What do the E.A do for me?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Steve,
£26 for the EA licence, and your asking what you have got for it. What have you got for your £20 you gave to the AT??, A hell of a lot less than you have got from the EA thats for sure.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ray, I live in hope, hope that my £20 will help nail the scum that killed part of the Trent! And may help nail anyone else who ruins fisheries around our country.

Jeff, how do you do that? Three quotes from my one post, I wish I knew how to do that? E.A officials do look in on the FM forum as you know, I'm sure they spotted my thread, unfortunately they have chosen not to comment, now that is a surprise...........NOT!

But, thankfully the FM members have given me some good advice to pass on, so it was worth asking the questions.

And if I reach retirement, probably at the age of 70 if the gov't has its way, I might then choose to get 'involved'. Until then I will take the easy option........

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Yes the Trent, and who gets left cleaning up, thats where part of the EA money goes, and the problem is, nobody can stop these ***** from doing such things.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't see 25 million quids worth of clean up or restocking anywhere Ray, and I've never seen it in the all the years I've been buying a license.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ray,
A pub on the river not far from me polluted it four times! On the fifth occasion they were caught and fined 34 grand!!! They haven't done it again and neither have any other pubs, it sends a signal not to do it when they get nailed.

How much will the E.A spend on the Trent incident? And will they claim it back or just use our money to foot the bill? The polluter should completely foot the bill for the clean up and the re-stock....end of!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Yes the Trent, and who gets left cleaning up, thats where part of the EA money goes, and the problem is, nobody can stop these ***** from doing such things.

In fact, Ray, none of your £26 licence fee will go towards cleaning up the Trent. That's all covered by the 'general pot' or grant in aid and usually out of Pollutions Department's budget, not Fisheries.

What will follow is that the Court case will be heard and any money awarded in compensation will (hopefully) be given to Fisheries Department and that will be spent on restocking if necessary.

If not, then it will be up to a member (of AT) club to get in touch with Fish Legal (part of AT) and sue the offenders for damages (which might happen in addition to any comepensation granted). So it is still important to be a member of both and as an individual and at club level.

S'funny how the biggest whingers are alway those that don't get involved or pay into anything?

Does this surprise me? NO. That's angling for you and always has been.

And Steve, when you get to 70 you'll still be making excuses not to do anything. Let me tell you, the average age of the TFCC members was (until recently) 58. But then most of them have been involved in one way or another for the past 20-30 years. They don't get time (ask Mike Heylin when he last did any fishing), most don't have pots of money, and only a few are retired. They just care about angling and show it in a positive way rather than simply bleating on forums.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
In fact, Ray, none of your £26 licence fee will go towards cleaning up the Trent. That's all covered by the 'general pot' or grant in aid and usually out of Pollutions Department's budget, not Fisheries.

What will follow is that the Court case will be heard and any money awarded in compensation will (hopefully) be given to Fisheries Department and that will be spent on restocking if necessary.

If not, then it will be up to a member (of AT) club to get in touch with Fish Legal (part of AT) and sue the offenders for damages (which might happen in addition to any comepensation granted). So it is still important to be a member of both and as an individual and at club level.

S'funny how the biggest whingers are alway those that don't get involved or pay into anything?

And Steve, when you get to 70 you'll still be making excuses not to do anything. Let me tell you, the average age of the TFCC members was (until recently) 58. But then most of them have been involved in one way or another for the past 20-30 years. They don't get time (ask Mike Heylin when he last did any fishing), most don't have pots of money, and only a few are retired. They just care about angling and show it in a positive way rather than simply bleating on forums.

Well Woody things must have changed, because when I did the workshops, part of the Licence money went on clean up, as for whingers and those who don't pay or get involved, you have NO BLOODY idea what so ever Woody, you really don't.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score

lol There you go again Woody, I am 'Joe Blogs' I aint Mike Heylin!
'Joe Blogs' wants to know what the E.A do for me? 'Joe Blogs' is allowed to ask questions isn't he? The FM forum gives 'Joe Blogs' the chance to reach the 'untouchable ones', or isn't 'Joe Blogs' allowed to do that in your opinion?

If it's okay with you Woody? I'll carry on 'bleating' on FM, as this is the only forum I visit...

Good luck with the pike ;)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
as for whingers and those who don't pay or get involved, you have NO BLOODY idea what so ever Woody, you really don't.

Well I do sincerely apologise if you have now joined AT, Ray. I was under the assumption that you still thought it a waste of time.

Steve, you are most welcome to have a bleat on here or anywhere, but most of your comments are made without first exploring whatr it is like in the real world. And FYI, Mike Heylin (Chairman of Angling Trust) is just another Joe Bloggs who happens to have a full-time day job, runs a fishing club (as Chair and Secretary I think), is Secretary of the Colne Valley Fisheries Consultative, delegate of the Thames Fisheries Consultative Committee, member of Thames Region RFERAC (don't ask I can't remember but it's a consultative body of the EA), member of the British Record Fish Committee, and he's over 60 and well pi**ed off because no one any younger wants to get involved to relieve him of some of these duties.

