Why use Keep Nets outside matches?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that Keith, I didn't know about that chemical learn something new every day :thumbs:.

I believe (for right or wrong) that fish are simple creatures that we as fisherman credit with more intelligence than they actually have. However that does not mean they are stupid, incapable of communication, suicidal regarding getting caught etc. What it does mean is they are not capable of complex thought processes that human beings partake in.

I do think that fish are simalar to humans in other ways though, there are certain attributes that seem to happen depending on where you live, even 40 miles apart and we speak totally different for example. it's no different with fish, roach in one river can act totally differently to in another.

What do you think tench bubbles are?......they fart and give you a clue :eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
And releasing the fine clouds of bubbles that come out of the silt through their Gills when they are nosing about looking for bloodworm and such :)

Is this a quiz? :confused: Im not very good at them but I do like quizes :)

Keith

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
And releasing the fine clouds of bubbles that come out of the silt through their Gills when they are nosing about looking for bloodworm and such
I see it happen on one of our club's ponds, but there are no tench, or at least very few, in there these days, something that is a great disappointment to many of us. Bream can also create lots of bubbles, but I don't think it's because the gases come through there gills, it just comes out of the silt anyway as it's disturbed. It's marsh gas (methane) coming from decomposing material on the bottom and after a build up you might often see larger bubbles coming up naturally.

Anglers used to think that the larger bubbles were from big bream. A company making spirit levels used to buy these bubbles if the angler could catch them and store them in a jar. Good anglers well practised in collecting them could earn a few bob to pay for their bait etc. and the better quality spirit levels using these bubbles were well sought after by tradesmen. I read that in a **** Walker article. :cool::wh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s the bubbles that travel along the surface like there’s a frogman below that always make me think it’s tench feeding.

Reaction score
I have fished on the Lea and had big patches of soap sure and guess what,they have most often been barbel,but have been chub,tench and carp,never bream funny enough...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use nets in matches, one for silvers and small fish up to 2lb, another for carp and fish over 2lb. I don't take them with me when pleasure fishing, only because it is extra stuff to take and I couldn't be bothered having to dry them out. There are some good points made on here regarding what some term as fish welfare. How many who are against the use of keepnets, use a livebait for predators. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Anglers used to think that the larger bubbles were from big bream. A company making spirit levels used to buy these bubbles if the angler could catch them and store them in a jar. Good anglers well practised in collecting them could earn a few bob to pay for their bait etc. and the better quality spirit levels using these bubbles were well sought after by tradesmen. I read that in a **** Walker article. :cool::wh

Must remember to take a jar with me next time I fart in the bath.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
It’s the bubbles that travel along the surface like there’s a frogman below that always make me think it’s tench feeding.

And because the Tench often bury their noses really deep into the silt when they’re pre-occupied on bloodworm the Tench bubbles can sometimes move straight on past your bait, which is sitting on top of the silt; which can be very frustrating.

I think they might be passing the silt out through their gills while filtering out the bloodworm, especially when they’re really preoccupied, and this is probably why Tench bubbles are usually (not always) much smaller than bream or Carp bubbles.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
In my often desperate pursuit of tench I have often looked for bubbles and often found them but sadly neither tench nor bream put in an appearance! On one water which is supposed to contain lots of tench I looked into the gin clear water at the gravel bed 3 to 4' beneath me and saw thousands of bubbles seeping out of the gravel with not a fish in sight ! Another myth debunked!!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In my often desperate pursuit of tench I have often looked for bubbles and often found them but sadly neither tench nor bream put in an appearance! On one water which is supposed to contain lots of tench I looked into the gin clear water at the gravel bed 3 to 4' beneath me and saw thousands of bubbles seeping out of the gravel with not a fish in sight ! Another myth debunked!!:)

Your right Mike, the bubbles thing is more often than not just gas erupting from below the substrate.
Fish do make bubbles though but I t isn't the actual fish that produces them from it's body, they bubbles come from the substrate as the fish grub about in it. Obviously larger bottom dwelling speicies will cause this most pften but all species will cause bubbles when feeding on the bottom.

I know of a number of spots on the rivers (exact same on some still waters also) where there is often a stream of bubbles errupt every now and then. They've been coming out of these exact same spots for years, as long as I can remember! No idea what's the actual cause of them but it certainely isn't fish.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
On one water which is supposed to contain lots of tench I looked into the gin clear water at the gravel bed 3 to 4' beneath me and saw thousands of bubbles seeping out of the gravel with not a fish in sight !
That could be an aquifer feeding the stream. You find most natural bubbles, ie: marsh gas, on waters surrounded by lots of trees where the leaves have fallen in and are rotting away in the silt, which in turn is many years of rotting leaves.

Must remember to take a jar with me next time I fart in the bath.
I doubt they're quite as good and who in their right mind would want a spirit level with a fart bubble in it! :eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
All of the bubbles you see on the surface come from the bottom (well almost all anyway) and as Ian (tigger) said their mostly just trapped marsh gasses etc. escaping from the bottom of the lake or river.

The only bubbles that interest me when I’m after Tench are the clouds of tiny marsh gas bubbles erupting from the bottom which you can often see moving across your swim usually in a line, and it’s these marsh gas bubbles that Tench disturb and emit through their gills when they have their heads down in the silt feeding on bloodworms and other things; which produce these classic clouds of small Tench bubbles moving across your swim.

These Tench bubbles are usually found more often when the lake has a thick layer of silt on the bed and they don’t happen on all heavily silted lakes either.

Although there are still a few bubbles escaping from gravel beds the Tench don’t very often bury their heads in gravel so don’t usually cause these classic clouds of small Tench bubbles on harder more gravely bottoms.

Most anglers who fish for Tench have seen these clouds of pin bubbles; especially if you live in the southern region; however as the Tench get fewer and fewer; like they have in many areas; there are a lot of anglers who have never even seen any of these classic Tench bubbles.

Intercepting these Tench bubbles moving across your swim isn’t always successful as sometimes the Tench don’t even notice a bait sitting on top of the silt when they have their heads further down in the silt, and it can be very frustrating sometimes.

Keith

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ll just nudge this thread back on track and say that if I was fishing a hard venue like a canal, a park lake or a natural water containing lots of silvers I would probably use a keepnet as it harks back to my youth when the final pleasure of the day was lifting the net and surveying your catch.

Reaction score
I think sometimes how nice it would be to have a net in,then think the day I take one I'll probably catch bu@@er all and waste the effort of carrying it...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I would probably use a keepnet as it harks back to my youth
Don't know how old you are John, but when I last fished one of our club's lakes, one chap turned up in a boiler suit , but in a mid blue with white shoulders, like he belonged to a team. He proceeded to put out a net and caught hardly sod all. What made me laugh was he looked like a throwback in his boiler suit to the 1970s match scene that I remember well.
I do understand where you're coming from though and one day I might do that on one of our rivers that fishes well for silvers at times! Particularly summer evenings.