Weather forecasts

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know this has been covered before but not for sometime and I cannot remember what previous threads have come up with. The online BBC forecast for my town gives rain all day today and overcast but mainly dry for tomorrow. The Met office one which I also have on my bookmark page, gives the opposite, dry today and rain tomorrow. It is dry at present but I just never know which one to believe. Has anyone a preference that they can rely on to be fairly accurate?

john step

Reaction score
I have noticed that also. They also over egg the weather warnings to cover themselves.
I tend to watch for wind direction on the forecast before deciding where to go especially here in the East those cold Easterlies are killers.

They also get wind direction wrong however. Last Friday I set up with a view to being sheltered from Northerlies. Where did it come from? East from the North Sea.

mikench

Reaction score
In my experience they are all inaccurate . Of the two the MO is better and shows changes hourly. Im fishing and its sunshine and clouds but dry as predicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Today,the sun has been out all morning,warm and pleasant,heavy showers are forecast,so,if I go out of our front door I fully expect a soaking,yesterday evening on return home it persisted down,proper biblical,I got my tackle into the garage first,got my frame and bits hung on my hand made mountings,then run the gauntlet into the house three times,wiping each item down,I was drenched,half an hour later the sun was beating down,doh...

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's amazing how they can unashamedly predict the weather and effects in great detail for many years in the future but often can't forecast the next day correctly here in the present.....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was going to do a few jobs in the garden, cut the grass, bit of weeding,
I cleared some weeds off the patio flags around 10am, at 10.15am as I was getting the lawn mower and extension lead sorted, I get a weather alert on my phone saying expect rain at 11am.
So back into the shed the mower went, so I then decided to sort some pole floats out ready for shotting up.
At 12.15 The mower is still in the shed, the sun has come out , and I am putting floats on winders ready to take to a pool to shot them up this week.
The grass can wait until tomorrow.

seth49

Reaction score
Best weather app I’ve found is, Weather Radar. It’s not bad at all when you consider the weather changes from valley to valley around here some days, the met office is another I have, but it’s not quite as good.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Best weather app I’ve found is, Weather Radar. It’s not bad at all when you consider the weather changes from valley to valley around here some days, the met office is another I have, but it’s not quite as good.
Just had a look at this Seth, looks interesting, I have bookmarked it and see how it goes. Today it has had about 3 showers but it is nice now with a bit of wind. I would have gone fishing. I suppose it is a bit unpredictable at the moment but it is so often wrong. What I find with the two mentioned is they are often a day out of date, what they predict for tomorrow comes today and vice versa. I will see how this weather radar one goes, looks like it might be more on the money, thanks.

steve2

Reaction score
Weather does chop and change, yesterday it poured rain here but my sister just a few miles away had sun all day. The forecast was for a chance of rain we got hit by the chance. I find the forecast for my area is quite accurate these days.

Keith M

Reaction score
Weather forecasting is definately not an exact science and the weather charts which show the air pressures, fronts, highs and lows can be totally different depending on the forecaster on the day who’s giving the forecast and the weather observers who are drawing up the charts for him or her to do the forecast from.

If you look at weather charts drawn up by the different met offices in and around the same regions the weather charts can (and usually are) completely different for the exact same areas with all the fronts, highs and lows etc. often in different positions on the same map.

When I served in the RN as a Meteorologist and oceanographer, the local farmers in our area were always trying to phone us up asking us for our forecasts instead of the civilian met office forecasts (which were a tad more vague) because we had to be a little more precise than the civilian met offices and we used a greater amount of different data and data observation points to draw up our charts than the civilian met offices did.

Keith

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
It's amazing how they can unashamedly predict the weather and effects in great detail for many years in the future but often can't forecast the next day correctly here in the present.....
You are confusing weather with climate I'd suggest .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Today the BBC forecast gives rain in the afternoon and the Met one is very similar but with less rain. The Weather Radar one gives the rain later more into the evening. I like the radar map on this one, I will keep an eye on it for the next couple of weeks and see how it compares.

mikench

Reaction score
Just put of interest thé MO is pedicting cloudy with a 10% chance of rain now. The reality is that it's throwing it down. It was the noise of the rain on the conservatory roof which made me look. It's torrential; so glad I'm not huddling beneath a brolly.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
GO COMPARE???

Just put of interest thé MO is pedicting cloudy with a 10% chance of rain now. The reality is that it's throwing it down. It was the noise of the rain on the conservatory roof which made me look. It's torrential; so glad I'm not huddling beneath a brolly.
You aught to have a look at this Weather radar one Seth mentioned. I put in my town postcode and it gives a one hour radar real-time map for the next hour. https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/7-day/2060~London Borough of Barking and Dagenham

mikench

Reaction score
It's now raining even heavier and the road is a river of water as the drains struggle to cope. So far the deluge has lasted 20 Minutes and shows no sign of abating. More of this monsoon is due later but it's clearly arrived early. The noise is deafening. The darling floods of may.?

It's a hailstorm now with hail the size of 8mm pellets. Now I know how the little fishes feel.?