What does the close season mean to you?

Are you in favour of retaining the present close season?

• Yes, retain the close season on rivers

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • No, abolish the close season on rivers

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Hope you're alright. Caught many more 8lbers since? :D:D:D I still have your other photos on file!!!

Christian - 1200 words! Sunday, don't forget! :wh :wh :wh :eek:

Mine's done :cool:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
All

Angling Trust stand up and be counted on the close season ??

Your having a laugh, they couldnt make a decision on how to finish a game of darts when left with a double one.......:eek:

Tell me the difference to a fish in a river if i catch it now, or on June 17th ??, dont tell me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, fish know dates.....:), thats why the close season is a joke, and makes angling laughable

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've added a poll to this thread, just for a bit of fun because it wouldn't and couldn't be representative of all angler unless it was done more scientifically and subjectively by a poll research organisation.

little oik

Reaction score
There's no uuuum ooooh aaaah mmmmmm in that list for those that dont want to be counted as trads or modernists :wh :p

chav professor

Reaction score
Its rigged!! can't vote for keeping the close season - something fishy here.

The whole world has gone mad, whatever next? Hot cross buns in december? Pancakes in August?

I like to use the 3 months close to clean my Bernard Venables box and re-whip all my cane rods in preperation for the glorious 16th!! Half a pint of gentles, a quill float and a willow rod rest. Its such a shame the whole world can't enjoy the simpler pleasures.

Last edited:

Andy Banham 2

Reaction score
what does te closed season mean to you

i have voted for keeping the closed season however even if it got abolished my club would listen to the river bailiffs and the only real difference would be a later finish

jonty 2

Reaction score
I voted for getting rid of the Close season on rivers.

If you listen to some who vociforously defend the rivers close season you'd think only barbel swam in them. Personaly I like nothing better than pitting my wits against river carp.

When you have the same people, who fight tooth and nail to keep it on rivers, going off to fish on stillwaters from March onwards it makes it a joke, never mind the hypocracy of it all.

I for one would happily join a campaign to rid ourselves of this outdated law.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Those against the close season only seem interested in the effects of angling pressure upon fish - ie that the fish spawning behaviour etc is not affected so there should be no close season. Even if this was the case, effects on other river wildlife - including bird nesting, vegetation growth etc does not seem to concern people?. Probably OK for lightly fished waters, or places with heavy public access anyway, as angling may not be an issue. But i am disappointed that these aspects do not seem to concern many anglers.

Personally i would like to fish rivers - certainly through April, as i cant find ANY pretty stillwaters that are not heavily carp-dominated or are syndicated and inaccessible. Of course there are plenty of carp puddles with less natural features than tub of water in the lawn, but i don't go fishing just to catch fish.

While i am making enemies, who thinks its a good idea to put catfish everywhere?. Perhaps i should take up cat-fishing with 3Ib carp deadbaits.

Twenty year break from angling and don't like the changes i am afraid. Used to be able to fish to get away from things i didn't like.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
When you have the same people, who fight tooth and nail to keep it on rivers, going off to fish on stillwaters from March onwards it makes it a joke, never mind the hypocracy of it all.
Worsae was when we were just getting rid of the close season on lakes etc. and some wanted it bringing back on all waters - these same people then beggered off to Ireland to fish there during our close season.
who thinks its a good idea to put catfish everywhere?
criminally stupid to say the least. Unless all your want to catch is big catfish and 30+lbs carp - how boring!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well facts are around here, that the banks, birds, and all other wildlife does very well with anglers fishing all year round.

I think this is due to the fact that more food is to be had. Birds get maggots, groundbait from the floor etc etc, all helps to the breeding, and the Vegatation seems to be just fine.

Only tonight whilst walking the dogs around Fishers Green, a couple of guys fishing, were feeding two Chaffinches with maggots and bread crumb, Then the Robin as always came down, great to see.

If it wasnt for anglers the wildlife would be worse off IMO, we are the eyes and ears of the countryside, no other sport is out at the hours anglers are.

chav professor

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Found this (now historic) press release from the E.A. - it makes interesting reading and illistrates clearly that if the E.A. considered breaking a law they are 'obliged' to enforce. It would certainly remove some of the arguements that no one cares/checks/'its not fair Miss! - they can go course fishing on the rivers.

Environment Agency News Release

On 30 March 2007, Keiron Moss (24) of Anson Road, West Bromwich, West Midlands, was found guilty in his absence by Worcester Magistrates Court of using prohibited hooks and bait during the coarse fishing close season. He was fined a total of £150 and asked to pay £150 costs.

The court heard that in June 2006 the Environment Agency mounted boat patrols of the Rivers Severn and Avon, following reports of illegal fishing during the coarse fish close season.

On the 10 June 2006, Environment Agency Fisheries and Recreation Officers witnessed Keiron Moss fishing on the River Severn at Upton upon Severn. Mr Moss informed the officers that he was fishing for eels, which is permitted during the coarse fishing close season. When asked to reel in his lines, the two rods that were in use had small hooks, size 12-14 baited with maggots, which are not permitted in the close season.

Speaking after the case, John Andrews, Fisheries and Recreation Technical Officer said: "People think they can get away with close season fishing because they are out of sight of a road or path. We see a few surprised faces when anglers see us in the boat. The close season gives river life a chance to recover in the spring. Nowadays, there are plenty of opportunities for people to fish year round on canals and still-waters, so there is no excuse".

ref: Closed Season prosecution

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

No fishing in rivers, streams and drains .
The Environment Agency is reminding anglers in Lincolnshire that the closed season for fishing has begun. This warning is issued as the closed season begins.
Closed season, which protects spawning fish, started on March 15 and runs until June 15 inclusive making it illegal to fish in any river, stream or drain during this period. Environment Agency fisheries bailiffs will be on patrol and anyone caught breaking the law faces a potential fine of up to £2,500.

The first few days of the closed season saw several reports of illegal activity, especially in urban areas such as Spalding, Lincoln and Northampton. On the first day there were several reports of illegal activity, with the Spalding area – the Rivers Glen and Welland, Vernatts Drain and Coronation Channel - proving to be hotspots, along with other urban areas.

In the Grimsby area Environment Agency officers are focusing on the River Freshney, and in particular the stretch between the Riverhead and Laceby Acres.

Roger Ferguson, Environment Officer at the Environment Agency, Lincoln, said awareness needed raising about the closed season, a legal requirement under the Salmon And Freshwater Fisheries Act.

He said: ‘Nobody admits they know about closed season, they know there is one but not when the dates are. We have put signs up at waters where we have had offences in the past and work with fishing tackle suppliers to educate people.’

And he warned anglers who flout the law they would be caught: ‘If you do fish illegally, you will get reeled in by the bailiffs.’

Members of the public are asked to report all illegal fishing between these dates by calling the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60.

Source: Environment Agency Fishing News

ref:No fishing in rivers, streams and drains: fishing closed season

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PHONE THE E.A. Its is true that not everyone will be caught etc. However, if a pattern of behaviour is picked up and a problem is identified in a region/river (the Derwent Boys won't like that;))

richiekelly

Reaction score
"the close season gives rivers a chance to recover in the spring"

from what? certainly not from abstraction and hydro plants that are being allowed by the EA. does that mean that anglers do more damage to rivers than the EA?

stikflote

Reaction score
i have phoned EA about Derwent boys ,on walking dog yesterday 9 were fishing ,answer we can only send offices if they are available,they are very busy,

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Here's how to fish the close(d) season on your river

Phone the EA and report people fishing on a stretch of river far away from where you intend to fish - if you are told that the EA are too busy to patrol it - fish there

If you are told they will send someone out - then fish where you intended originally
:):););):D

A

alan whittington

No ones saying its not illegal to fish during the close season Chav,we all know it is(hopefully),trouble is they arent catching many,why....because their like the police,only go where its easy and safe,stab vests dont stop you getting a kicking,people are getting killed for less,i think i'd let em fish rather than be at risk,especially in respect to the fact that you can be the victim of the law for interjecting.
As for the rot about us not caring about birds nesting etc,cods....people arent caring when they are fishing lakes and canals either,or canoeing,or mountain biking,or just plain walking,poking their noses in every orafice,anglers if you hadnt noticed spend more time settled in their swims than the others ive mentioned,allowing for more peace and quiet than them.

Andy Banham 2

Reaction score
closed season

chub, the ea will not give anymore" section 30,s for catfish" so said our ea representive at our clubs agm when controlled stocking of catfish was mentioned

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Such is the interest in this topic, only 22 people have participated on the motion....... probably through a lack of interest, boredom, only a few of us actually bothered one way or another. when pushed, I suspect Law abiding Anglers who purchase a licence could be polled - but I suspect at a push it would be 50/50........ See most people not too bothered - happy to switch to still waters as the law change allowed.......

Oh, and moved my first anglers off the river today....... polite reminder its the close season -- embaressment ---(of course they new - didn't think anyone would be interested) -- moved off.

I'll have the Rozzers on me back now will I Alan? No more than when you ask someone to pick up their own dogs muck off the footpath etc, sorry can't park in a disabled bay - you havent got a badge etc ...... Chav's Big society (I am sure the governemnt based their whole election campaign on it).

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I suspect Law abiding Anglers who purchase a licence could be polled
I asked for that with the top brass some years ago, simply question on licence stubbs or online application form. Letter went in round file.

See most people not too bothered - happy to switch to still waters as the law change allowed..
That's a wrong assumption. Being forced to do something else and getting fed up with complaints falling on deaf ears does not signify anglers are "happy".

Edit: Happier than they were when it was a full shutdown, maybe. :) :) I'll give you that, son, I'll give you that.

Have you done your 1200 words yet Christian? ;)

Last edited: