The Keith Culley Memorial Match Clattercote 16.5.09

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Probably only from the pegs in the late thirties upwards.

F

Fred Bonney

The class showed then, with Stu fishing well out, from the low teens,not having to worry about losing fish in the "margins"!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham and I did consider a "ban" on margin hauling this year as concerns had been raised as to fish welfare but felt bans and enforcing them wasn't really in the spirit of the day.Maybe next year we can simply peg up to 35 so there is more of a level playing field?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I will continue to come every year I can make it but it is a demoralising venue.

****y and I visited a commercial place on the Friday to practice our tactics for the big day, we 'bagged-up' (if we'd used keep nets we would have anyhow) on bream and carp all day. we lost count of the number of fish we caught each within the first couple of hours we were there.

Same tactics on Clattercote brought me nothing at all. Not even a dicsernable bite.

I know it's a different venue, different day etc... but having proved the day before we were both fishing effectively and accurately I hoped to catch a few fish.

I don't know what the answer is, people say it's a peggy venue but the same (talented) people win every year from different pegs each time, the fish can't just by chance be in front of Graham or Stu every time, can they?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

How were you fishing Paul?I only started to catch consistently whenI started giving it a 50 yard chuck every4/5 minutes but lost my casting rythym and accuracy once the wind got stronger in the last hour and then the bites tailed away.

I do wonder whether in a match thecarp and bream either head for the middle or for the margins where they can, leaving a big barren bit at comfortable casting range in between where most end up fishing.That said Simon Fell had 15 pound of roach close in.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Jeff, is doing the write up Trev and I will let him have them.

I felt a bit guiltytravelling home asI realised that Chris and you were not adjacent.I hope this was not a problem and Chris still enjoyed his day.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Chris always fishes better without me lol he is totally independant. And anyway he would just keep telling me he caught fish and I didnt lol. He always does better than me. He enjoyed it.

Paul H

Reaction score
I fished a cage feeder as I can't get on with the method feeder, not match style anyhow; I'm never confident that the groundbait is still on it by the time it hits the bottom. In my mind I don't really see the difference between the two, not after a few casts when there's a bed of bait down anyhow.

I fished it on the quiver tip with an 8 inch hooklength, size 14 Korda Seamless hooks and a selection of baits like pellet, corn, worm etc... I was casting from peg 12 or 14 about a third of the way across, more or less. Distance wise I'm confident I was hitting the same spot, although the wind took me off course to the left a couple of times.

After a fruitless couple of hours with no bites (that I could see over the wind tow on the line) I took the Baliff's advice and switched to a maggot feeder on my second rod. He told me earlier that a guy the week before had caught 70 odd bream using those tactics casting about as far a Kamasan Black Cap will fly.

I started getting knocks but at that range, using mono and with the wind the bites and wind caused all the movement on the quiver tip to merge into one constant wobble.

I switched to a spool of feeder braid instead and the difference was incredible, the bites stood out instantly from the wind interference however they were sharp, one off tugs - nothing I could strike at and certainly no slow pull rounds.

I eventually caught one fish from under the tree immediately next to my peg but after tempting that I got no more bites from that swim either.

I enjoyed the day, it's always a great laugh at any of the fish-ins but I went home incredibly frustrated with the actual fishing, especially knowing that essentially I'd done nothing wrong after catching so well the day before.

The problem is that I must have done something wrong but I don't know what. I lack the experience of someone like Stu or Graham; I'm sure they would have sat there and known exactly what to do to find the fish.

Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from Paul, but I totally disagree.

Clattercote is a slightly random venue for us non-match types, but the match boys have proved that there are fish to be had.

For me the most important thing is being there.

I only fish one match a year and Clattercote is it; if I catch it's a bonus, if I don't there's always next year and in the meantime I will learn to be as adaptable as possible and dream of unlikely victories...

I said to Andy Nellist in the car park 'I'm so gonna win this!!' and yes, it was mindless optimism but every day in every way I'm getting better and better!! LOL! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Plusas atraditionalist (and as Clattercote is a Memorial match), I think continuity is important.

Once again, thanks to Nigel for sorting out another top day.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Paul,

I had two skimmers on the traditional groundbait feeder in the first hour and a half.I switched to the pellet method feeder with some groundbait mixed in with a small ringers white boily on the hook in the hope of getting the carp going and caught skimmers regularly after that but no carp!They hooked themselves so spotting bites wasn't an issue. Funny thing fishing!

