Winter

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I am still just a little confused about how much i should prebait these spots as i do not know how much they will start slowing down or the population of the areas i am fishing.
But time on the bank and observation should start telling me and getting me on the right track.

Hello Gertr,

Now that the cold weather is settling in, you could try just fishing a single bright bait to areas that you think the fish are, or to areas were you see fishing topping.
Sometimes that one single bait is enough to get their attention, and as there isn't any free offerings around for them to mull over they have 2 choices, take the bait or leave it.

You could try very small bags of pva mesh with some pellets in along with the single bright hook bait just as an added attraction.

If you are bedding in for the night, you could bait up a few areas but very sparsely and then if you get a take, re bait that area and cast out to it again, or just use pva mesh bags on the hook to re bait it afterwards.

Wrap your single bright hook bait in Paste might be a good idea too, as you are adding attraction and some free offerings but not over feeding any fish in the area, and the paste will break down quite quickly even in the colder water.

The thing for me would be to try searching the swim, by casting out a single hook bait if you don't get anything after 30 minutes to 1 hour, you can wind it in and try another area, and, you haven't left bait all over the place.

Something like these would be ideal, oh and don't forget the bait dips to add extra attraction -:

BREAKdown-2.jpg

I hope this gives you food for thought.

Last edited:

GertR

Reaction score
Stealph Viper

Thank you for your input.
Yes well i am spotting Carp in a few different areas now, so what i think could be beneficial is to bait up one of these spots, i started doing it now but not heavily only a couple of hands full, but spreading the boilies a bit so that they are forced to move around a bit.
I will then be continuing threw the winter baiting this spot lightly.

Then other spots i have left and will then be trying the route that you suggested with the bright high viz baits with no extra feed going in except PVA bags with the hookbaits.

And then other spots just a handfull now and then.

I think by trying different approaches on different areas it should help me nicking one of them out and this will also put me in a position to see what method is working the best.

I think some other areas i could also trickle in some particels now and then.

Then all i will do is keep on the move and first checking some spots out before i start a session and this should put me on some carp.

Thank you for your input will use it in forming some plans, and setting up some traps.

GertR

Reaction score
NASH ZERO TOLERANCE BOOTS.

Is anyone myabe using these because i need some advice please.

If i am usually a size 9 shoe, then what size must i buy these boots in to fit OK.
A company advised me 10 1/2 but i am not sure seeing that it is the only size thay have available?

I also cannot find any shops having them in, so that i could go and fit some of them on.

GertR

Reaction score
Thanks contacted them so it's sorted.

OK i have a second skin now on the way and some boots socks gloves and a new hat.
What i want to know regarding the Layers that you guys are talking about what else should i buy. (The Video of Matt Hayes just stop's short of him saying what you need after the second skin)

I am using a Nash Max Combat Jacket at the moment with some Waterproofs for the rain.

Should i buy a hoodie or something like that for over the Second skin then?

I will also buy a better jacket because i know that one will get a bit cold when winter really sets in?

Thanxs
Gert

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It is all about Layers, It doesn't matter how many layers (well so long as you can still move).

Ok, you now have your 2nd skin, then i would probably wear a sweat shirt or a hoody, and then a fleece, and then my Jacket. If you can keep yourself nice and warm, you will be able to concentrate on the fishing rather than concentrating on trying to get warm, and, you will be a lot more comfortable.

The way the layers work is, that you can add or remove layers relatively simply to suit your weather conditions without sweating to much, and if you do sweat, then the material can wick the sweat away from your body, hense reducing how cold you get and keeping you warmer.

GertR

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys the last couple of weeks.

I went out Monday and were as warm as toast and banked 4 Carps.
One of them being my best catch in this Country to date.

Thanks Guys and keep it up.

GertR

Reaction score
No Frothey i haven't but will look into it LOL.