For a few yards more.....

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Practising me casting, I've found the best method for a few more yards has been to use a pair of chesties and get in there.

I've been watching you all, but the wifes not well so time at a premium, been dying to join in the touch ledger debate as I've never realy done any, that'l change when I get back on the river.

F

Frothey

or sometimes....

Balance yourself
Aim
Inhale
Take a look around (make sure no one looking)
Bring yourself together
Only launch when your happy
And go.....
crack!!
Then re-tackle and try again !

W

Wolfman Woody

Ahh! But does it goes the full 150 yards?

Other thoughts - ever considered getting your kit off, doing some skinny-dipping and swimming the tackle out there?

OR - I could catch one of our red kites for you and you could teach him to fly your end rig right over the spot and drop it. He'd be alright so long as no-one had left any sausages on the other banks.

F

Frothey

the crack off's i've seen normally go 200!

you want to go swimming in the middle of winter, thats fine with me....

one thing to bear in mind is you hear so many people say "yeah, its about 150yds, when they are casting to a well known, not there anymore margin that was about 20yards shorter than that! distance is so difficult to judge over water.....
a lake i used to fish had a bar with an island on that you would swear was only 100yds or so, we measured it on a working party at 125. which made me feel better as i could put a bait a bit behind it!

B

Big Rik

you're right, distance over open water is very hard to judge, if there are features, islands etc then the estimation is easier.
Go on a boat out the other side of the Needles and try to judge 5, 10 or 20 miles back to shore, now that is difficult.

Frothey, what shockleader are you using?
Some are quite stretchy and you may be losing some inertia on the stretch, so that may be worth investigating.
You really need to speak to a casting instructor, explain any injuries and limitations on bank space and they should be able to increase your distance.

Failing that, come on a winter trip with me, Stu and Wol, we've managed to increase peoples distance and accuracy immeasurably.
Most rods will do it, most reels will do it, most rigs will do it, it's the technique which just needs fine tuning to gain those few extra yards.
Lead size needs to be adjusted according to rod capability AND arm speed, a good observer can point out any little improvements and then it's just a case of practicing.

F

Frothey

tried both the esp tapered ones and quiksilver - havent noticed that much of a difference in distance between them.

might have to take you up on the trip......

its funny what you said about the needles....when i used to do a bit of boat fishing in the channel, we'd go across nearer france, as the fishing is better there. strangely, we'd pass the french going the other way roughly mid-channel!

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

My offer to help you with your problems still stands, just get yourself into gear, get down here and we'll solve your problems, forget the sceptics, they can't help, only snipe and criticise without REALLY knowing what they are talking about. Want to learn? Down here is where it happens. For the next week from tomorrow we're busy with National Fishing Week...hope you are helping as well.
Phil & Jo.

F

Frothey

ignore them phil, they're a bit wary of "strangers"....just think dartmoor pub. as rik said, i really need to see an instructor, so i'm trying to juggle things as we speak, erm, post.

i hadnt even thought about it, but was a little suprised that there isnt a single event in north devon......

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"Failing that, come on a winter trip with me, Stu and Wol"

What, two eighties wannabe's on the same pit?

Come on Froth or.....'Ya too shy shy'?

C

Cakey

like your reply Frothey but that dont spell baitboat down the left hand side....

F

Frothey

yeahbutnobutyeahbutnoyeahbut i knew that, it was obvious

like it!

hush hush wol.....