Perhaps the advantage of the method is the fact that the fish home in on the feed and the hookbait is sitting right in it whereas with the groundbait feeder it sits to one side? I also think there is a difference in that the feed in a cage feeder isn't accessible until its retrieved whereas with the method the fish can attack it from the off.

****y, I know exactly what you mean.I look forward to Clattercote greatly every year and hope that one day, probably in vain, I can wrest the trophy from the big 4!(Stu,Graham,Malc and Steve) .In fact I've just joined the local angling club so I can practice my long range legering on their club lake.Sad I know.

Paul H

Reaction score
'Funny thing fishing', it certainly is.

The reason I say I see no real difference between the cage and method feeder is after you've cast a few times there's a bed of bait forming. The hooklength with the cage feeder will surely be sat on this bed of bait just like being buried in the method feeder won't it?

I'm quite interested in this now, why should one work any differently to the other?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Paul,

A couple of things to consider perhaps.

How accurate is any one casting at range? Can you be certain you are over your bed of bait.With the method oviously it is better if you are hitting the same spot as that is where the fish will be, but if slightly off, then at least you have a little pocket of attraction.

I do think the key thing is the fact that your bait is always gauranteed to be in the middle of a mound of feed.If the fish come to the feed then they will find your bait.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Paul, I think you should consider using pellets rather than a method mix which are far more consistent and the reason why matchmen use pellets rather than a groundbait mix. The principle is simple, you soak the pellets whilst you are setting up so no time wasted getting a mix exactly right and the fish absolutely love 'em though you don't necessarily have to use a pellet for the hookbait, anything will do. Stu tells me there is a feature in the next CF relating to this very method and I for one am looking forward to it.

Andy Findlay is an absolute master on fishing the method feeder and he has a video out reviewed by Graham recently so for £12 and a bit of practice you could do a Stu on us next year, you never know. The method isn't just reserved for matches either it works just as well on any lake and is a killer for barbel so look on it as another string in your bow.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The latest weeze on the "pellet" method is to mix your dampened pellets with groundbait so you get the wider attraction of the groundbait in the water with the food element of the pellets.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Clattercote and me just don't get on! Last year was a bit different as I had a plumb draw (far end peg where the boards to the right are meshed which means "no entry" to the bigger fish) and I was able to employ a method I have a lot of confidence in - the pole for tench.

Method Feeder at distance in a wind is definately not my forte. Even when I'm "fishing well" I just don't have the skill or will to do it well! Saturday I fished like an idiot so I defeated myself before I'd even started!

I believe the distance thing is key at Clattercote, whereby 30/40 yards sometimes works for a short while but 50/60 yards works more consistently.

I've experimented several times at Gold Valley with the Method vs Cage (at a range of about 40 yards as it happens). Once I've got the carp going, I've invariably had many more quicker and bolder bites on the Method than on the Cage. Long, medium and short hooklengths made no difference at all. The Method definately worked a lot better.

Not scientific but plenty of food for thought.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't think it's a match fishing thing as I seem to be quite lucky at Clattercote and the only matches I fish are the three FM ones (Clattercote, Gold Valley and the Idle). I used to fish 6 - 8 small club matches a year but haven't bothered with those for three years and they weren't on commercials anyway.

I'm rarelyable to compete with Stu and any other regular commercial fisherymatch angler as you have to be fishing matches regularly. But what we can all do is weigh up the odds when you've drawn your peg and seen what you're presented with, and then stick to a method and bait for at least half the match that history suggests is one ofthe best methods and baits on that water. For me that was method feeder and sweetcorn.

I didn't do particularly well this year but what may have helped me was that I didn't fish for the first 15 minutes or so. I cast out a marker float to where I wanted to fish and then fed the swim with catapulted groundbait for that first 15 minutes. Then I cast my method feeder to the marker and clipped up. Then I removed the marker float after I'd noted a feature on the far bank I needed to cast towards. So that was the distance and accuracy sorted and I already had a bed of bait to cast to.

My plan backfired to some extent because the wind got stronger and I was having difficulty reaching the distance I'd started with and some casts went astray.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Articles on the method often advise that you settle on a distance short of your casting capacity in case the wind gets up later.AdviceI was aware of but for some reason I ignored on Saturday/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif