Which rivers hold barbel in the UK?

nicky

Reaction score
the ely in cardiff there were reports of large barbel being caught in there last year in the AT

njb51

Reaction score
River Arun, and the other one near it that I have completely forgotten the name of!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Definately the Whitewater (connected to the Blackwater up in Berks), seen a couple there but have never hooked one.

Rumours of barbel in the Test around Romsey (from fluff chuckers I know) but certainly not confirmed.

Does the Moors River count?Had one barbel from there on the old CAC stretch.

Specihunter

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Grumpy Git wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>The Marden, a tributary of the Bristol Avon and the River Ray a tributary of the Upper Thames. Both confirmed from club websites.</blockquote>
which club website is the ray on grumpy , as it isn't a thames tributary .

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
The Ray runs through Swindon, not the Oxfordshire river of the same name, and joins the Thames to the east of Cricklade.

clicky /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
cheers grumpy too many rays in the thames area . hmm now theres a challange for the ray on the cherwell.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Grumpy Git wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The Ray runs through Swindon, not the Oxfordshire river of the same name, and joins the Thames to the east of Cricklade.

clicky /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif </blockquote>
I have never run through Swindon in my life/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I have never run through Swindon in my life"

Ray,

Itruns through Swindon because if it walked it would most likely get mugged!

(no offence intended to the residents of Swindon)

LongMan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>The Waveney or is it Waveley has Barbel</blockquote>

Its the Waveney, can anyone back up the claim of Barbel in this river?

Please.

Its one of my local rivers, sorry to hijack the thread.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I think the question here should be which rivers do NOT hold barbel. Not many English rivers I'll wager and this should be causing concern.

Barbel were native only to the east flowing rivers of England, ie: Yorkshire Ouse and tributarys, the Trent and tributaries and the Thames and tributaries.

In all other rivers they wereintroduced by man and make no mistake they have had a greater or lesser effect on the indigenous species of these rivers.

Many years ago the River Severn was an excellent mixed fishery all along its not inconsiderably lengths. The roach, chub, bream, dace, trout and salmon fishing were excellent.

Until old Boris took over.

I like the barbel, but quite frankly I would much prefer it it they were confined to the rivers where they belong.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
That's why I always say, if you put Barbel in rivers where they don't belong, then you can put them in still waters, right or wrong I don't care.

The barbel boy's, no matter who they are, do not have a leg to stand on, playing with nature, no matter what side of the fence your on.

I would be over the moon to see them removed from many rivers, and people talk about Zeds killing our waters

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

This is what I have against the Barbel Society. When you get amongst a group of these people, it's as though there is only one species of fish that matters - barbel!!

I might like their organisation moreif they would appreciate that the spread of barbel can and is causingproblems for other species.

And their slogan of "Swim Wild Swim Free" in my opinion, is a load of old b*****cks!!