Blenhiem Palace and tackle

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now I have been sorting the necessary gear for GM's bash, and I'm not sure it'll fit in the Range Rover to be honest.

But for boat fishing I do travel a lot lighter though . . . . . .

Reaction score
Peter if you've got a Range Rover full for Graham's bash there's only one peg that will accommodate you ...the area where they have a wide range of sheds, summer houses and dog runs...you shhould be able to get all your gear in those....just!!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Peter went on a fishing trip on a boat Once, took all the gear, the name of the ship is famous, they made a few films about it, Titanic.

Now you know it had nothing to do with an Iceberg....:wh

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
OK, keep it to a minimum but what stuff do you need? Clearly my pole should stay at home , I imagine a light float rod and shortish feeder/bomb rod should be ok ......... or maybe pike stuff? landing net ?
I have been to Blenheim once, not fishing either, school outing about 40 years ago.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Dont worry Peter, If someone drops out you can have their boat, one for your gear and one for you and fishing Partner.

Seems Skippy wants me to Pair up those going, I would if I knew who was going.

Skippy send me a list.

Do travel light chaps, you don't need a lot of gear, Peter and Spiders have enough to go round...:wh:D

If your feeling up to it again Ray I (he) The Slasher would love to accompany you again.

A full day and night with Spiders in his pop up is far to much for one to bare.:eek:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If your feeling up to it again Ray I (he) The Slasher would love to accompany you again.

A full day and night with Spiders in his pop up is far to much for one to bare.:eek:

I don't think my ears could handle another full day....:j

Uncle Dave, I have a small problem this year, as a few dropped out, so I had two boats to make up the numbers.
My 3 sons are coming along for the day, but not staying over night, the youngest jack is in a boat with me at the moment, but that may change.

As Skippy hasn't been paid by everyone yet, I may get another boat, as one of their friiends wants to go, so Jack will go in a boat with him, then we can share a boat.
I would Like another day in a boat with the Slasher.

Hope thats alright with you mate, knowing my sons, anything can happen between now and then.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Last edited:
Reaction score
As Elwin will be in the fleshpots of the far east again - I would be looking for a punt mate!! Any chance of you wishing to share the oars with me, Boners, if Clarkey is kidnapped by the family?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
WILL YOU LOT JUST CALM DOWN A BIT !!!!!:mad:

Now then...I have DELIBERATELY not started final sorty outs for Blenheim because I did not want to get in the way of Grahame's do PLUS you will all be so larruped after that that you will have forgotten & I'd have to do it all over again anyway.

Tell me I'm wrong ....I'm not am I ? :w

So...get yourselves sorted out for The Guvnor's bash and while you are drinking yourselves to oblivion and eating Wol's barbeque I will sort out the final list & arrangements, do the boat pairings for approval of HRH the Clarke of Blenheim & also offer a few tips on fishing the place....again once I've spoken to Ray.

Tip 1 : DONT take too much gear.Its a very steep slope to the boathouse
Tip 2 : Avoid Spiders at all costs.
Tip 3 : Take a small comfortable narrow seat.If you attempt to sit on the
thwart board all day you will lose the use of your legs or die ....
possibly both.:eek:

As it stands all boats are taken but there MAY be some doubt over 1 or possibly two.

Boat pairings I have to seek Ray's advice on as he knows most of you bunch of reprobates better than I do.:w

Skippy

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

The squad is now with Ray for selection.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

The punts at Blenheim are not particularly big so space is at a premium bearing in mind two people have to get all their gear in. I will take 2 rods [1 Tench float and 1 lead rod] and probably only use the float rod.I will take a picnic chair because it takes up less space. Leave your poles at home.

Baits; Take your pick....hemp,caster,maggot,corn,pellet but DEFINATELY worm. The tench will have a worm,the bream will have a worm and there are some big perch too who also love a worm. Groundbait is banned but nobody pays any attention. If you like bream put some in. I will fish 5lb bs mainline minimum...the tench do pull a bit.Hooksizes to suit bait.

There's an article on here somewhere that Wol posted. Bit old now [the article] but he bagged up on strawberry jelly pellets. Ray knows the areas to fish better than me.

Pray for a dry day...weatherwise I mean.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
........... and don't forget, you will need at least one bucket per punt! The ladies on the bank won't want to see your 'old feller' hanging over the side and it stops the punt from filling up during the course of the day :)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
........... and don't forget, you will need at least one bucket per punt! The ladies on the bank won't want to see your 'old feller' hanging over the side and it stops the punt from filling up during the course of the day :)

Or a sock.........................:wh

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Blimey, you would think we were going tomorrow...bloody wish we were.

Anyway, i will sit down over the next few days and see who is with who, in the meantime, if there is anyone you want, or don't want to be with,let me know via a PM. I won't let anyone see what you write, but i will write it and psot it mtself.........:j:D.

I know most of those who will fish together, as many have booked a boat together.

To give you some idea of what to take tackle wise, I will be taking,
1 15ft float rod and reel,
1 landing net, keepnets are banned.
1 unhooking mat
selection of hooks, floats wagglers and sliders, shot, and hook lentghs, thats it, nothing more.

Bait,
Hemp, casters , Red Maggot, worms and a few slices of bread, groundbait is a 50/50 mix of brown and Red.

Some take mini boilies, sweetcorn, pellets etc etc, it's up to you.

I have had fish from all areas of the lake, one thing I don't do is move.

The fish can move into your swim at anytime, once baited I sit it out. Moved once before and didn't catch, the pair who moved into my swim did late in the day.

If pike fishing, no livebaits to be taken to the lake, lures work well for the pike and the perch.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Hahahaha......

Who's the unlucky one sharing a boat with you Ed?

A Tom T*t in a carrier bag in a boat OMG!!!:eek::D:D:D

"Mum what's that man doing in the boat?"

"Dunno Son, but don't look! Bl**dy disgusting fishermen!"

With kids today it's more like.

"Mum whats that man doing in the boat?"

"He is doing a No 2 son"

"What having a sh*t in a boat"

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Probably right Ray.

Okay, a bucket, a bag and a brollie. Pull up tight in the trees, brollie up, jobs a good un!