Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary: January

strikerbw

Reaction score
Fred,

I meant before I was a member I know numbers weren't like that. All I'm trying to get across is that you and Rich should just ignore it. If you believe that the BS is great then you just got to ignore ppl who clearly love winding you up and it doesnt matter what others think. I'm not just on about these bickerings but all bickering on all the sites . Surely it is better to just get on with the fishing. The reason I left is I couldnt be bothered with all the politics and for the reasons I just previously mentioned.

Surely it would look better if you just Rose above it. Going back to youngsters, they are continually told by parents teachers to rise above ppl giving them stick, so why is this different for grown men?!?

I know , cause it was the case for me as a young amateur, that seeing all this nonsense would make you think twice about posting, which is a shame as forums can be a great way of learning things, especially if like me you had nobody to show you! It's even worse when you see that this bickering is also being done by people who amateurs look up to as they are well known names in the barbel world.

Fishing is fishing. Sat on the banks of the Severn in the snow and sunlight, as pretty as a picture, last weekend with Robin keeping me company, now that's
What fishing is about!

Sticks and stones.....

Bw

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ben, I know what you meant in respect of numbers, they have never been in the thousands.
Sorry,I won't respond to anything else you've written, too many looking for an argument, I'm afraid.

Cue....

shelly

Reaction score
... or ask at your local chemist, they're sure to have a soothing cream.

I’m not a doctor but I diagnose Thrush, I can confirm you need cream to cure an irritating C**t:D:D

strikerbw

Reaction score
Fred,

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Surely the fact you seem to be involved in so much bickering means your as much to blame. If you don't enjoy it you do give the impression that you do. Just post about fishing!

Bw

trigga

Reaction score
Sorry,I won't respond to anything else you've written, too many looking for an argument, I'm afraid.

Too many Fred? You mean it's not just one or two then . . . .

What rattles my cage is you are so quick to call people rotten for sniping at the organisation you represent, yet at the same time you happily throw in little digs regarding BFW or the ABF.

You call fowl regards name calling then refer to one member as "slimey old X " and another as thick headed.

You are just as bad, if not worse, than the one or two individuals you claim us all to be.

Best of all is your constant attack on those who do not use their real names. You both had your chance on a Barbel forum that insists on users using their real names and you both blew it.

magna barbus

Reaction score
Oh Dear,

And Magnus Barbus, please split your post into paragraphs, attempting to read it has given me a headache in more ways than one.

There you are Ron I have edited my last Posting, I hope your poor old eyes rest easy now....whilst we are on the subject can you get my top secret name right, it aint Mangus (sounds like some afflicted scot) its Magna Barbus, which translates to Great Barbel..... peace be upon you all :)

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Too many Fred? You mean it's not just one or two then . . . .

What rattles my cage is you are so quick to call people rotten for sniping at the organisation you represent, yet at the same time you happily throw in little digs regarding BFW or the ABF.

You call fowl regards name calling then refer to one member as "slimey old X " and another as thick headed.

You are just as bad, if not worse, than the one or two individuals you claim us all to be.

Best of all is your constant attack on those who do not use their real names. You both had your chance on a Barbel forum that insists on users using their real names and you both blew it.

Just for clarification trigga,I never did subscribe to BFW and you can check the records on that ;)

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Ben. Hope you are catching a few.

Last week had a pheasant on the banks of the Thames taking bits of boilies from my hand. Great.

Graham

cg74

Reaction score
Just for clarification trigga,I never did subscribe to BFW and you can check the records on that ;)

That maybe the case Fred but you were banned none the less - Persistent spamming I do believe?

As for Rich F. wasn't it for being antagonistic, then he wormed his way back in, only to bitch and snipe about the A of BF, banned again and god knows why but that was changed to him leaving of his own accord.

Oh and before you ask; I was banned for my "continued negativity shown to a super moderator"
Something I'm neither proud nor ashamed of..... As for leaving the A of BF, I chose to leave because I didn't like the heavy handedness and double standard of one of the commitee, that coupled with me finding Tony Rocca's constant bitching about the BS tedious to say the least.

dezza

Reaction score
my top secret name

So what are you scared of?

I really don't understand why self opinionated people have to hide behind a false name. It denotes cowardice in my book. For all I know you might be a known angler who would command some respect, certainly from me.

But by using a pseudonym you are relegating yourself to just another Troll.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

Its all very interesting and perhaps a lot deeper than we think, I don't suggest that cheating or lying is wide spread at the end of the day those type stories are purely anecdotal, and whilst we can take them on board we cant do much with them, but my point is this, because of the pressure on the so called celeb angler for their successful capture of specimen fish of any species.

