For a few yards more.....

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

I made a couple of surfcasting videos about 12 years ago...clean river still do them I believe. I'd love to do another on DVD as the yanks are getting more interested in my methods, and we're off to Florida for the second time in Nov to demo at the Expo there. The best vid on casting techniques used by surfcasters is "Long - range carping" with Clive Gibbibs, Tim Paisley and me! I am NOT an avid carpie, but that doesn't mean I can't teach you lot a thing or two, but do beware...many carp sticks cannot take the compression that my methods generate. I use an obsolete Century Continental Express built using the Ohmura Cone ringing system, something you carpies should investigate, also the newer Low Rider rings from Fuji, the yanks are using them on light surf rods and getting some pretty impressive results using superbraid. The general idea is to reduce the ring and fitting weight, and a set of 50/40/30/25/20 BSVLG fujis weighs a lot on a relatively flimsy rod. Weigh them and see. My century butt ring is 30mm BHVLG with the rest to suit, and outcasts a friends same blank by approx 30 yards. Something to think about.

Philtherod.

F

Frothey

now you're just being silly phil....using things for the performance rather than looks.....!! ;)

a lot of the japanese casting reels are gettingthinner spools but longer, arent they? keeps the coil size down and less chance of line slap?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Phil most carpers use large eyed rings as it aids bite detection on there alarms

Frothy would never beeen seen dead next to something that did'nt look cool. Look at his pics no smiles and he is holding some impressive looking fish;-)

B

Budgie Burgess

"Phil most carpers use large eyed rings as it aids bite detection on there alarms"

Do what? I would love to hear the explanation for this one Bryan.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Sorry if i got this wrong. I was told this when i started fishing again a couple of seasons back. The large eye lets the line pull down with the hanger when the the eye is up against the alarm. Smaller eyes keep the line tight to the rod and don't always catch the roller.

F

Frothey

they sounded like they believed it...
i used to have a pair of hardy 11ft 2lb test rods with 25(?)mm butt rings, never seemed to affect them (even with optonics!)

C

Cakey

the eyes would have to be really small
Ive just measured a fox alarm rod to roller at 10mm
This means that all 6 rings on my carp rods would work (including tip ring)

all my rings have a 10mm stand off except for the tip which has a 6mm stand off

you would have to measure your own rods to be sure

B

Big Rik

"when the eye is up against the alarm"

cor, haven't done that for a while.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up lads. I dont do a lot of carping so i took a lot of info on board as usual half the people giving out info have no idea. Thank god i found this site. Not had any bad info yet from hear.

F

Frothey

hair grips in front of optonics to stop false bleeps...

cor, haven't done that for a while.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

no Froth, there keeping 'Froth of a hair-do' in place thats why...

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

Ask us niceley and Jo and I will come along to one of your "How to Carp" and other methods of complaining (Joke!!) shows and show how surfcasters cast properly. Did any of you lot come to the Go Fishing show in the last two years, if so you would have had the opportunity to be coached in the methods, as we were there for the three days both years on Pendigo lake giving casting instruction free, courtesy of the show and the PAA.

P

Phil & Jo Hyde

The Date has been put forward to a warmer period in the close season so more anglers can attend. Last years was somewhat siberian.
If the P.A.A. and the show would like us to repeat the casting coaching sessions then the answr is yes, but it is not down to me. I understand various societies have shows etc, usually near some large lake. Thats all we need.

J

jason fisher

i was there last year on the sunday but didn't get out onto the lake due to having to wind martin bowler up.

F

Frothey

just to ease your mind jason, phil hasnt got a clue about casting. i didnt see him put a cast over 230yds.....into a headwind....

cheers for the help phil. it helped! and not a sledgehammer in sight.

anyone able to see him for a bit of tuition at next years nec is well advised to.