How did you get on?

robertroach

Reaction score
I really enjoy winter fishing. I think I have caught all my biggest roach in the winter, although not the biggest bags of fish. Chub and grayling are also good in the winter.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny's a self confessed '' Daisy boy'' then, a fine weather fisherman.

Ha ha totally , when I first started fishing about five years ago I was fanatical and spent all winter fishing the canal , including a ( in total ) 27 hour blank accumalated over a few days that culminated in a monstrous perch that was as long as the width of my landing net.

Now the canal draws too much hassle and I have finally come out as a daisy boy ;)

bracket

Reaction score
I had four hours on the Frome yesterday, caught two brown trout, one dace, one salmon parr and twenty four grayling. Biggest grayling only 1lb 6oz. Nothing to go in the record book, but the weather and the river were right, the stick float went through a treat and I went home a happy man. Pete.

lambert1

Reaction score
Back to the gravel pit for some more roach yesterday, much calmer than last week but the fishing was slower. Still not managed a '2' yet this season but getting very very close...............

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

roach114nov14_zps2ae05711.jpg

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Lovely Roach Jerry!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, a really beautiful fish Jerry. Pretty much in perfect nick.....I assume you put all the other lb'ers back rather than spoil this photo ?

Did you actually weigh it ??

mick b

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, a really beautiful fish Jerry. Pretty much in perfect nick.....I assume you put all the other lb'ers back rather than spoil this photo ?

Did you actually weigh it ??

Glad it was you that posted that Tony......:eek:mg:

Weigh it...WEIGH IT........its close to a 2 don't yah know.......;)

:rolleyes:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
................I suppose it would be too much to ask to land a 2lb'er and the Gunners win in the same week !

One cannot have everything in life....

ps I've posted this now as my team have just equalised against Hull so we might just scramble a draw, otherwise I would have definitely kept quiet about yesterdays results!!

Any 'pool fans on FM .....?

nicepix

Reaction score
Had a touch of speed fishing today. Had to get Little Wife to St. Junien golf club for a choral concert at 12:15pm and pick her up at 3:15pm. It is 6 minutes from the golf cub to the river and I'd picked a swim I could drive to and my rod was already made up with just the feeder and bait to add. I reckon I got about 2 hours 43 minutes fishing time.

Started using two maize grains stacked on a hair then swapped to two chick peas that had been flavoured with a touch of garlic salt. After about an hour and half I put the maize grains back on and wrapped them in a paste made from maize flour & crushed hemp seeds. Got one bite; a barbel around 4lb. quite disappointing as the weather was perfect; 20C, light southerly wind and plenty of cloud cover. Had hoped for a larger barbel or one of the river carp.

Busy tomorrow. I've just packed the car with around 100 mole traps for an agricultural job, but hoping to get a full day out on Tuesday.

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
No match this weekend, unusual for me, and fished both days, even more so.
Had an old mate from up North staying for the weekend and,as his wife, her sisters and her mum were on a shopping weekend taking in Bicester Village or whatever its called, my instructions were to take him somewhere with enough fish to keep his mind off what was happening to the credit card.
Instructions followed to the letter, yesterday at any rate. Went to Thames at Laleham which was a nice colour if a bit pacy. After a slow first hour mate started picking up quality roach up to the pound and averaging 6 to 8 oz on the stick, ending up with well over 20 lb. I was about 50 yards downstream of him and all I could get on the float was the occasional little dace and roach and lost a big perch;- the fish were all still out in the main flow which was a lot further out and out of stick range where I was, and very little on the crease or in the slower water (stupidly had no toppers with me). Anyway, switched to groundbait feeder a third over with worm and maggot at around 1pm and ended up with a dozen big skimmers for round about the 20 lb mark.
Went down the Colne today ; absolutely tipped it down. Mate had a chub around 4 lb and about the same of bits, I had a bite virtually every run through for 3 hours in only 18 inches of water before things slowed right down ending up with about 12lb of roach and dace, about 140-150 fish so no real quality apart from a couple of herring dace. Packed in soaked at around 2
A few nice pints were had over the weekend as well

The Runner

Reaction score
Laleham eh ? Well there's a thing but what do I know ?

Eh ?

Anyway, not quite as smoothly run a weekend any more... Mate went back to Doncaster this morning. Just had a text from him as he was unloading the van. Which still contained my trolley....

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had just over a quarter of a pint of last week's two pints left. There's always a risk that wouldn't be enough, so off to the tackle shop I went for this week's two pints. Seventeen grayling and four trout later and I still had some of last weeks bait left and hadn't touched the new stuff. I still managed to feed them off in two swims.

Anyone getting bored of my thrice weeky reports that are pretty much interchangeable?;):D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely not !!

It's about the of catching fish with a smattering of prose thrown in and IMHO I think you manage that very well....
In a way it's akin to telling a story, where, if it's told by the right person, it enables one to imagine the scenario, and you standing in the water fishing.
I don't know about anyone else, but when I read your posts and I have an immediate picture in my mind of the water and surroundings.......

I'll let you know when I become bored !!

My morning's fishing began with a good scrape of the windscreen - and that was at 9am!! Unfortunately leaving soon after did not mean I avoided the early morning traffic, but I managed to reach the water in good time and was fishing at 10am. After all my early morning starts it felt like I was on holiday !!
The roach didn't oblige to begin with but by 11am I'd had a few fish of reasonable size on tares and hemp. A quiet spell followed until I decided to cast on the opposite side of the swim, when bites and fish came in a mad rush for an hour, until the fish decides to play silly bu&&ers and commenced the annoying habit of snatching at the bait. Time after time the float sank at various speeds suggesting a 'perfect' bite, but the strike was met with fresh air.....
At around 2pm they started to feed properly again and several fish followed to identical indication on the float - no change in set-up, just cussed fish I suppose!!
Come 3pm the sun finally disappeared behind the trees and the temperature plummeted so I decided to call time on a day which I had enjoyed immensely.

Family matters / visits means I will not fish again until next week, but todays session will last me until then............

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
I had just over a quarter of a pint of last week's two pints left. There's always a risk that wouldn't be enough, so off to the tackle shop I went for this week's two pints. Seventeen grayling and four trout later and I still had some of last weeks bait left and hadn't touched the new stuff. I still managed to feed them off in two swims.

Anyone getting bored of my thrice weeky reports that are pretty much interchangeable?;):D

Not at all Sam, this is the thread I always look for first. Hearing how everyone else is getting on all over the country is very illuminating. Personally I hope this thread just keeps on going!:)

rubio

Reaction score
Not at all Sam, this is the thread I always look for first. Hearing how everyone else is getting on all over the country is very illuminating. Personally I hope this thread just keeps on going!

I go along with that.

bracket

Reaction score
I had the pleasant experience of meeting two fellow Forum members at Wareham this morning, Peter Crabtree, aka Simon and his friend, who's name, me being me, has escaped me. Still, very nice to meet them both and exchange details and points of view, always good to meet people face to face. Unfortunately I was unable to stop for long, having to take my Lady Christmas shopping. So I left them in the cold, wind and rain on the banks of the Frome, to fish an uninviting looking river. I am not sure which of us suffered the most. Glad we met. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fished a different stretch of river to the last couple of trips. If my partially thawed pinkies are anything to go by, the water temperature has taken a real dive in the last day or two. A couple of chilly days and freezing nights with no rain has seen to that.

Compared to recent outings, things started very slowly. If there are fish in the swim, and I usually fish places where I expect fish to be, I normally expect a bite in the first trot or two. That may have been down to there being less water than of late, or, as I suspect, it'll have been a water temperature thing.

I did start finding fish after patient feeding and a bit of chopping and changeing of the depth. For a couple of hours the bites were just regular enough to keep me from moving on. variations in feed rates didn't seem to make a jot of difference. After seven grayling and one trout it became too much like hard work, so off I went downstream.

I consider the peg I started on to be a grayling peg. The second peg I've found good grayling amongst hordes of little trout. As soon as I arrived I could see the little trout topping in the flow from an outlet pipe. As expected, I had to wade through eleven trout to get three more grayling. I called it quits because I was struggling to see my float through the gathering mist and murk. Dusk was still a fair time away but the gloomy weather rendered that irrelevant.

Ten grayling and twelve trout wasn't a bead return considering how slowly I started. However, what really was pleasing was that only two of the ten grayling were significantly less than a pound.

410450640.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
Did you knock it out with the forceps to get it to lie still Sam - or was that take 56............;)