What animal have you never seen

W

Wolfman Woody

Ron said "I've seen quite a few leopards in the wild, but not when actually fishing."

Didn't know that leopards went fishing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There is one animal I do not like around whilst fishing. That of course is a hippo.

They are the most dangerous large animals in Africa if not the world. They will charge you on the bank and even overturn a boat.

Crocodiles will not bother you by the way if you are afloat.

But walk along a gentle shelving bank......

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I once caught a glimpse of a beaver on the River Lea towpath before it's owner adjusted her skirt.

Y

yoggy

ummmmm...definatly a mermaid!!!!!!!!!!,,ok not exactly an animal,but she`d have to prove it!!!!:-}

S

si

ime still waiting to see an otter everybody seems to have seen them apart from me .but i dont think there are any on the trent .

how much do hippos charge ?3-4 ?

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Pine martin, Wild cat, the beast of Bodmin, wallaby....ou know just run of the mill stuff

as for birds

Kites
bittern
avocet
eagles

and reptiles + anphibians

adder
naterjack toad

S

sash

Had a pair of red kites nesting near a lake I've fished all Summer and often saw them during the day. Heard a bittern on the Broads but not seen one while fishing.

W

Wolfman Woody

Come down here if you want to see some red kites, Lee.

Just sit in our back garden and they'll come to you. Especially if you bring a ham shank or a few pounds of sausages. They love sausages.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Last saw a Red kite your way when going to Wetherby for the BS meeting back in spring. Not far from the Wharfe at boston Spa.

Also saw plenty when down on the Teme and Wye back in July

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I saw a programme on telly recently about the reintroduction of the Bittern apparently they were all but extinct in this country. The problem with ground nesting birds is the dreaded mink, they wreak havoc with them.

Eagles? Lee. Think you may have to go a bit further up than Yorkshire to see them. I had the privelege a few times when touring in the highlands but they are very rare and matters are not helped by farmers and gamekeepers poisoning them. They are a wonderful sight and even bigger in real life than you think.

The Sea Eagle is another wonderful sight and they are reasonably common in the western isles not sure whether they are natural in England though.

C

chris (newbie)

Hmm dunno what animal I would like to see, I've seen many different birds and animals.

However I have seen a family of golden eagle which nest in the cliffs above one of my favourite lochs.

W

Wolfman Woody

Once fishing on a local gravel pit, about 12 years ago. Rain pouring down, sat under my umbrella with all the tackle tuked under it too.

A little water shrew came out of the nearby reeds, walked along a piece of wood, jumped onto my wellie and on the other side was my box of maggots.

Yummy! He leant over the box, still stood on my wellie, stuck his long nose into the maggots and grabbed one. Scurried off back into the reeds.

He must have come back a dozen times or more, each time the same as I sat there absolutely motionless. Afraid to breath at times.

The beauty of fishing eh? Never find bird watchers getting close encounters like this. They're forever moving about disturbing the peace.

Peter West

Reaction score
Red Kite
Osprey
Badger
Adder
Otter
Barn Owl
In any order please.
Seen Golden Eagle, know where they are nesting in Lake District, nested same place for a least ten years, last year had a shrew came up to me, went in my bag of boilies and managed to carry off a 20mm Nash B2, really funny couldn?t see were it was going,

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'd never seen a Fox until this Spring.

I've since seen three including one chasing baby birds while the adult birds (mainly Lapwings) tried to distract it. This went on for an hour or so and they came as close as 20 yards away.

I've never seen an Otter though.

Blunderer

Reaction score
You had never seen a fox?
Bloody hell Matt! They are everywhere these days!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

We have foxes on our allotments--I've seen magpies chasing them I've also seen magpies chasing a sparrowhawk(I think it was a sparrowhawk --it was definitely a bird of prey but it was only small)

Also seen lots of Eagles including Golden Eagles in New England (Massachusetts,New Hampshire and Maine )

W

Wolfman Woody

I'd really love to see an osprey fishing and I wouldn't mind seeing a pine martin too.

But one tiny creature that I bet no-one here has seen (unless in captivity where I saw one) is a wild native dormouse. I've seen the bigger fat dormouse in some local woods, but that was introduced as food. Bloody pest now as they eat all the larches. Native dormouse are almost impossible to find.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

I have shot an edible doremouse whilst out shooting rabbits I was sat under an overhanging hedge waiting for the rabbits to exit their warren when something began running through the branches above my head, Being a northerner and not used to southern fauna I pointed the gun blind above me thinking it was either a Grey squirrel or a nest robbing rat pulled the trigger hoping to move it on, unfortunatly I hit it bang in the head and it fell dead onto my lap.
Went home crying like a baby and didn't shoot again for months.

Gayboy!

Y

yoggy

Swordsy,you are an animal!!!!!!!!!,you being a chef i thought u`d probably have a nice recipe for it!!! ;-]..talking of squirrels i ate my 1st one about a couple of years ago,a mate of mine who is a gamekeeper invited me and the missus over for dinner one night he didn`t tell us what it was until we had ate it!!!!!,i thought the missus was gonna f**king kill him!!!!!!!! :-}