Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary: January

Simon K

Reaction score
I don't disagree Lawrence, that the "quality" of angling writing has degenerated in absolute terms from previous generations. The main difference is that very little is pioneering nowadays in the way it used to be.

Also that the media this writing is presented to us through in the current age is tailored to shorter attention spans and immediate messages.

It won't be long before all media consumption is by internet via hand-held technology and paper is a thing of the past. Watch the content shrink even further when that happens.

Text message alerts when a big fish is caught, anyone? A la "Twitchers" network? ;)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Like me, Lol you were probably brought up on the excellent pieces of pure magic in the "Creel" magazine.

Its changed, but so again has everything else...take football for example. Its all about endorsements, marketing and product and service placement.

I simply don't buy any magazines. I do have to say the Barbel Fisher is still a pretty good Magazine though.

I wonder if a magazine without the quick fix mentality would survive nowadays. I doubt it.

Graham

barbelboi

Reaction score
I haven't bought any mags for years. Used to have the whole series of Creel in the 60's - now just got the number 1 issue.
Jerry

magna barbus

Reaction score
Simon/ Graham you are both right of course in different ways, although the creel mag was a little before my time, I grew up and was influenced, by Coarse Fisherman, Coarse Angler, Fishing Magazine, The Anglers Mail and The Angling Times, I think those days will never return to be honest, the older you get the more nostalgic you become.

My views are not based on nostalgia, though my personal history is and my development as an Angler is my reference point, its with me and always will be. My thoughts are much deeper than that, we are faced with angling being in decline, especially certain types of Angling, we have the Angling Times circulation plummeting to all time lows, so why is this, is it a cyclical event, and at some time in the distant future will we see its resurgence? I doubt it, part of Angling's gratification process is the sense of success in the midst of failure, commercial fisheries have taken this away.

I have always said (forgive me for repeating this) fishing was never meant to be easy, most sports and pastimes relish the challenge, even other factions of our past time make things difficult for them selves and relish the challenge, up stream dry fly, fishing for large Carp in low population waters, Terry Hearne is a great exponent of this and not only writes about his success, but also conveys his discomfort, the blanks and his disappointments in his writings, this creates empathy, understanding and inspiration with the reader, and more importantly, the way he over comes his failures, unfortunately the current handful of weekly writers seem to fill the papers with pictures and pap ( my opinion).

I accept that we need prominent anglers rather than the celebrity culture at the forefront to entertain us, to inspire us and to be inventive, but also, more importantly for them to maintain the moral high ground of Angling, to contain the positive messages (subliminally or overt) on the value of fishing, its benefits and its rewards, rather than the..... as long as you buy this, and use that message.

I think the whole celeb thing is a lot deeper and rather sinister, its psychological and manipulative, instead of being philosophical and thought provoking. But at the end of the day, these are just the thoughts and ramblings of an old Barbel fisherman......lol!