AND - it doesn't leave him any time to fish!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Okay Woody, you've ground me down and beat me up!

I'll pm you my home phone number in a minute. If my services can be used then they are on offer, I know jack sh!t, but I'm willing to help.

PM on its way....

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

You've got my home number now Jeff.

If I can help I will, feel free to contact Mike with my number.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I work 7am-3pm, but in the new year I will most likely be working 6-2/2-10.

There you go Jeff.....

A

alan whittington

I sympathise with Steve because he sees the barbel fishing on his river going downhill and wants to know why(with no success),i dont know what the general fishing is like but if it is all garbage then its sounding bad,i have concerns that maybe barbel are just not suited to certain rivers/or parts thereof,but Steve and his fellow B.Avon anglers would like to hear that from the horses mouth.
There must be quite a few rivers which are or seem to be in serious decline,my river of choice the middle Thames has fished appalingly for at least 2 years and this year your lucky to get a bite and i for one would like the EA to give a little of their time(as i partially pay for it)to give genuine reasons why,i fear money is so tight at the moment,that they are like lots of others and try to keep their heads down and tin-hats on(or stab vests).

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You may not have to go to the EA directly to find some of the answers you are looking for.

Try some of the big fishing mags and even the Angling papers, they may not have the answers but they might know someone who does.

quattro

Reaction score
Just a thought. would it be possible to have the EA license money ringfenced and allocated for use locally. Accounts could then be published detailing how and where our donations have been used, and local anglers would feel more involved and more inclined to pay up. Otherwise it just seems like another tax, which I'm sure it isn't:rolleyes:
It's the same with the AT. People really do like to see exactly what the money is being used for.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You would have to put the licence fee up then to take on more accountants and that wouldn't do...would it?;)

If your river barbel were not natural Steve,(50years I think) the EA wouldn't re-stock anyway

Muffin

Reaction score
Interesting thread this one, and not just beacuse the Bristol Avon is my local river.

Its all about information flow (communication). Surely as an important job of the EA as doing all the good work they do is actually letting the people who pay their licence fees know what they are doing?

I've read everything I can find about the Bristol Avon on the EA website, its all scientific studies and pretty maps with no actual outcome.

Surely every river should have an overall plan of action with objectives, goals and improvement areas. Why dont they empower local people and fisherman to become involved, its not like most people seek to be involved in things they dont even know exist? What's the EA press office up to these days, maybe there is just no news or updates on things that dont make headline news, such as the Trent pollution.

The EA even have a main office in Aztec west in Bristol maybe I would have thought that some of their employees would take a local interest outside work?

Its not just the EA though out of the 2 main clubs that I'm a member one is so much more pro-active and really wants to improve the fishing for its members, the other with most of the BA on its tabs in my opinion could not care less.

As for the neagtive reaction given by some to this thread, I for one am struggling to find out what I can do to assist and help out my local river so its not as easy as you may think. Its not casue I'm lazy or cant be arsed.

I do struggle with finding out who needs my help and what help I can be. I do get the impression that many angling organisations & bodies (most of which interestingly I've never heard of) like to feel important and derive much more self gratification from the work that they do than perhaps appealing to a wider audience and trying to get more people empowered to help. But thats just my humble opinion.

Steve, as always you stimulate a good debate and this must be for the greater good of our sport, not everyone in the world can be a 'dooer', sometimes we need people to facilitate discussions and provide reasoned debate.

What says you to setting up the BAFCC - Bristol Avon Fisheries Consultative Council?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why dont they empower local people and fisherman to become involved,

You do have - South West Fisheries Ecology and Recreation Advisory Committee (RFERAC). Anglers will be represented on this, I'm sure. What's below that, I have no idea, maybe a SouthWest Fisheries Consultative Coucil?

So your idea of the BAFCC is a damned good one. I'm sure there will be people at the AT that could help you to set it up and get it under way. Perhaps the AT is the place to start.

Brilliant, you just landed yourself and Steve a job - FOR LIFE! :):j:wh

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

You've got my home number now Jeff.

If I can help I will, feel free to contact Mike with my number.

Steve, you only need go on the AT site and give your number there.

I did the same with Gordon Brown, "Hello mate, here's my number if you feel you need any help in sorting out this country from the s*** you've dropped us in." Needless to say, he hasn't been in touch. :mad:

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

How does one get involved then?
Under caution! It's not just for Christmas, it's a job for life, but ask at your local club if they're in any consultancies.

I think we'd cover a bit of your area, Thames Basin? I'll ask.