The Humble Centrepin

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Hey up Mr Marsden!!!Seem to recall an article in a now defunct coarse angling today magazine when a certain Graham Marsden was extolling the benefits of centerpins and the DAM Robo in particular as that was the piece of kit you were reviewing at the time!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Back on a serious note Alan, what are the features, in order of importance, that you look for in a centrepin? And which one is your favourite of the ones you own?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I still like 'em Alan, and still use them - at the appropriate time. Unlike some (and I don't necessarily mean you) who use them for almost everything.

Not that they shouldn't if they're enjoying it.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I'll try and answer several points with this one!
I have two current favourites these are the Browning Revolver which is the reel you see me using in the casting demo clip and the Okuma Adventa Pro which I regard a the best value for money pin on the market at the moment.

Both these reels have a couple of things in common.
Firstly they both have solid drums this is a big plus...I can almost hears the howls of the traditionalists!! The reason is that with the traditional caged drums you suffered with line bury and this caused no end of problems with any sort of distance casting having you line coming off the drum looking like a series of steps did nothing for smoothness either!

Caged drums where a good idea when they were first invented as anglers used silk lines and the caged drum promoted line drying and thus helped to prevent the line rotting however since the invention of nylon monofil the cadged drum has become an anachronism.

Having a solid drum also allows you to put more line on the reel with far less fear of problems than was ever the case with the caged drum.

The second feature common to both of these reels is the both have low inertia Ron was right to be scathing about reels that spin forever that is simply flywheel effect. Low inertia is the important thing as it allows for long smooth easy casts and easy trotting particularly in lower flow rivers.

The Browning is a True centerpin actioned reel and the Okuma is a ball bearing Drum reel both are equally effective as bits of fishing tackle.

It is also something of a myth about me using pins all the time I only use them when i feel that there use is appropriate i.e. trotting or light ledgering on rivers the rest of the time I use a fixed spool reel when coarse fishing.
Having said that I do find the pin more fun to use!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Having said that I do find the pin more fun to use!!"

And that's what really matters Alan. I often run a float through a swim when I know I could catch more with a leger. Enjoying the method is as equally important I reckon than what you catch. Some would say more important.

After all, we spend more time trying to catch fish than we do actually catching them.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Very True Graham When all is said and done it's about having fun!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You took the words right out of my mouth Alan. Caged drums are truly horrid and are the reason why many centrepin purists tell us not to put too much line on the reel.

At the moment I have a full 100 metres of 2.6lb Drennan Float fish on my reel and never have problems with "bedding in".

Big heavy spools have high inertia which means that the effort to get them to turn is large compared with a light spool. It also takes a fare bit of braking to get them to stop and that can cause overruns in some situations.

Overall, angling is done for pleasure and each to his own is what I say.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Alan
Looking at your photo must say that barbel you are holding looks different to ours in White Rose or you have a good fishmonger.
On a serious note im no exception to anyone else and love a good pin,its like having a good watch and with some TLC will last forever.
The good point are its a direct hit without having to twist the line as on the fixed spool reel.
I never use much line on mine 30yds max so i never get any bedding and i do like the caged drum,in fact if i had my way i would cage a few Lancashire bods for life,come over to the White Rose county and "Lets be having you"

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Alan
Have you ever heard of a good mate of mine who makes terrific but expensive pins called Barry Grantham of Lincoln

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One big difference between barbel caught in Lancashire and Yorkshire John. There are not native to that county, they are here!

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Ron
i dont think some of the natives are native to the county,lets be honest the buggers are all twistles Tintwistle Higgingbottoms Longbottoms all Twistles and arses,no wonder Gracie Fields buggered off

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Good Grief I know Barry Grantham well next time you see him ask him if he ever finished making that top for my little Davenport and Fordham cane rod of mine!!
That barbel in my pic was a 2lb 14oz Grayling taken out of the Ribble at Long Preston oddly enough in Yorkshire!!
I do in fact spend a certain ammount of time in Cross border raids!!
I'm also a member of a couple of yourkshiee clubs though it has to be said that most tykes enjoy being clubbed!! ;-0
Keep planning to join Bradford City and will get round to it.
Whereabouts in whte rose are you??
Ron you are quiet right about the barbel on this side of the pennines the originals have all got Brummie acccents!!.
Oh No! thats twice we have agreed on something.....This will not be good for our credibility!!

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Ron ive put the word out to take that man out,the Ledger cast with a piece of black pudding on a size 6hook should be suffice,any problems its strip him and let our women see what little lads our border neighbours are

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Tintwistle, Oswaldtwistle, Eckythumptwistle, Ramsbottom, Wigglebottom, Itchinthwaite, Thistlethwaite, Morthenthwaite, Prosselthwuth etc etc.

I have often wondered why the Lankies have such peculiar names.

Mind you I know why they wear the red rose. They used to have the white rose but it got stained with blood after the battle of Boroughbridge when the Yorkys knocked nine kinds of shit out of them.....:eek:)

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Always know when Barries coming up the bank Alan ,i can hear him 5 miles away.
He is the bailiff for Lincoln AA and used to bailiff the Upper Witham,he has photographed some of my catches in the past,think he was amazed just how great us Yorkies are.
I told him not to worry about it

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And anyway we have a much bigger county so there!!!

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Ah well he's only a Lincolnshire lad John I've not seen owt of him for a couple of years and have lost his phone number but he does in fact still have one of my fly rods. Somewhere I have a couple of pictures of him at the Cheshire Game fair I was demmoing the Wallis cast there at the time. Aye he's not a shy lad!!
Come to think of it the last time I saw Ron was at the NEC tackle Show back in 02! He was looking for a fly rod at the time ..did you sort one out Ron??

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh yes Alan. I'm not tight like the Lankies, I've had six since then.

I don't support the Yorkshire cricket team any more. The Proteas yes!

G

Gary Knowles

Well I don't care what anyone thinks about them, I've never used one and always wanted to but never got around to it, and the truth is I don't care whether they are more effiicent than a fixed spool or closed face one or not.

I just want to use one and enjoy it...

To this end i have just got my first one it is a JW Young model (reccomended by a certain contributer on this thread) and I can't wait to try it. I'll probably end up in all kinds of tangles but hey, who give a toss if its fun !