What does the close season mean to you?

Are you in favour of retaining the present close season?

• Yes, retain the close season on rivers

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No, abolish the close season on rivers

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

alan whittington

Trouble is Chav,its your angling heritage,it should be put into the annals of history,its certainly not mine,i dont want to remember it,let alone have it.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
A three month lay off is a sporting gesture
Sorry Chav, can't let you get away with that.

To put it in another way, you are implying that we who don't subscribe to the reasons for a close season are - not sporting.

It's those kind of remarks that have split anglers for years now and created this false upper-class-"I'm better than you" attitude. Not saying you directly think that, but some do. It's not for me a case of sporting or otherwise, so many have said (even these so-called 'traditionists') it's not perfect and in the main, doesn't work.

So let's be rid of it and find something better. That's the sporting thing, surely?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
June 16th has become part of our angling heritage and as such for many is a significant feature in its self. What is wrong with frothing at the mouth watching shoals of apparently catchable fish darting around - even flirting with the river angler. Give it a few weeks after having a few of them being caught and they have all fu£ked off - back to hiding away and avoiding us..............

A three month lay off is a sporting gesture to allow fish time to gain important condition to allow fish a good breeding season.... Running water is significantly different enough in a number of ways to still waters that Many anglers will continue to support a close seaon.

Sorry to repeat - but It won't happen just like that:wh

Chav,
I was once like you, i was all for the close season, not anymore.

Its old hat, out of date, nature is not better off for the close season, in anyway shape or form, infact, i am sure nature would be far better off with anglers on the river banks.

The close season isnt our Heritage at all, the close season was introduced, it's now time to remove it again, and let anglers back onto the banks.

Running water may be different to some, but the fish aren't.

The thing that makes it even worse are those who then pick up a rod and go fluff chucking on the same rivers, they catch Roach, chub, Dace etc etc, but that is ok, it's laughable.............:)

chav professor

Reaction score
Perhaps lets turn this on its head shall we. I'm not asking for anything to be changed. I think it is nesesary for others to prove a case for lifting/changing the satus quo.

As for sporting - fish get 3 months to get ready for the vigours of spawning. Fish migrate around this time of year and head for spawning grounds. Fish are happy to hang around and infact group together in large shoals. they are happy to do this because we are not catching and returning them - pressured fish will 'disappear' at a time when it is important that they can congregate in peace.

Its nothing to do with traditional vs modern or a 'better than you' attitude - it is a strongly held PERSONAL conviction. Like I said - the close season exists - I don't have to provide an argument to lift it. Just because others flout the current situation means nothing to me. I am happy to act as I feel apropriate on the rivers I fish and I am also happy to move anglers on.

I suppose it is really unenforcable - but try and report a lovely 2lb roach, chub or special pike caught outside the recognised season - Not everyone will want to celebrate with you............

If they replace it with something else, it might not be something we want to live with or make any sense - If i had a spare half an hour - or felt it would really be of any interest - I could quote some of the legislation required to fish rivers in Germany!!!! a change to 'something better' would certainly be a retrograde step. I can't really see the big problem or what the fuss is about to be fair - there are still waters, canals and the sea.

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
please look at the Harrington ticket it states worms and lead

chav professor

Reaction score
The river was literally black with roach spawning this year. I was able to observe the spawning of these fish and follow their progress as the season progressed. They actually head upstream to the shallows and got 'stuck' this year as the river weeded up. There were specimens clearly in excess of two pound and managed fish to 1lb14oz.
roachspawning026.jpg

There is so much more to be learnt about fish than from just trying to catch them.:)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Fish migrate around this time of year and head for spawning grounds. Fish are happy to hang around and infact group together in large shoals.
Sorry mate, it's myth. You have no proof of this and neither have the EA and they should know doing all their radar scans of the water. You'll always find large shoals of fish at any time of the year moving around migrating hither and thither, doesn't mean it's because they're spawning of gathering ready for it. Sorry to say, but it's brainwashing twaddle; sad thing is, enough have swallowed it for years now.

a change to 'something better' would certainly be a retrograde step.
That's illogical, Captain Kirk.

Neither is that the reason why the close was introduced, it was merely the fact that anglers of the day killed all of their catches. We don't do that any more. End of; case proven; get rid of it.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Chav,

The problem is the close season is now a joke.

Come along and meet me and i will take you to a canal and you can sit and fish. Then move down a few yards, the water runs into the river, but you can't fish, yet its the same water, laughable, tell me how that can be right.

I have seen fish spawn in lakes and rivers, nothing different. the still water fish are not in any worse condition than the river fish, infact river fish are in prime condition and we start the close season, again, laughable.

I dont think there is any need to prove we dont need the close season anymore, there was never any need for it to be bought in in the first place, so take it away, and put fishing back as it was.

Lets also stop the Fluff Chuckers from going on our rivers, after all, they do catch coarse fish, and dont forget, it's the close season.