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Right lets get this straight.
Firstly I have never mentioned ABF or BFW on this site.
Trigga gives every indication of being involved with both of those organisations and I'm pretty certain at this early stage,who he is.
As he's bought up BFW, I will tell you why I was banned, and yes Colin is right, it was for "spamming".
What was happening (and it all happened around the formation of the other group that I've never mentioned on here) was that if I was asked any question about something Barbel Society related, after putting up messages in reply, there would be the usual suspects, coming on and knocking the BS.
The moderators, some of whom were wearing the two hats of BFW and the other organisation failed to moderate.
Shall we say as well as the moderators on here (do).
As a result I just refered those asking the question direct to the appropriate answer on the website or blog of the BS.
So the failure of a moderating team to work without bias, lead me to "spam"
If that was what it was.
Now, as far as the ABF is concerned I have no idea what goes on there, and have no wish to know what goes on there.
It is of no surprise to me to hear what Colin has to say about Rocca, that is what he and his cohorts did on the BS site, and from time to time have done on this site.
What all this is about, and some of you are helping by stoking the fire, is personal, nothing more and nothing less. So nothing to do with barbel fishing.
It's bully boy tactics by some mostly Rocca's cronies,(and you of all people Colin should know that) to get individuals like Rich Frampton, Steve Pope and me to say sod it, I don't need all this personal stuff it's only fishing.
Well for some years, and I touched on how long it has been earlier, that has been the case and we are still here, we have stood our ground.
We're not going to chuck in all we've done for the Barbel Society, just because a group of shits want it to be their bat and ball.
Their bat and ball I may add, that they had no wish to keep in good condition whilst they were members, and did nothing when it came down to actually keep it in good condition for fellow members.
So despite the claims that we have lost members, maybe we have, but as a a result of those people no longer being around, we have seen returning members, and because of the work being done to make ourselves available to prospective members, membership is growing, because we have something to offer.
It may not reach the original numbers of members from it's early days certainly not at speed, but who could expect it too, in the times of financial stress we have suffered for the last few years.
What I will say is that those bully boys wont get hold of our balls!

So that's all I have to say, you can take that as fact, or as I've said before you can do the other thing!

Fred, you need a lesson in paragraphing from Magna Barbus...:)

I'm not going to get in a pointless argument with you, but regards BFW, you certainly have posted derogatory remarks about that site.
As for the A of BF, I can't recall you ever being negative about that set up, though RF most definitely has been very down on them, but on a positive; I'm lead to believe Tony Rocca has been given a wrap on the knuckles about his continuous bitching about the BS.

The point is Fred, like it or not, you DO represent the BS, so when you become involved in stupid online spats, it DOES reflect badly on the BS.
You might be wondering what odds it makes to me, well, when so many perfectly constructive threads get polluted by this *****, it gets tedious.

Take a leaf out of Steve's book; when he gets questioned over something sensitive, he responds in the form of a statement, answers the questions being asked, leaves it a while to let ALL his detractors respond and then if he feels the need makes another 'statement'
No to'ing and fro'ing, bitching or arguing.

Or try Ron Clay's approach when asked awkward question; ignore and move on to another thread.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Lol. I hope you manage to get your hands on some of the Creel Mags then, if you haven't already. Pure delight with many of the "names" of the day, mentioned by you and others prominent. BV, DW, Len Arberry, Peter Stone, Taylors, Peter Wheat to mention just a few.

An excellent post by the way.

Jerry. I had the whole set in binders. Sold them. BIG mistake.

Graham

Last edited:

magna barbus

Reaction score
Lol. I hope you manage to get your hands on some of the Creel Mags then, if you haven't already. Pure delight with many of the "names" of the day, mentioned by you and others prominent. BV, DW, Len Arberry, Peter Stone, Taylors, Peter Wheat to mention just a few.

An excellent post by the way.

Dont get me wrong Graham, I have read many copies of the Creel mag and enjoy the simplicity of those days and the gentle enthusiasm of the writings, the past is important, I am currently reading Confessions of a Carp Fisher for the millionth time, and I'm still amazed at BB's eloquent, but descriptive writing of that time.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I haven't bought any mags for years. Used to have the whole series of Creel in the 60's - now just got the number 1 issue.
Jerry

Jerry,

I still have the set, and derive great pleasure from reading through them from time to time.

It may be me but, there seemed to be a gentler feel to that era, a willingness to listen without rancour or vitriol, unlike today.

If I'm wrong, so be it, I'm content.

Simon K

Reaction score
My views are not based on nostalgia, though my personal history is and my development as an Angler is my reference point, its with me and always will be. My thoughts are much deeper than that, we are faced with angling being in decline, especially certain types of Angling, we have the Angling Times circulation plummeting to all time lows, so why is this, is it a cyclical event, and at some time in the distant future will we see its resurgence? I doubt it, part of Angling's gratification process is the sense of success in the midst of failure, commercial fisheries have taken this away.

I have always said (forgive me for repeating this) fishing was never meant to be easy, most sports and pastimes relish the challenge, even other factions of our past time make things difficult for them selves and relish the challenge, up stream dry fly, fishing for large Carp in low population waters, Terry Hearne is a great exponent of this and not only writes about his success, but also conveys his discomfort, the blanks and his disappointments in his writings, this creates empathy, understanding and inspiration with the reader, and more importantly, the way he over comes his failures, unfortunately the current handful of weekly writers seem to fill the papers with pictures and pap ( my opinion).

I accept that we need prominent anglers rather than the celebrity culture at the forefront to entertain us, to inspire us and to be inventive, but also, more importantly for them to maintain the moral high ground of Angling, to contain the positive messages (subliminally or overt) on the value of fishing, its benefits and its rewards, rather than the..... as long as you buy this, and use that message.

I think the whole celeb thing is a lot deeper and rather sinister, its psychological and manipulative, instead of being philosophical and thought provoking. But at the end of the day, these are just the thoughts and ramblings of an old Barbel fisherman......lol!

Lawrence, are you not confusing Terry's books (where he has maximum space to describe his exploits) with the more compact demands of the weeklies?

The paper media is bound to decline as anglers look to the internet as a more immediate and daily "up-to-date" medium for information. I have no doubt that the AT/AM et al will exist as subscription websites only in short order since it will cut production costs and be up-to-the-moment news.

On the plus side, the unlimited space may mean longer, more "in-depth" articles could make a comeback, providing there is the talent and will to make it happen.

Regardless, anglers still have to go fishing and catch fish to make it happen?

I like the challenge of low density, big waters and their ilk and getting away from the crowd, but I recognise that I'm very much in the minority.
The commercial waters are crowded because the majority of anglers want quick success, they may not have the time to spend session after session trying to work out where the fish are, they may not have the skills to do so anyway or the technical know-how to change their presentations to fool the fish they do find. Faced with these problems regularly, they'd probably give up fishing.

We should be thankful for the continued choice of being able to choose between the two types of venue. Just be glad that commercials exist to take some of the pressure off the rest.

They're also a pretty good place for kids to start since the greater chance of catching something (anything) is more likely to keep them interested enough to better themselves, expand their horizons and take up new challenges the more experienced they become.

dezza

Reaction score
oh yes, my name is Lawrence Breakspear

Welcome to FM Lawrence, and I mean that sincerely. Most times we don't have the hassels of this thread and we are a good bunch.

We have a common friend - good old Des. I was sorry when he stopped writing for AT. He was one of the reasons I bought the paper. I don't think I have bought a copy of AT since Des left.

The only papers I take these days is Angling Star, occasional Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and Coarse Angling Today.

strikerbw

Reaction score
Graham,

Yeah thanks for that and I'm sure there are plenty of decent guys. I think the barbel schools are a good idea. But the one good thing that came out of the society is the chance to meet the one bloke who I owe a lot of thanks to and still fish with today(but his name will remain nameless)! Whilst I felt dismayed about the BS the guys I have been lucky enough to join some cracking clubs , full of top blokes and my fishing has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years ! It is a shame that it has got to the point where i post on here for the first time and be accused of being a fake! And contrary to what Ron says, i don't think it matters if people use their real name or not........... i mean is Ron's real middle name "the hat"?

But like yourself i do think it is a shame and although i can understand people wanting to defend their club i find it confusing that they cannot see the damage it does to the BS. I got told when i signed up and the NEC show that membership was over 1000 when i joined so i do not understand why Fred is saying differently. I did not know any of the guys involved in the bickering when i joined but i just couldn't be bothered with it as if detracted away from the great conservation work done by the likes of Pete Reading and seemed to become more of a topic than the fishing. That is where i was lost. But like i have said, i suppose i should thank the Society in that if i had not joined i would not have met the aforementioned guy, who also has got me into some other clubs where i have learnt a lot and made some great friends along the way.

