Winter

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
slatts

nice to see you are a pot noodle man. Ya cant beat em for a quick belly warming scoff. Little pots of morale they are.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Slatts cold water carping is about location like carp in your fish pond they are prone to shoaling up really tightly. So location is key. Small baits and very very small PVA bags of baits fished on Flourcarbon leaders in line leads and Flourocarbon hook lenghts, obviously with small sive 12's or 10's hooks are the order of the day. I am not bothered if I get bream or tench as at least its activity and if we can trick these fish well we can trick carp and carp will ofetn feed along side or bully off other fish in the swim. Do not over feed the carp as they do not need much food just a little to keep them interested.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Winter Carp Fishing

With winter fast approaching, many anglers will be hanging their rods up when the first hard frost arrives, but what they don't realise is, there are many rewards up for grabs for braving the cold, here is how I approach my winter fishing.

Venue Choice

Make no mistake, winter fishing is hard, and choosing the right venue for a winter campaign or even a few day sessions is crucial. A shallow well stocked venue will provide you with the best chance of a bite in the cold, it really depends what you want from your fishing, venues such as Thorpe Lea in Surrey, Southlake in Yateley, and Linear Fisheries in Oxfordshire are all excellent winter day ticker venues worth considering.

The Right Kit

Keeping warm in the winter will not only keep you happy, but will also make you more efficient and increase your chances of a bite in the cold. Lets look at some of the kit needed to make winter fishing comfortable.

Bivvy – A good sturdy bivvy, with a twin skin to keep the warm in and prevent condensation is essential, a heavy duty groundsheet will keep the cold and the rain out too and generally make life a bit more bearable. Good examples are the Chub Cyfish+, the JRC STI, and the Trakker Armadillo.

Sleeping Bag – A good quality 5 season bag is worth investing in if you are planning on doing some serious winter night fishing, a thermal sleeping bag cover will provide added warmth in the coldest of weathers, depending on how much you feel the cold. Good buys are the Trakker Peachskin, JRC Stealth and the Aqua Duvet. A Trakker Thermal Bedchair Cover will set you back around £30 and can turn a 3 season sleeping bag into a 5 season arrangement.

Clothing – I don't want to tell you how to dress yourself but its surprising how many anglers are under gunned in the clothing department when it comes to winter fishing. More thinner layers of clothing are better than a couple of thick layers, if you do get too warm then its easy to remove thinner layers and still be comfortable. There are numerous fishing clothing manufacturers with good ranges of winter clothing, a bib and brace, jacket combo is a great way to keep warm and dry and I personally go for the Pro Logic Max 4 Thermal range, well priced, well made and very very warm, Trakker, Chub, and ESP all do good clothing ranges for a wide range of budgets are requirements.

Cooking and Home Comforts – A good quality petrol stove is perfect for winter sessions as gas stoves can be hard to light in the coldest of weathers as the gas turns to liquid, petrol stoves will work in the coldest of weathers, and are superb for making moral boosting drinks and hot food! The Coleman Sportster is a fantastic bit of kit, and a stove well worth investing in, with a small amount of maintenance each year it will give you years of cooking and tea making!
There are a vast array of gadgets and bits of kit to make life more comfortable on the bank, bivvy heaters, portable DVD players the list is endless, with the nights drawing in and darkness arriving around 5pm, and first light not until 8am that's a lot of dark hours spent on the bank, make life as comfortable as you wish.

Once you have your winter kit sorted, and a venue arranged you can start to plan your fishing. Do as much research as possible, with the more popular day ticket waters you can find out reams and reams of information if you dig deep enough, how does the lake fish in the winter? Any areas that produce well in the colder months? The more research you can do, the better prepared you can be.

Bait – This is a subject I could write pages and pages on, but for this piece I will keep it simple and suggest a few tried and tested baits.

Boiles are the obvious choice, steer clear of high oil content boiles, your good summer fish meal bait will more than likely struggle to produce in the winter, a good fruity or bird food based boile will see you right, nut based boiles such as the Dynamite Tiger Nut boiles are usually a good bet in the winter, try your own and see what works for you.

High visibility fruity pop ups produce time and time again, yellow pineapple pop ups and orange tutti fruitti's have accounted for thousands of winter carp and you should always have a tub of either in your bag, when the going gets tough a single pop up can often produce the goods.

Maggots are a favoured year round bait of the pleasure angler but they are also a fantastic winter carp bait, if the lake you target is full of small nuisance fish then you may find they are not very effective, but if carp are dominant then they can be a very instant bait often encouraging carp to feed even in the coldest of weathers, fished with a large PVA bag of freebies and mag aligner style or even using one of the Korda maggot klips, maggots can be devastating!

Pepparami is a very underrated bait and has caught me lots of carp in cooler weather, fished with a mesh bag of pellet and crushed pepperami, often tipped with a fake piece of corn it can often produce a take when the boiles aren't being touched.

If you have been baiting a few spots around your lake through the summer and autumn, then don't assume you have to stop once the winter arrives, if you keep presenting bait on the spots the carp can be encouraged to continue feeding all the way through the winter, keep topping up the bait and try not to stop the baiting up, if you do stop the carp will slow down into a winter slumber and either slip into a semi dormant state, or find somewhere else to feed.

Keep your eyes peeled, showing carp in the winter are very rare and should you see signs of carp you need to move onto them to maximise your chances of producing a take.

Winter is a time to be cherished on the bank, the number of anglers will be dwindling, the fish will be at good weights and in peak condition. However, the fish are without question harder to catch, but that just makes it all the more rewarding!

So here are my top 5 tips for winter fishing;

1) Kit yourself out properly, being cold and uncomfortable wont help you catch fish!
2) Make sure you have a supply of hot drinks and food, a steaming cup of tea can be a fantastic moral booster when the fishing is hard going.
3) Be prepared to up sticks and move if the fish are not in front of you.
4) A single bright pop up can often induce a take when other baits are not being touched.
5) Keep at it! Winter fishing can be tough and gruelling, but the rewards can be great!

I hope you find this helpful and are encouraged to give winter carp fishing a try, until next time tight lines and good luck!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have to say the above by Ian Gemson is a first class offering for anyone wanting to try Winter fishing........very nicely put together-crisp and to the point!

I am not a 'long spell' Winter fisherman any longer-I tend to go for(up to)5/6 hour spells over several days IF the weather looks settled but I still think most of the above applies...

Its the sort of article the angling weeklies should dish up more often....I shall print it off for friends more youthful than I who fancy having a go!!

Great stuff!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I must say, that is an excellent, thorough and comprehensive write up, that clearly shows how anyone willing to try this type of fishing, how to go about it, and how to get the best out of it.

Congratulations Ian.

pelican5

Reaction score
mr gemson
thank you, that is much better than any article ive read in magazines ive been buying advertising "never blank in winter" and so on. the only thing i'd add to it is to add the bombay bad boy potnoodle to the stock of tea and morale boosting feeds,the bad boy is a belly warmer!!!!
i'll be printing it off and giving a copy to my brother in laws and for myself to take with me friday night.
ive never really fished the winter before and i dont really have all the equipment;
my bivvy is a nash titan viper but no winter skin
i have a all in one suit,from argos but warm
i do have a great pair of fishing boots with thermal socks in them plus my own thermal socks
i have been using the same boilie for the last few months,since i started fishing again,which is amber strawberry but i do have a pot of mainline pineapple pop ups and i'll be getting some dynamite tigernuts for friday.
there is a lot of nuisance fish in the lake so corn and maggots usually get snapped up by those.
i have a sleeping bag that is very warm,cant really sleep in it with clothes as it gets to hot so i just put it over me.
the wife keeps saying xmas is coming so i cant really buy anything now but i will be upgrading my bivvy etc over time so im ready for next year.
thanks again to everybody for all the help it is so appreciated and any fish caught friday will be photographed and hopefully posted on here.
thanks again

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Just be careful of the Warm One Piece Suits, they're great for keeping you warm when you are static, but if you start to sweat they keep the cold sweat against your skin and actually make you colder.

You want layers of clothing that help to wick away sweat from the body and therefore keep you warmer.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
No Probs, I've been there, i bought a one pice suit thinking it would keep me warm, the only problems i had were, when they were to warm i had to either take them off or tie the top round my waist.
At the time i was river fishing and doing a lot of walking, and i quickly found out, i was sweating loads when wearing the suit and at the end of the day i was actually colder.

Frothey

Reaction score
slatts - don't change the bivvy, just get a skin for it. amber strawberry (if that's the one you've got) will catch just as many fish as any other bait in the winter, don't get stuck in the "change a bait if you blank" frame of mind - blanks happen and it's rarely down to the bait.

pelican5

Reaction score
stealph
yeah your right about the suit and having to take the top half down and then getting cold and putting it on again,must admit i did find it a bit cold during the early hours if the morning.
frothey
im not really one for changes bait on the back of a blank but i will try something new on my 2nd rod ie pop up or particle,my brother in law used to change baits 4 times in a day session and i kept on at him,he gets it now!! i find it a confidence thing.
i didnt know you could get a skin for that bivvy,it is about 8 years old plus it does have a broken bit at the spreader although my local shop have said they can get parts.
i do have a bag of amber strawberry's in the freezer so will be taking them with me friday
thanks again

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
They did a Winter Skin and an Extreme Canopy for the Nash Titan Bivvies.

If i remember correctly, the Extreme Canopy was bigger than the Winter Skin.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Desperation = eating noodles with the aid of a disgorger; I remember it well.:eek:

I tend not to fish on Saturdays, I'm afraid; busy being a taxi for el Sproggo, who doesn't fish, but thanks for the kind offer; I'll check out the second point on any future visits.

That post from Ian Gemson is a proper "keeper", and no mistake!

Time for thermals, hats, thinsulate mitts, and digging out the 'pins with resin backs (not so cold as metal!), I fear; good luck with the carps, I'll be after more traditional winter types, I think. There are nice roach and perch in there, I hear...
Keep us all posted if sport seems to improve as the leaves rot down!

noknot

Reaction score
Some top advice and posts Guy's!
One tip from me, is not to wear all your thermal gear in the sleeping bag, yes you will be nice and warm, but when you get up you will freeze, better to take them off when you sleep, as your body slows down! So when you get up then back on with the thermals and that will keep you a lot warmer.
As once you are cold, it's very difficult to warm up again!

pelican5

Reaction score
thank you to everybody who posted on this thread.
nice to know so many people will take the time out to give some advice,a lot of time in mr gemson's case!!!
great advice from everybody and now i know what to use for my potnoodles if i cant find my fork,thanks mr tyler.
ive got some shopping to do i think for next winter.
looking forward to tomorrow night now,catch or not ive got some new things to try out!!
hopefully a good catch report coming saturday
thanks again

GertR

Reaction score
Ye Great thread here Guys.
Ian some good info there mate.

Seeing that i am from a warmer country i am learning the hard way LOL.
But went out today again and was warm as toast even in the rain.
Think i am slowly getting there LOL.
Must just get the thermals sorted for when it gets really cold.
Just not sure about what to buy though?

And i saw a guy the other day wearing something over his top boots and his bottom pants, can somebody maybe tell me what it is called? as i think i need some seeing that i am feeling a bit cold there sometimes.

Frothey

Reaction score

GertR

Reaction score
Thanks Frothey and Stealth Viper.
Will take a look and maybe post here again if i need your advice about something please.

Thank You.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

4) A single bright pop up can often induce a take when other baits are not being touched.

Guys if i could maybe ask another question here.
I have had some good fish up to 23Lb now since i started fishing here in September.
But with all these leaves now the last 3 weeks basically has not been going well.

Mainly presentation being my problem, seeing that i only fished bottom baits in September and beginning October these spots are not clean anymore and the leaves getting stuck on my hook all the time.

Now regarding popups, would you advise i fish it strait off the lead or a choddy.
I have been giving the choddy a go but seems to be struggling sort off with the same problem.
I am fishing in silt though not too deep but also not too shallow.

Too be honest i think even previous years i had the same problems and obviously only got back on the bank when it were really getting winter if i look at my catch results, had good fish threw the winters before.

But i want to sort this out because like yesterday i found the carp and they were feeding but my confidence is currently not what it should be in my presentation and i am not getting pickups where i should but the problem is my presentation?

Maybe you guys have some advice i could use?
Thanks