Chub Behaviour

A

albert watkinson

john,we tend to forget the simple bait and cant think of a more deadly set up than bread when condions are right.as for the paste that barry mentioned i have just had 2 blanks on it and dont rate it.why we fall for it i dont know.carp man gave me a paste which is cheap to make and as had some double figure fish.i was only joking about the recipe jason.i have plenty at my disposal.

J

Jason Lennon

Well I catch a lot of big fish on my converted Kingfisher rod. I hate the rod though, not enough eyes near the end. I suppose I could put extra eyes on it, but that would probably place too much strain on what is already an inferior rod. The only work I have done to it is to swap the end eye for one with a thread in for a quivertip.

I wish that my local Tackle shop had the bits in to make up a rod John. I would then be able to make up a good quality rod, and it would be cheaper. But because fewer people make their own gear nowadays, you can hardly ever find the gear you need.

The problem I have is that I just do not have the money at this present time to buy a beta light, nevermind a half decent set of accurate scales.
It's everything I can do to rustle up the cash for bait/bait ingredients at the minute!

J

Jason Lennon

I always take a loaf of brusty tread with me. When everything else fails, trusty bread always gets the fish!(it does on the tees anyhow).

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Jason,
I always take a mans word on what he catches but I have met some real bulls*****s in my time as well.
I have fished the Stour, Kennet, and Great Ouse a lot over the last 15 years and have caught, and catch my share of good fish, but I am always a bit sceptical when people say they've caught 7 & 8lb chub.
As you say that you don't lie about you're catches I will believe you, so bloody well done !!

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
By the way Jason I have caught plenty of 5s and a few 6s from the rivers I've mentioned so its a 7 next for me, I hope.
Actually I'm going to try to get a 5+ from the river Nene this year, thats my target as I've only just started fishing it.
Anyway keep us posted on those nuisance 6 7 & 8lb chub you catch mate

B

Barry Fleming

I fished the Ribble yesterday trying some of the advice I had been given on here. Definitely it is the stick float during daylight hours with maggot or caster for the chub. And keep it moving to avoid the eels.
I had no chub as I did not have my float fishing gear. At 9.55 p.m. I caught the first Barbel, The bite was a series? of six quick jabs, and could have sworn it was an eel. I had caught three Barbel off this same peg over the last four weeks, and every one of them came at exactly the same time. Is this usual Barbel behaviour? Also I had given it a couple of yards of slack line, so thank?s John for that advice.

J

john conway

I?ve yet to float fish on the Ribble, I?ve always been happy enough to sit and wait for the big ones at dusk. However, I?ve come to realise I may be missing out on a few fish especially with this hot bright weather we?ve been having. Also quite a lot of the day ticket waters don?t allow night fishing, which only gives you one hour after dusk. So like you said Barry next time I?ll take some floats with me. Do you fish the stick or waggler on the Ribble Barry? I don?t have any waders so whatever method I use it will have to be from the bank.

B

Barry Fleming

John,
First of all, very well done mate on your 6lb plus chub, you have certainly put the time and effort in , and if any one deserves it ,then you do.
The only float I have used on the river is a crow quil avon which I make myself. It certainly works,but have not tried it on the Ribble yet,only the Dane and that's much smaller. I realy don't fancy carrying waders all the way down to the Ribble, but through watching other anglers over the last few weeks, I have come to realise that this is my best chance dureing daylight hours. The circus has now moved to the opposite end, so I had a large stretch all to myself.
Cheers.
Barry.

J

John Pleasance

Yes Barry it's quite common for barbel to begin to feed at roughly the same time of day,certainly for a period of a few days at a time anyway.

I would think the six quick jabs of a bite you had were probably the lead shifting as the fish moved off with the bait.It's a tactic I use for chub but I've not tried it when fishing for barbel.

J

John Hepworth

Not really chub behaviour, but more like chub angler behaviour.
I am shortly to be putting out a web site for my club, DCAC. The address is www.durhamanglers.co.uk As it will have message and BB's I was wondering if there would be any interest from CSG members using this site if I was to set up a locked forum just for CSG members ( I do know that some members don't care for them though)
I could have e-mailed this to each member but as yet I don't have every ones address, and not really sure about bulk mail anyway.
The "chub" forum on the CAT web site is not well used and in any case the editor is thinking of doing away with the forum side of the site.
Let me know what you think

D

Dave Slater

Hi John,
Definately interested in your "chub" forum. I am sure Bob Mills will be as well.

