Blenhiem Palace and tackle

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Oxford radio this morning were asking all campsite owners to be aware of a group of perverted revellers believed to be planning a rave on a Friday/Saturday in late September. They advise that any campsite owners watching for these rowdy trouble makers that seeing them can be difficult due to the camouflage clothing they wear but their distinctive fishy smell will give their presence away long before they can be seen. The local police have been informed and they have advised all house owners to move their valuables to a bank for this period. Housewives are also advised not to leave washing out during this period and to lock away their daughters, farmers too are warned to keep a very wary eye on their sheep.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I understood Spiders was bringing his own sheep.:confused:

And speaking of sheep apparently there is a breed called a Dartmoor Whiteface or as its more commonly known a Giddy. It is described thus

" The face is of medium length, strong in feature. The upper part of the face is dark complexioned, the lower part grey or mealy. Eyes are quick and bright, the hair on the face short and strong, a deep jaw and short broad teeth.The Ears of medium length and thick with occasional black spots on them. They were always horned but this feature has tended to disappear over the years. This breed grows greyer with age. The wool is white except at the back of the head where it is mixed with part black, with a thick deep bed and curly top of medium length, not coarse, and growing down the shanks. The wool has a good bind and fills the hand well. The tail is thick, long and woolly. Legs are good flat bone of medium length, well set four square, with well shaped hocks, grey or mottled in colour, with good sized feet. Walks well. " :wh

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

There are also Blue faced Leicesters and Scottish Halfbreds but I value my nadgers too highly !

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I understood Spiders was bringing his own sheep.:confused:

And speaking of sheep apparently there is a breed called a Dartmoor Whiteface or as its more commonly known a Giddy. It is described thus

" The face is of medium length, strong in feature. The upper part of the face is dark complexioned, the lower part grey or mealy. Eyes are quick and bright, the hair on the face short and strong, a deep jaw and short broad teeth.The Ears of medium length and thick with occasional black spots on them. They were always horned but this feature has tended to disappear over the years. This breed grows greyer with age. The wool is white except at the back of the head where it is mixed with part black, with a thick deep bed and curly top of medium length, not coarse, and growing down the shanks. The wool has a good bind and fills the hand well. The tail is thick, long and woolly. Legs are good flat bone of medium length, well set four square, with well shaped hocks, grey or mottled in colour, with good sized feet. Walks well. " :wh

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

There are also Blue faced Leicesters and Scottish Halfbreds but I value my nadgers too highly !

It fits Spiders and Slime to a T, Spiders and Slime, sounds like a strange drink.

One part was wrong, it should read at the end, with well shaped SOCKS, not hockx....................:wh:D

r1paul

Reaction score
No problem mate,we are in a b&b and will be there on the friday , so will run it to the camp site and put it up for you , I dare say that Slime will be around ( I will bring a few beers with me this time Dave ) .:w:w:w:w:D

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Peter, see if you can find last years write up and pics. That might give you an idea.

I think they are maybe 14-16 foot long, I could be wrong? You can fit a fishing chair into them easily.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
On a serious note though, can anyone tell me how long those boats are at Blenhiem?
They are, as Steve says, about 16 ft long.
You can fit a fishing chair into them easily.
That's a small "fishing chair" though Peter, not a chaise lounge. :D

There's a bench/divider in the middle of the boat so one chair goes forward and one aft (keeping the nautical terms in place).

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
So, according to the table that Sean posted the link for then I should be okay with something like this?

Daiwa 54lb Electric Outboard Motor with LCD Monitor New on eBay (end time 06-Aug-10 23:36:46 BST)

Well over the top perhaps, you'll either empty the lake or get a ticket/thrown off for speeding. :D:D:D

Travel light, with a bit of ground bait!!
Oh come on Fred, this is PETER we are talking about? He doesn't do "light" and he doesn't do a "bit". Those words are in his angling dictionary.

:D :D :D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Dont worry Peter, If someone drops out you can have their boat, one for your gear and one for you and fishing Partner.

Seems Skippy wants me to Pair up those going, I would if I knew who was going.

Skippy send me a list.

Do travel light chaps, you don't need a lot of gear, Peter and Spiders have enough to go round...:wh:D