What does the close season mean to you?

Are you in favour of retaining the present close season?

• Yes, retain the close season on rivers

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No, abolish the close season on rivers

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chav professor

Reaction score
Chav, are you the bailiff for that stretch of river?

No Stik,

It was a free stretch...... Eyes and ears...... eyes and ears.......

Step 1: Be polite e.g. 'have you caught anything?' - its disarming! hard to lose their temper with someone who is being friendly...

step 2: Mention that they are fishing in the close season........ very embarressed they will pack away - nearly every time!!!!!........

step 3: If they fail to move, 'mention that you are going to call the E.A. and report out of season fishing on that given stretch.

In over 10 years have i ever needed to go past step 2. I did send the dog in for a swim.............. heaven knows, its happened to me in the past when i have been fishing legally (you know, the mad dog that rifles through your bags for food or the man throwing the stick - 'sorry mate, didnt see ya there').......

I can see it now 999 called 'Yes, police please!!! (indignant tone)A man politely asked me how my fishing was going and then had the audacity to tell me i was fishing in contrevention of the E.A. close season restrictions. I don't think he was even a baliff'.........

You don't need a stab proof vest - just confidence and politeness (people skills) - I don't need protection because I am not enforcing the law, unlike an environmemtal agency official....... hence - no laws broken.:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Chav,

Get rid of the joke close season and you wouldnt need any of your steps, plus you wouldnt run the risk of getting a smack in the mouth for sending your dog in for a swim.................:D

chav professor

Reaction score
Chav,

Get rid of the joke close season and you wouldnt need any of your steps, plus you wouldnt run the risk of getting a smack in the mouth for sending your dog in for a swim.................:D

you after a smack Ray....... (not really) - no just breaking it down cos apparently its illegal to tell someone their fishing illegally in the close season.

get rid of the joke 'lets lift the close season' and fish within the law:p

A

alan whittington

Chav,i admire your attitude,but i think you would find the law would side with the miscreants in this case(m'lud),it nearly always does,i mean,you would have to lie to get away with hitting a burglar on the head,ie not having the object you hit him with,there for that purpose,rubbish i know.

chav professor

Reaction score
Assault by offence of dog swimming - crime report 'Mr. Barker 'AKA' Chav - sent in his dog - IN PLAIN VIEW of the victim causing much stress and anxiety to the victim. The victim would have been required to have been signed off from work (had they had a job). In fact they have lost all confidence and feel unable to attend the Benefits centre to sign on.........

I have to deal with difficult situations in my job from time to time and at all times have to be seen to work within the framework of the law which at time seems to 'side' against all common sense. Trust me, this doesn't come close.

BTW, I have nailed my colours to the mast and crossed pens with 'Woody' - I have just moisturised (helps to remove the tar and feathers in the shower..........)

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I did write a long reply on the other thread but after clicking submit everything was lost.

In a nutshell it just takes a two worded reply to the issue, selflessness and selfishness.

Showering Chav? I got the impression you just jump in the river. :D

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
If i remember correctly,it was the barbell society, who had a big say in keeping the close season this was reported in Angling times some years ago,,just why they had the right to say keep it i dont know,just for one species fish,
and which are thriving in stillwaters ,and its not hurting them in keepnets

A

alan whittington

If i remember correctly,it was the barbell society, who had a big say in keeping the close season this was reported in Angling times some years ago,,just why they had the right to say keep it i dont know,just for one species fish,
and which are thriving in stillwaters ,and its not hurting them in keepnets

Wait for the barrage from the barbel police and i'll beat Fred Bonney to it,who states(certainly not i)thriving means breeding,which certainly most do not.:wh

chav professor

Reaction score
I did write a long reply on the other thread but after clicking submit everything was lost.

In a nutshell it just takes a two worded reply to the issue, selflessness and selfishness.

Showering Chav? I got the impression you just jump in the river. :D

Yes John,

The CSG could rightly think I can be sent right in!!! But fortunately, I only enter ditches which as I understand are still fully protected under the current legislation:D

stikflote

Reaction score
walking my dog this morning saw a lad catch a barbell on a worm,i asked him
if they are good to eat ,he replied,i dont no, but ive got a recipe for em,
next big barbell i catch im going to eat it ,or feed it to the cat:wh:wh:wh

stikflote

Reaction score
LOL,Fred,
i did put the the extra L in makes it totally different a Barbel or Barbell
which might need tow rope to catch it ,ps i do not normally need a spell checker,, and i didnt know there was one on this forum,or
where to find it , keith