I truly believe that theses guys will do anything to promote their status, I don't think they now get a buzz from seeing themselves in paper, I don't think they are motivated by the peace and tranquillity of a day by the water, I don't think they look forward to buying a new rod or reel, or maybe reading a book, they are totally consumed by their position as the current legend, a few weeks back I counted 8 euphemisms describing Angling Times regular contributors, they were as follows:

Anglings greatest all rounder,
Carp legend,
Barbel Ace,
Pike guru.....

I think because they (the celebs) see themselves and position threatened by supposed rivals, their message becomes blurred, I would like to see more emphasis on the thought process of Angling, you must admit we do a lot of it, I for one, have, for the last 40 odd years have probably every day, thought about fishing one way or another, problem solving, planning, frustration, excitement, success, the next trip etc. but the current trend of writing is: turn up, cast out, catch a fish of a lifetime, take my photo and aint I marvellous.

Let us see a little more depth and inspiration, rather than the familiar photographic guide to specimen hunting made easy... that is as long as you use this bait, and this rod lol!

Excellent post, I couldn't agree more.

Now let's have your real name and you'll receive the respect you deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right lets get this straight.
Firstly I have never mentioned ABF or BFW on this site.
Trigga gives every indication of being involved with both of those organisations and I'm pretty certain at this early stage,who he is.
As he's bought up BFW, I will tell you why I was banned, and yes Colin is right, it was for "spamming".
What was happening (and it all happened around the formation of the other group that I've never mentioned on here) was that if I was asked any question about something Barbel Society related, after putting up messages in reply, there would be the usual suspects, coming on and knocking the BS.
The moderators, some of whom were wearing the two hats of BFW and the other organisation failed to moderate.
Shall we say as well as the moderators on here (do).
As a result I just refered those asking the question direct to the appropriate answer on the website or blog of the BS.
So the failure of a moderating team to work without bias, lead me to "spam"
If that was what it was.
Now, as far as the ABF is concerned I have no idea what goes on there, and have no wish to know what goes on there.
It is of no surprise to me to hear what Colin has to say about Rocca, that is what he and his cohorts did on the BS site, and from time to time have done on this site.
What all this is about, and some of you are helping by stoking the fire, is personal, nothing more and nothing less. So nothing to do with barbel fishing.
It's bully boy tactics by some mostly Rocca's cronies,(and you of all people Colin should know that) to get individuals like Rich Frampton, Steve Pope and me to say sod it, I don't need all this personal stuff it's only fishing.
Well for some years, and I touched on how long it has been earlier, that has been the case and we are still here, we have stood our ground.
We're not going to chuck in all we've done for the Barbel Society, just because a group of shits want it to be their bat and ball.
Their bat and ball I may add, that they had no wish to keep in good condition whilst they were members, and did nothing when it came down to actually keep it in good condition for fellow members.
So despite the claims that we have lost members, maybe we have, but as a a result of those people no longer being around, we have seen returning members, and because of the work being done to make ourselves available to prospective members, membership is growing, because we have something to offer.
It may not reach the original numbers of members from it's early days certainly not at speed, but who could expect it too, in the times of financial stress we have suffered for the last few years.
What I will say is that those bully boys wont get hold of our balls!

So that's all I have to say, you can take that as fact, or as I've said before you can do the other thing!

Last edited:

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Last night after all the texts and hassle on here I was at an all time low.....very low. The game that is played had nearly beaten me....... but it didn't.
I will not be posting on here again but I am not going to give Mr.Rocca and his spineless associates the pleasure of winning so I ain't going anywhere as far as the BS is concerned.
I get far more messages of support and appreciation from people than I do the negative ones.
So...tight lines everyone.
Rich.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Very well said Fred.

As regards the Rocca Trolls, just take no notice of them. Years ago I used to get upset, but not now.

Sorry that you won't be posting on FM any more Rich. FM needs members like youself, people with guts who are not afraid to post using their real names.

magna barbus

Reaction score
Hi Ron and the rest of grumbling masses....(I mean that with affection :)), I have never hid behind anyone or anything in my life, I don't intend to start now, I chose the pseudonym because I was asked for one, never realising it would cause such offence, and be used on every posting, if you look on BFW you will see my name is clear and bright with no false names, I will change my details accordingly......oh yes, my name is Lawrence Breakspear.