The sooner this laughable situation is changed the better.

A

alan whittington

Im sorry Chav but it wasnt that long ago the close season was on lakes and canals too,but it isnt so important to you as the river stoppage....strange.Also i thought fish spawned on lakes as well,must have been a figment of my imagination.;)

chav professor

Reaction score
Nope, not budging::D:j:D

Nothing wrong with targeting game fish within their recognised season on the fly - Course anglers make accidental captures of game fish during the course season - it is unavoidable. And if you can fish a canal that runs into the river, Great - no problems then!!

just a point - fish survey data etc is always very unreliable - but visit a river on a nearly daily basis and you become aware of the moverment, or changes in fish movements.

Comorant have left secions of river devoid of fish - they are still there - but have learnt to avoid such places........ i have a history of over 20 years observing fish from a vantage point over the river. lovely clear gravel with numbers of roach, dace and chub cavorting. the last few years the fish have been missing and what was clean gravel is now dirty and silty. It was a comorant shooting gallery. the fish are still present but rest beneath tree canopies further downstream.

I can with some reliability predict fish movements as the year progresses through the seasons. Al I know is that after a few weeks fishing pressure - the shoals tend to disperce or become nearly impossible to catch.

Additionally, if something else 'more appropriate' to the present close season - say, changing the dates, shorter or longer, it WOULD be a retrograde step. It would need to be changed due to variatons in climate - would have no idea where we would stand...... could be an agenda to make fishing very difficult for future generations. I am not 100% clear about the reason behind Germanys difficult fishing legislation, but believe it had something to do with not being able to cause un-necessary suffering. That is why catch and release is an abiguous statement. In-deed, anglers in Germany are in a difficult predicament - If fish don't feel pain - how can you cause suffering? But there have been some test cases resulting in convictions.....

I don't want my comments to be taken too seriously and would not want to upset anyone - just airing ones personal opinions.... And yes I can see the limitations to my arguements.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Chav,

I dont think anyone will get upset with your opinions, i am not for sure.

But i just think it's time to move out of the dark ages.

bigchub

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few people who still honors the close season. I like that time to get things done a round the house, do all those little jobs that need doing (so the missus doesn't get shirty!) and form a plan of action for the following season/ I just don't feel right fishing out of season no matter where it is.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I don't want my comments to be taken too seriously and would not want to upset anyone - just airing ones personal opinions.
Same here Chav.

There has to be a far, far better way though. It will require a lot of blue sky thinking outside the box (in modern marketing speak).

A bit like when some people say - "Well, we know the size of the universe, but what's beyond it?" - Who knows, maybe another universe many billions of light years from our own with its own Milky Way galaxy equivalent in which there's a sun and a world full of people and one of them is also saying "Well, we know the size of the universe, but what's beyond it?", we are!

See my point? You have to think beyond that mental boundary and it's difficult.

A

alan whittington

Chav,i certainly wouldnt get shirty,your opinions are your right to hold,however i still detect the sniff in the direction of,its fine on lakes and canals,just keep off my rivers.:)
Also you can still walk the rivers when you fish them.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few people who still honors the close season. I like that time to get things done a round the house, do all those little jobs that need doing (so the missus doesn't get shirty!) and form a plan of action for the following season/ I just don't feel right fishing out of season no matter where it is.

I used to be just like that, as many did when the close season first got removed on still waters, but not anymore.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I can well remember when the still water close season was scrapped people saying "you won't get me fishing during that time, the fish need a rest"
Every last one of those people now fish during what was the close season.
I spend most of my fishing time on rivers, during the year mostly I'm alone. Indeed the stretch of the Teme I fish hardly had a swim cut in this year due to lack of interest. It was like jungle warfare just to get to the water. Not only should the close season be scrapped, but anglers should be encouraged back to the rivers.

chav professor

Reaction score
Chav,i certainly wouldnt get shirty,your opinions are your right to hold,however i still detect the sniff in the direction of,its fine on lakes and canals,just keep off my rivers.:)
Also you can still walk the rivers when you fish them.

Your right Alan, the argument was lost once the close season was lifted from still waters and canals - But WHY were rivers considered different in the first instance?

I personally think that this is the reason.
restocking.jpg

Nothing natural about most still waters these days. Restocking of a mature gravel pit (one of our club waters) - this was one of the richest tench fisheries in the area - sadly stocked to the hilt with carp to 'give anglers what they want'................

Maybe I am living in the Dark ages, fish where you want, when you want, got to catch everytime you go so massively stock the lakes to make it easier......... we are truely living in enlightened times. The stuff of dreams - less challenging fishing on tap!

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Most of the rivers I fish could well do with restocking too. Not with the Carp of course. If as many anglers fished the rivers as they do lakes perhaps the money to restock them would become available. It's a catch 22 no fishermen no restocking and the fishermen won't return till the rivers have some fish. I just don't think the close season helps the situation.