Wild carp

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

We used to fish a small lake in Shropshire that held wildies --It was so shallow that you could wade right across it -- and in a really hot summer it used to dry up to about half its size

When you hooked a fish in there all hell would break loose -- they used to go mental .......I think the biggest fish in there was only about 7 or 8 lbs

The Monk

Reaction score
I article Mr Bibby and a man with your background and experince,I really wish you would write more/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

Mojo

Anyway Mr Monk, stuff all the genetics, are there still wildies in the pond near us? Chapel Pool? I DARE a water bird to land there carrying king carp genes on its feet!!

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi Jay mate, hows it going, naw, chaple pool is no more, the land hasreclaimed it, the last time I went up there you could only find a few rushes where the water used to be, the other pool is still there though mate, the Mill pool near the wall, but it only has a few kings in now/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

Mojo

Shame, I remember reading the article you wrote about it - the mill pond always looked nice tho, just never fancied diving over the wall with me gear - old war wound ya know!

The Monk

Reaction score
haha, yeah I fished the Mill pool a few times over the years, mainly for tench and crucians, never had a carp out of it though, but never specifically fished for them though, it is a nice little water, or was, i`ve not seen it for years. You`ll have to call round some time for a brew mate, it will be nice to see you again./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
Although you`ll be lucky to catch wild carp these days, you`ll still catch plenty of carp that are pretty much pi**ed off/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

Mojo

Yeah, will do that m8y. Am getting out a bit myself at the mo - the young'un is fishing mad (that's my boy!). Even bumped into Mike on Ashenhurst the other night (he was emptyin the place lol)

The Monk

Reaction score
good old mike, I must catch up with him too, give him my regards Jay if you see him again, yeah its great getting the lad interested, its something he will never forget, one of the finest educations you can give them really, a love for the natural enviroment and wildlife, what better way to do it than through angling/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifThe last time I fished asdhenhurst must have been around 1076 that hot summer, full of small carp and chub in those days, I did a few night sessions on the place and took around 30 carp and chub, a really strange water, I also fished that Roche View near Bury if its still there??

M

Mojo

1076? Jeez, u don't look bad for your age!!! Yeah, roach view is still there - I think they netted the carp out tho. Been fishing Middlewood @ Worsely mainly and Bowker a bit. Ashenshurst is a funny water, easy to catch but not really got me head round it though if that makes sense? H is havin great fun catching 1lb roach and rudd up in the water tho - and playing in the odd carp of mine - 9yrs old and a 10lb grassie to his name already!!

The Monk

Reaction score
haha typo of course/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, god is he 9 already, I cant believe it?, get him over to France mate, never had a 10lb Grassey, thats a big fish, our Lee was 25 yesterday, hes a solicitor living in York, I cant believe where the years go????, although thinking back it wascirca 1990 when we attended that SACG meeting, thats 18 years ago mate????

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I also fished that Roche View near Bury if its still there??"

Yes Nick; Bury was still there a few weeks ago when I looked on the map . . .

[stick smiling face - - - > here]

The Monk

Reaction score
haha/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifand still producing black puddings mate/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ed....that rings bells with me too, but can't think where the lake was.......but when the one in my mind was in it's drought conditions it was as tho the wildies were trying to bury themselves in the mud....perhaps their instinct told them it was survival time?

The Monk

Reaction score
I heard of that before Paul, it may be a instinctive trait of fish generally, of course the ASfrican lung fish burries itself in mud for years when the rivers dry up, i`m not saying British freshwater fish are capable of doing this of course, genetically they couldnt of course.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I'm a great believer in watching and taking in what we see Nick.......at least now i'm older! luckily a lot of what i saw in my younger days stuck....at least the bits that matter, lol

Folk like you, Ed, and myself didn't go round with our eyes shut,British fishmay not genetically be able to survive in the mud long term, but perhaps "survival" and nature just made them hold on to the potential "last" minute?...........a six inch mud bath one day, and a torrential downpour the next may well be a factor?....so i think you are right and it is an instinctive trait of fish generally.

Damn i wish i were 18 again and knew what i know now!..............on second thoughts perhaps not!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif