This years charity fish in

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

That would be the Silkarmourmantis-snake combi rig that doing the biz at the mo.......

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Cakey as the only one with a worthwhile reply to a serious question, what would you recommend, used in conjunction with 15lb line. Or would you consider 12lb main line at Blue Pool, although if I get to fish the swims Frothey recommended, may need a bit of beef to keep fish clear of snags. Always assuming I even get a bite, which would be a first at this event.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Just re read your reply Cakey and you say get down below 12lbs, what would you recommend, and is it safe to go that light. I know Blue Pool doesn't hold monsters, what would you say is a safe lower limit, and once again yours ideas on hooklength materials.

C

Cakey

beings its bit of a runs water and its a bit pressured and the fish have seen it all I would go for the good proven pva rig , this rig disappears in waters like blue pool so could be very helpful !

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Is that solid pva bag?
Still haven't answered my other questions, I could seriously do with some advice.

S

sash

Richard,

I'd agree with Cakey. They've seen it all but we do have the advantage of night fishing which very few people do on there. I'd suggest a softly softly approach to cover during the day and give it some balling in at night.

But then I'm just guessing mate as I've never seen it!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Cheers Sash but I'd still appreciate advice on end tackle/rigs.
Would fluoro hooklength be better than braid, what bs, solid or mesh pvc?
What length hooklengths, running or semi-fixed rigs.
I appreciate it might not be easy to advice until looking at the water, but its hard to adapt and adjust unless you have the stuff available to make the changes.

I am not a 'carper' by my own admission, any help would be appreciated.

S

sash

"solid or mesh pvc?"

I'm sure Wol could advise on that Richard!! lol

A spool of braid (I'd suggest something like Silkworm or Supernova in 12/15lb), flouro and coated braid (mantis in 15lb) will do fine. Plus, they'll be useful for some of your usual fishing. Anything else can be raided from Cakey's tackle box.

L

Little Stu!

12-15lb mainline will be fine Richard. I'd stick with braid for hooklength?s and given your choice I?d opt for silkworm as this will not prove to disturbing to a carp if he brushes his fins across the hooklength (minimising fish spooks).

If the venue has seen everything then I?d imagine short hooklength?s have been done to death so try extending your hooklength to 12-15 inches on at least one rod. Be prepared to strike more sensitive indications if you do opt for longer hooklength?s but by using hooklength that are a little longer you should be able to have the bait a fair way away from the lead and the 12-15lb mainline that may normally stick out like a sore thumb if using short hooklength?s.

Agree totally with the line aligner approach and on braid hooklengths this will aid the turning capabilities immensely. I?d probably play with different baits across all rods but when using a boilie I?d probably opt for 1 and a half baits no bigger than 15mil with the half bait being a pop-up which in itself will give a slightly different presentation (again away from the norm of a highly pressured water).

If this water does not get fished at night as a norm, I?d go against Sash?s advice and ball in bait throughout the day and look to pick the fish up )no normal danger) throughout the night. I?d also fish close in at night across all three rods as you can bet as sure as eggs are eggs they will patrol the margins through the night if they?re not normally fished for. Saying that, I?d also keep an eye on the noise levels of a social if fishing the margins.

I?d stick with PVA for loose feed boiles and would opt for pricking the pva boilie funnel with the hook to help keep the hooklength away from the lead.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Wol what is the advantage of live over dead maggots, don't live tend to wriggle off and disperse even more, or is that the idea to get the fish grazing over a wider area.

F

Frothey

stop worrying!

keep it simple, take pellet, maggots and a half decent boilie and you'll be ok.

sash has got it spot on, not many can fish it overnight, and if you look at the articles of those that have, they've caught.

if i went again, i'd be tempted to leave the rigs out of the water during the day, but keep trickling the bait in...

no monsters? they do go over 30 now, and even the little'uns scrap (clear water?)

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I'm not worried Frothey but would really like to catch a fish, as I've blanked the last twice.
Poor old James will be looking down having yet another laugh at his poor old dads ineptitude.
As I said not worried but I'd really like to give it a good go this year.

So any tips on rig/tactics etc most welcome.

W

Oi Pipe, they luv a zig rig mate. Make sure you have one roving about.

W

If it were me on the Pool then i would be fishing livo's with a little n often approach. I find lives keep em in the swim rooting around longer rather than dead stretched maggots laying about.