What animal have you never seen

W

Wolfman Woody

"not used to southern fauna"?

They ain't southern, they're introduced aliens. Admittedly, they were introduced on the Rothschild estate near Wendover.

I understand that one recipe involves a nice beurre-blanc sauce. Never tried though.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

?80 a brace or they were 15 years ago the last time I was offered any

force feed them wallnuts and almonds to get them fat then yum yum an old favourite of the Romans

Y

yoggy

?80 a brace!!!!,,bloody hell,,i`d make a bloody fortune around here!!!,all i get for my pheasants is 3 bloody quid!!

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Thats not bad up here its a quid, two quid tops a bird when its "back door"

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the first people I met when I? moved to Wiltshire was the local poacher in the pub'.
He gets you everything from Pheasant, partridge, trout, sea trout, the works and at really good prices.

I hosted a dinner a couple of years ago for the local landowner and it was fun watching him eat 3 courses all of which actually originated from his estate :)

matt

Reaction score
I'd love to see a puma or whatever the often reguarly reported 'big cats' are roaming our land. Or even a walaby.
My most memorable sighting was an owl landing on top of my brolly on a full moon I could almost reach out and touch it.

Y

yoggy

Alan,i sell the pheasants to a local game butcher,but most of them myself and family eat.The tail feathers i give away to a local fly-tyer,even though i hardly fly fish,i have a fantastic fly collection!!.

Reaction score
I've fished the Teme half my life and i'm still to see an otter.

Loads of bloody mink though, some idiots liberated thousands of these little terminators a few years back.

My favourite nature experience was on the river at Bransford when a lamprey swam with its head out of the water right across the river up to my feet and then kind of sat there in the flow lookin at me for a bit before disappearing. I've seen them on their spawning beds before but nothing like that kind of behavior.

matt

Reaction score
I would also have loved to have seen a wild boar. When I was adict of carp fishing in France I heard many boar and saw thier footprints.
I even once reasoned that If I got out of my bivvie me and the boar could run round and round the bivvie and it would never catch me.
In reality that night when one was rooting right outside the back of my bivvie (if the bivvie wasn't there I could have touched it!) I pulled my sleeping bag up and hid till it left with my heart racing!

A born coward with a big mouth!!!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
It wasn't until people on this thread started to name the animals and birds, that I realised how many different species we come across. I've seen a lot of those mentioned whilst fishing and more in the back garden cos it's a tad rural like, but I've never seen an Eagle in this country like a previous poster and would love to do so. Locally we have a lot of Kites (red) and they look magnificent, and whilst at Blenheim we watched an Osprey for ages.

Anyone seen a Bustard?