Chub Behaviour

D

Dave Slater

Jason,
After reading about your results I think I will move North as I only have 'crap' chub rivers like the Avon and Stour near me.
Perhaps you should move South as we catch plenty of nuisance barbel down here.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Jason,
7 & 8lb, perhaps we should swap houses.
I live near the Great Ouse, so that should keep you happy when it comes to barbel.
Unfortunately I'll have to make do with fives & sixes, when I'm lucky !

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Dave,
Try to persevere with those crap rivers mate,don't get to disillusioned. ha ha

B

Barry Fleming

Gents,
I can't put into words how overwhelmed and happy I am with the response that you have all given.There are many more questions to be asked here,and I hope that you will continue to support them.Is there anything that can be done (fishing wise) when it gets to the stage where the possible bigger chub are just makeing tiny plucks at your bait, would it be an idea to change bait, size shape flavour,or just hang on and see what happens, or find a new bait that isn't being used much on the stretch I fish.Like John, I feel that if I can just get over this stumbling block when the chub are not taking the bait properly,then that would be the first hurdle sorted. The bait selections and tactics that you have all suggested all are going to be tried. Once again, thanks a million, and any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated by myself and some of the other lads who fish the same areas.
Cheers.
Barry.

J

John Pleasance

Barry,one thing worth a try when you are only getting plucks is to feed off at least a couple of yards of line after initially tightening to the lead.

I know it goes against the grain, cos you are now thinking that you wont even see the little plucks,but like everything else it works in the right situation,the bites you will get if it does work will be absolutely unmissable.

B

Barry Fleming

John,
Thanks for that very important reminder, How could I have forgotten that one?
Cheers.
Barry.

J

John hepworth

Dave, I feel really sorry for you only having the Stour, Avon and all those other POOR rivers to fish, A trip "UP NORTH" really would do you a world of good.
A few weeks ago I met an exiled Brummie up here who said the he thought the River Wear to be the best chub river in the country-he only had the Severn Teme and W'Avon to fish when he lived in the west midlands, and they only held small chub! He claimed to have had chub OVER 8.5 lbs. from the Wear below Durham and fish of 7lb from higher up the river at Bishop Auckland. One night in less than 2 hours he had over 50lb of chub from 5.5lbs. to over 8lbs. Think I must have been doing something wrong over the last 30 years as I have yet to catch my first 6 Wear chub, likewise several of my friends. I think you know my opinion of the Tees record 8-10 fish.

J

John hepworth

I should add, and anglers who claim exceptional catches from otherwise unexceptional rivers.

D

Dave Slater

Barry,
John's suggestion could well work, it has done for me at times in the past. Another suggestion would be to use two rods. I wouldn't normally do this when chub fishing but sometimes it works. Cast the second rod well below the baited area where you are getting your bites and see what happens. A variation on John's method would be to use a very long hooklink. This has sometimes paid off with some very big fish for me. I wouldn't do this all the time but it may be worth a go. This time of year is not the best for most of us. It may well be that you start catching as soon as we get to September/October. Often the bites get better then and this can be the best time of the season. As soon as we get to around October the feeder can come into it's own. We all have times when chub can be totally frustrating, usually at this time of year for me. Persevere Barry and I am sure you will succeed.

J

Jason Lennon

John - I know what you are getting at with your comments, and you have pissed me off by saying that.
I dont normally swear on my threads, so that shows you how angry you have made me.
For your information, I never ever lie about what I catch,If I've had a blank - I'll say so, and if I say I've caught it - I bloody well did catch it!
I've told you all how to catch big chub on the Tees - try it for yourself, and you will see that I do not lie.
For your information matey - the uk record chub came from the "unexceptional" river Tees at the free stretch where I fish.

How dare you make a comment like that.

J

Jason Lennon

I should add that I was addressing john hepworth in the last post, to avoid any confusion. If you look at my profile John, you will see that I only ever target specimens. Some people are happy to be dace bashing all day - I'm not.If it means I catch fewer fish that's fine by me, cos I know when I hook into a fish, 9 times out of 10 it's a decent size, because of the bait I use.
The only thing I will say about the bait is that the hookbaits I have told you about are only 60% of the secret to the larger specimens. I mix my own groundbait, and there's only me and my best mate who know what ingredients are in it.
Thats the only secret I will not divulge, for the obvious reasons

A

albert watkinson

barry,i have fished the dane after chub for the last 40yrs.i only get to fish once a fortnight if i am lucky.been 3 times so far and had 2 blanks.they drive you mad with their tactics dave and john have given you something to work on .last 2 seasons i have had some very good chub for the dane well over 4lb weight and the best at 5lb 1oz.there is not much you can do if they are in the mood.the biggest chub picked the bait up 7 or 8 times before he went with it.i wish jason lennon would sell me his recipe.why bother with the barbel when its par for the course hooking chub like that?.if i can help in any way barry feel free to mail me.if you see an old man sat on his hands in his chair it will be me.best of luck

J

John hepworth

Jason,The post was not directed towards your good self, but to be realistic the Tees does not have a histiory of big chub. The Tees record fish, anyone who has seen the video of that sish all say to a man that it aint as claimed. If you wish to see it I'll post it to you.Once again, I was not reffering to you or any one else in particular, except for the guy with the 8.5 Wear fish.

J

Jason Lennon

sorry about the ranting & raving guys. I've had time to calm down now, and I'm my old cheery self again.

Albert, I like a hard fighting fish, that's why I prefer to catch barbel.
If I wanted to divulge my recipe, I would give you it, not sell it. But then it wouldn't be secret anymore!
I will give you a hint as to what it contains though. natural food which can fall into the river from bankside vegetation, trees etc. That means my recipe changes with the seasons.

J

Jason Lennon

I would like to see that video john. I've never ever seen it.

S

Stuart Harvey

Jason

Whats the biggest chub you've had from the Tees? You must be close to the record.

J

Jason Lennon

about 8lb, however, I should point out that my scales only show an approximation of how heavy the fish is, as they are the keyring style scales with a spring. not deadly accurate, but still better than guessing at the weight. Could never claim a record using those scales though.
If only I had the money for all the good gear........... I would give Matt Hayes a run 4 his money!

J

John hepworth

Re big chub: Just as a comparison, my biggest but not heaviest chub came from the Swale at 23.5 inches in length, it weighed a mighty 4lb-08oz . My heaviest chub to date came from the Gt Ouse at 6lb-01oz, I think Sreve Redman weighed it for me, to gether with Ken Glover and Andy Dalby. If you remember Dave it, was the same day that Paul Fickling had his 7 from the swim that Tony Miles thought he should have fished. Going back to the 6-01 fish , I almost returned it un-weighed asyou know southern chub are so much smaller lb for lb than those from the northern spate rivers.

J

John hepworth

Money for good gear. My best catch ever(47 chub from the Swale) was taken on a rod that cost me ?10-00 to build, two large uncut loafes of bread using an old Shakespear International match reel. Not a single pellet, hair rigg ,boilie or baitrunner reel in sight, just old fashioned freelined crust or flake.