Which rivers hold barbel in the UK?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I certainly would never use a keepnet for barbel.

But if you go roach fishing and want to get a few good ones, the correct use of a proper keepnet will help you to do this. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if a roach is released after capture it will often take off down river and take the whole shoal with it.

And my belief has been shared by many great roach anglers of my acquaintance from **** Walker to Peter Stone and from Tag Barnes to John Ledger.

The best rule for all concerned is "No barbel in keepnets".

Although I have met a few keen barbel anglers who do believe in resting barbel in some sort of net, especially in summer after a hard fight.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have never lost a Barbel from being in a keepnet. Yet I have seen a number die from being kept in landing nets to recover, a favorite wayof the Barbel Boys.

If the keepnet is fixed correctly, there is no better why of retaining fish, these days I don't use one as I travel light and keep on the move. The keepnet I used was the Dogs.

Once the fish had made a full recovery, all I had to do was undo the two clips at the bottom of the net, twist the net open and the fish would swim out, no need to handle them again.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Nottinghamshire - River Idle and probably the <u>Rivers Maun</u> Meden and Ryton too.

And in Yorkshire, add the River Rother.</blockquote>

Mark Wintle, for more info on this one check up http://www.nottinghamanglers.co.uk/

Dave69

Reaction score
There were barbel coming out of the River Hull last season. A couple of stretches and fish between 3 & 12lbs reported.

K

Keith Truscott

Didn't see the Gt Ouse on here, also the Witham and the Nene.

Keith

D

Dave Burr

You've found barbel in the Gt Ouse Keith? I thought the otters had eaten them all /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

Mark, have you got the Clyde? Scottish fish, but they speak with Lancashire accents mostly.

George387

Reaction score
they have all now converted Sean and lost that accent its been nearly 30 years since they moved up /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif courtesy of some maurading scots match anglers...lol, they are also contained in the scottish avon but these are only a strain from the clyde

Wiktor z Polski/Dr. Wodka

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mr. Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) wrote (se)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>One thing our rivers don't need, are more Barbel</blockquote>
The Ribble does. Then I might have a chance of catching a few this year!</blockquote>

Ribble?.........No no barbel in there,specially no doubles either.Forget the ribble and severn too,NO BARBEL IN EITHER OF THEM.They were there but they are not there any more.Very unattractive places to fish,no barbel there/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.No that I dont want anybody to fish there /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif,Just waist of time,no fish there,Dee hmmm, no fish either.Lakes full of fish,barbel,chub and barbel and carp in lakes, the brits record for barbel will soon come from lake,they are so strong in the lakes that I cant imagine and have plenty of carp food.I think it will come out soon,it may be in 2 weeks time or soon after this river season starts again/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif.Lakes,nice.....

Why do someone want to know of the rivers where the barbel lives?

bigfish74

Reaction score
Bradshaw brook trib of Irwell,river Croal trib of irwell.

and another load gone in the irwell at salford not too long ago and got put in the irwell/croal confluence over 20 years ago but i bet no-one can find them:D

andy

redfin123

Reaction score
This is what I have against the Barbel Society. When you get amongst a group of these people, it's as though there is only one species of fish that matters - barbel!!

I might like their organisation moreif they would appreciate that the spread of barbel can and is causingproblems for other species.

And their slogan of "Swim Wild Swim Free" in my opinion, is a load of old b*****cks!!

here we go again, good old ron slagging some one off again. go on then lets have a f-----g good argument.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

has anyone mentioned the little river don which runs into the main river don near deepcar yorkshire.