D

Duncan Kellett

Hi John,

Back from hols darn sarth, yep I'm interested as well.

Dave - sorry we did'nt meet up but I'm back down in October so I'll hopefully catch you then.

TTFN
Duncan

B

Barry Fleming

John,
I would also be interested in the chub chat.
Thank's.
Barry.

B

Barry Fleming

I've just read G. Marsdens short topic on the front page and hold this man in the highest esteem. I think it has to be said that it's every man to his own.
Personally I like to stay with the traditional methods for chub, one rod, and try to keep away from the more designer type baits. I have used pellet and this week I even used boilie, after talking myself into it. But this is on a river which is difficult dureing the daylight hours on anything else. (No excuse really)That's why I'm just feeling my way about and waiting for the Autumn and Winter.Myself and a few other anglers have seen what is happening on parts of the Ribble, and it aint a pretty sight.I don't know wether it is because I am a bailiff for this club, but I can see things going the way that things go on other waters, which can soon become totally ruined, and unfortunately my personal thaughts are that it is only a matter of time.
Cheers.
Barry.

J

John Hepworth

Will let all you know when its up and running.
Dave my eyes are not what they used to be, what the h--- is that you have in place of your most recent portrait.

D

Dave Slater

Eugene Terreblanche John. I posted it for Ron in case he was missing S.A. I must admit I have stuck to more traditional methods on the river up to now like Barry. I haven't used pelllets yet, although "Uncle Bill" was using them last Sunday. We both blanked so I can't say what worked best. The way I read Graham's piece was that he didn't think we should all become stereotyped and use pellets and boilees as THE standard method. I agree Graham. I think they mainly belong in carp and tench fishing. As you rightly said watercraft is the most important thing. I would hate to see it replaced by designer baits, although I think these are another weapon in the armoury and I intend to try them myself fairly soon.

J

Jason Lennon

never used carp baits for chub in my life! the most complicated bait I'v used for chub is cheese & bread paste.
I've even had days where I've not had any bait, but I took my rod down the river and caught chub by ledgering berries from the trees.
No need to complicate things with boilies & pellets I say. they're too expensive anyhow.

J

John Hepworth

Dave, We could call it "Chub Fishing World" although I dont think that many anglers are content with catching only 6-7 and 8lb fish, I should be so lucky.

Duncan, Keep it to yourself, but I have heard from a DCAC club member who is also a member of The Graylig Society, that the Wear produced a couple of 3lb grayling last winter. Not that I'm trying to recruit members you understand.

J

john conway

I also read Grahams little piece and if we all went to hair rigged pellets as a standard bait is this not the same as when the maggot was king. As a lad it was 90% maggot some times worm and very occasionally bread, wasn’t very confident as a lad using bread.
This is only my second year targeting chub and I can’t see me just operating with only one bait or method. I’m sure in the winter and autumn I’ll use mainly one quiver tip rod rigged running leger or fixed paternoster, depending on the river bed, with bread flake over liquidised bread or caster over hemp and caster and a suicide rod (Dave’s description not mine, but it’s an accurate one and I like it) on pellet and paste. I’m not absolutely sure about my summer tactics yet but I’m not inclined to stick to one method, I’ve yet to sort out float techniques or a way of presenting a moving bait without being restricted to only those classic trotting swims. I’m also too inquisitive, can’t stop thinking about something to give me an edge over the “circus” most ideas never work but I never stop trying and the edge, if I ever find one, will never remain an edge over time.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Perhaps I should make it clear that I have no objection whatsoever to boilies, pellets, bolt-rigs and hair-rigs. My point in the editorial is that the combination of these baits and methods have set the standard that most anglers follow.

There is no doubt that on many (most?) waters this combination, or 'standard method and bait' if you like, is the banker approach, hence its increasing widespread use for most species except predators.

That's progress, and long may it continue. But I make the comment that this progress; this never-ending search for the perfect method and bait, especially in this computer and internet age where information is so freely available, is replacing the hunting instinct, watercraft and flair, with a standard method and bait that will bring success almost as much to the inept as it does to the adept.

There is no doubt that the more science and technology creep into fishing, or any type of hunting, which is normally basic and instinctive, the more that basic instinct will become redundant.