Simon K

Reaction score
Its all very interesting and perhaps a lot deeper than we think, I don't suggest that cheating or lying is wide spread at the end of the day those type stories are purely anecdotal, and whilst we can take them on board we cant do much with them, but my point is this, because of the pressure on the so called celeb angler for their successful capture of specimen fish of any species.

I truly believe that theses guys will do anything to promote their status, I don't think they now get a buzz from seeing themselves in paper, I don't think they are motivated by the peace and tranquillity of a day by the water, I don't think they look forward to buying a new rod or reel, or maybe reading a book, they are totally consumed by their position as the current legend, a few weeks back I counted 8 euphemisms describing Angling Times regular contributors, they were as follows:

Anglings greatest all rounder,
Carp legend,
Barbel Ace,
Pike guru.....

I think because they (the celebs) see themselves and position threatened by supposed rivals, their message becomes blurred, I would like to see more emphasis on the thought process of Angling, you must admit we do a lot of it, I for one, have, for the last 40 odd years have probably every day, thought about fishing one way or another, problem solving, planning, frustration, excitement, success, the next trip etc. but the current trend of writing is: turn up, cast out, catch a fish of a lifetime, take my photo and aint I marvellous.

Let us see a little more depth and inspiration, rather than the familiar photographic guide to specimen hunting made easy... that is as long as you use this bait, and this rod lol!

I think you're simplifying it too much and not allowing for the pressures in the medium in which it's presented.

Each contributor (celeb, if you will) has an allotted amount of space. Being a visual medium there'll be a requirement for pics. So we're already talking about a limited word-count in any given piece.
If it took a week to catch the fish, would you want to read about 6 days of blanks even if there were space enough?
No and neither would I. I want to read about what works, preferably and why it does.

And don't forget the editing process within the publication, whatever the "celeb" has written will be tailored to the magazines desires, regardless. Which is outside their control.

You might be surprised how often features/trips planned months in advance fail to produce a catch and are then never published, but because you don't get to read about them, you assume they don't happen.
So who can blame someone for pre-baiting and doing all the tricks we often do ourselves to give ourselves the "edge" to make a session successful?
To condemn this is entirely hypocritical.

The readers don't want to read about failure, the publications don't want to produce "null content" articles. It reduces their competitiveness in what is a small and competitive market.

With regards product placement, why do people get so het up about it in fishing? So what if they don't use the product in their "real" fishing. Do you think all those actors and celebs advertising Brand X on TV etc actually use it?

And do you think any less of them when you watch them in their acting roles or whatever they do?

Of course not.

Perhaps we should give Steve P some credit for admitting the blanks, but giving some thought to something else as "filler". He could have just "not" submitted a piece and made an excuse?

Last edited:

strikerbw

Reaction score
Hi Ben. Hope you are catching a few.

Last week had a pheasant on the banks of the Thames taking bits of boilies from my hand. Great.

Graham

Hi graham, hope your well mate. I've been winking a few out! Decided to give the pike fishing a go and it resulted in a new pb chub on a big lamprey section. Funny old game this fishing lark.

The Robin was entertaining but he wouldn't move off my feeder rod so bite detection was difficult but it was entertaining none the less .

Hopefully bump into you over the summer sometime.

All the best ,bw

magna barbus

Reaction score
Fair Comment Simon K, but I disagree as my thoughts be them right or wrong believe that the present bubble gum writing is shallow and smacks of the promotion and elevation of the writer rather than the inspiration and the informing of the reader. It may be an age thing, I come from an age where I was inspired by Walker, Hilton,Stone, Taylor, Bill Keal, Tag Barnes and Peter Wheat et al, and I will be first to admit that doesn't make me right and I am open to discussion.

But it is nice the thread is back on track and discussing the Celeb culture that Steve first started.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Ben. The xx ran some Barbel Teach In days last season that would be an ideal opportunity to fish with some really knowledgable members if they happen again.

When I spoke at the xx Conference a few years ago the membership was around 1200 and is now just above half of that. (expect those figs to be challenged)

Of course many moved to other organisations for the very reasons you highlighted and see mirrored on here.

No doubt disappointing, given the excellent work by Pete Reading etc. They do have some really helpful members and is certainly was a very friendly place from my knowledge.

You would have probably have received the info about about those sort of things and an apology for the way you were welcomed by some in your pm box.

Don't be afraid to ask any fishing questions on the fishing bit. I will try and give as much advice as I can, and there are some very very good anglers here on FM.

Hope to se you on the Wye or elsewhere when the weather gets a bit warmer for the old 'uns.

Good fishing