Take care pal and hope to see you down the Wye

Bw

p.s. i did not recieve any pm's but if i had i would have just laughed them off cause its pathetic!

Last edited:

magna barbus

Reaction score
Lawrence, are you not confusing Terry's books (where he has maximum space to describe his exploits) with the more compact demands of the weeklies?

Simon, no confusion here, in fact you have hit upon the very core essence of my comments, Terry Hearn is a modern accomplished angler and writer that conveys a similar message both in his books and his article's, in fact in a recent Barbel article in the Angling Times (2 or 3 weeks ago) he showed his skill as a developing writer and shared his experience with his day on the river through his writing, this is what is missing because of the influential celeb culture, there is little incentive for modern writers to stick to the facts of what they are trying to say without self promotion or product endorsement.

This on the face of it may be of little importance, but I am an advocate of the understanding of the analysis of cause and effect, and I believe that because of the current theme of celeb Anglers and the way it is portrayed in the press, our legacy will be the ultimate demise of Angling.

Let us not dwell on celebrity (only a word I know) because the word conjures up negative images in this day and age of the celebrity culture we are cursed with and are surrounded by, the evidence is there before us in our every day life how meaningless, worthless and superficial it all is and the negative effect it has had on the young and impressionable, and I believe we are witnessing this same decline in Angling because of it.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
And contrary to what Ron says, i don't think it matters if people use their real name or not........... i mean is Ron's real middle name "the hat"?

I certainly have no objection to those who wish to use their nickname, eg: The Monk, or Chevin, as long as their real name is available through their public profile.

As regards my middle "The Hat", name, this was given to me by Graham Marsden. It had nothing to do with myself. I have asked on numerous occasions for "The Hat" to be removed but the powers that be won't remove it.

And I can't understand why?

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Graham,

Yeah thanks for that and I'm sure there are plenty of decent guys. I think the barbel schools are a good idea. But the one good thing that came out of the society is the chance to meet the one bloke who I owe a lot of thanks to and still fish with today(but his name will remain nameless)! Whilst I felt dismayed about the BS the guys I have been lucky enough to join some cracking clubs , full of top blokes and my fishing has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years ! It is a shame that it has got to the point where i post on here for the first time and be accused of being a fake! And contrary to what Ron says, i don't think it matters if people use their real name or not........... i mean is Ron's real middle name "the hat"?

But like yourself i do think it is a shame and although i can understand people wanting to defend their club i find it confusing that they cannot see the damage it does to the BS. I got told when i signed up and the NEC show that membership was over 1000 when i joined so i do not understand why Fred is saying differently. I did not know any of the guys involved in the bickering when i joined but i just couldn't be bothered with it as if detracted away from the great conservation work done by the likes of Pete Reading and seemed to become more of a topic than the fishing. That is where i was lost. But like i have said, i suppose i should thank the Society in that if i had not joined i would not have met the aforementioned guy, who also has got me into some other clubs where i have learnt a lot and made some great friends along the way.

Take care pal and hope to see you down the Wye

Bw

p.s. i did not recieve any pm's but if i had i would have just laughed them off cause its pathetic!

Ben, I'm not saying anything different I said it had never been in the
thousands which I took to mean many thousands

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I certainly have no objection to those who wish to use their nickname, eg: The Monk, or Chevin, as long as their real name is available through their public profile.

As regards my middle "The Hat", name, this was given to me by Graham Marsden. It had nothing to do with myself. I have asked on numerous occasions for "The Hat" to be removed but the powers that be won't remove it.

And I can't understand why?

"The Hat" is rhyming slang

Reaction score
Ron

I think you should change your middle name to, the more contemporary, "The Baseball Cap"

Ron The Baseball Cap Clay.

That sounds much more modern and down with the kids and gain you more respect from the younger anglers.