know that it was the pleasure aspect that drew me back to using a centrepin and the pure chance and coincidental meeting of a stanger
and chatting with him on the banks of the trent and discovering he was thinking of selling his centrepin to buy a shimano baitrunner.
as he was taking up carp fishing and stopping river fishing.he walked away with a nearly new shimano 5010 and three spare spools filled with line (x-mass & birthday presant) and i had a old centrepin reel to play with.and i beleave i got the better deal as i've had the greater pleasure using it and subsequent ones.

i won't go barbel without my baitrunners (well 99.99% of the time) and 90% of my float fishing is done with my abu closed faced reels.

and i find that as i'm getting older my fishing is more and more about the enjoyment i get from it than my technical ability to fish and rather catch one nice fish from a good cast to getting a net full of fish from almost mechanical state of fishing.
now i even quite like undoing tangles and most of my fishing is unrushed & unpressured if i catch its great.and if i don't all good.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, I really wish a manufacturer would make a good closed face reel - with gears that don't mash up when you hook anything over 3lb.

I remember that thread we had a couple fo years ago. It's a shame nothing came of it, but I understand why. There's such a small demand.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I was brought up with 'pins from a very early age and for many years that's all I used.

Finally got a ABU505 closed faced and that took over all my fishing for a while.

I now love trotting with the 'pin and get a huge amount of enjoyment from their use. Also similar to Mark, often fish the margins for carp with them.

I think I can handle a 'pin pretty well and use the Wallis Cast a lot. Hate line guards and have the line coming off the bottom of the reel (sorry). Tried off the top but I guess it's too ingrained in me to change.

I'll use the 'pin whenever I think the situation demands it but am more than happy to use fixed spool/closed face when needed.

Recently bought an Okuma Sheffield and thinks it's very, very good.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Graham
And there i was thinking old Ron had sold you a good un,get your money back old lad and never trust a Yorkie.
Seriously like you i have has two close face reel and they have been nothing but trouble,both Diawa 125m and the 120.
I rang David Bell at Diawa and told him to let me know when they could make a reel at Diawa that lasted more than six months and i might buy one.
Greg
I do no think you are a tart at all,cross dresser well maybe.(only joking)
Peter
If you have any spare money remember me my old mate bloody hard life up here
Matt
Lovely chub that one you caught,my favourite fish and i have never caught a six pounder never mind a seven,lovely chubly