How did you get on?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Did you knock it out with the forceps to get it to lie still Sam - or was that take 56............;)

Just the one take, but it took half an hour to get it*.;):D
I've found that grayling are much less bouncy on the matt after being taken out of a rubber landing net. They really seem to hate rubber landing nets.:D

*For those that might choose to take me to task, this may just be a bit of an exaggeration. The fish was returned to the water and swam away strongly after the usual rest period that many bigger grayling seem to require. If a grayling dies somewhere on the Swale in the next month or so, hopefully I won't get the blame.:wh

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I had the pleasant experience of meeting two fellow Forum members at Wareham this morning, Peter Crabtree, aka Simon and his friend, who's name, me being me, has escaped me. Still, very nice to meet them both and exchange details and points of view, always good to meet people face to face. Unfortunately I was unable to stop for long, having to take my Lady Christmas shopping. So I left them in the cold, wind and rain on the banks of the Frome, to fish an uninviting looking river. I am not sure which of us suffered the most. Glad we met. Pete.

I think Paul ( son of Meldrew ) and I suffered the most with the NE wind gusting upstream and the rain persisting down. Not that Christmas shopping appeals to me either Pete...
We fished last night in the dark and it was freezing... I caught a nice sea trout on maggot feeder. Alas that is the only fish I've seen. Today we fished the outgoing tide, both on heavy stickfloats not a touch. After 3 hours we gave in biteless. Interestingly there were a few locals dropping in for short sessions and another from N.London ... I don't think anyone caught anything today.
Spent most of the afternoon in the caravan listening to and cursing the heavy rain....

robertroach

Reaction score
I think I might have seen you on Wareham Quay yesterday without knowing who you are. Uncomfortable day. Didn't stay long but managed a grayling a sea trout and a salmon parr. The grayling was v. unusual, they don't normally venture as far down the river. I live not far away so easy to go for a couple of hours.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
Had a quick session last night .After a suggestion to try a floating plug for perch on the lake , i picked up a floating lure with a small propeller on the front , was flicking it around weed beds as the light was going nothing much happened apart from a huge boil right under the lure but i panicked and struck early and missed it....didn't get any other knocks but at least i know the technique attracts fish. Also didn't spend half my time pulling weed of lures which is a major bonus...
Will have another go on the weekend hopefully across a few more areas when i have some more time...

mike47

Reaction score
Fished on a misty, still morning today and had a screaming take on my feeder. As soon as I felt it I knew it was something a bit special (for me that is). Eventually managed to bank a beautiful, muscular common weighing in at 9lbs. So excited, and have raised my p.b. by 4.5lbs at a stroke. Still full of adrenalin and I am back home. Cheers all!!

nicepix

Reaction score
Had a quick session last night .After a suggestion to try a floating plug for perch on the lake , i picked up a floating lure with a small propeller on the front , was flicking it around weed beds as the light was going nothing much happened apart from a huge boil right under the lure but i panicked and struck early and missed it....didn't get any other knocks but at least i know the technique attracts fish. Also didn't spend half my time pulling weed of lures which is a major bonus...
Will have another go on the weekend hopefully across a few more areas when i have some more time...

For perch and similar species such as bass you really need to slow everything down and let the fish sneak up on the lure. Perch don't tend to follow lures like trout for example. They sneak in to within striking distance and then rush at the prey. I had some success fishing poppers for perch in a small fenced off arm of a trout lake. I would cast and wait for around 30 seconds then twitch the lure and take up the slack line. Repeating every 20 - 40 seconds allows the perch to ambush the lure from underneath.

bracket

Reaction score
I had a walk up the river Wednesday morning. It was a foot up but dropping and not too coloured, so drawing on my vast experience of river fishing garnered over 64 years, I told myself that come while Thusday it would be sock on. I duly arrived at the river around 0730 on a still, mild misty morning, a quick look at the river told me that my gut instinct had been correct. So feeling very smug I unloaded the gear and trogged off to a favourite peg . On with the stickfloat and a 20 hook, plumbed it and found it was spot on the normal level so added three inch and off we went. Second run down took a net grayling followed by two hand sized fish and a nice brown trout . The next hour was steady, they weren't climbing up the rod but I was getting a few. It was then that all this vast experience of mine disappeared, I forgot where I was, thought I was back on the Trent and started feeding a slack handful every cast. The inevitable result was that, where I had been taking fish 7 yards down it now became 15 yards and then 30yards. The unforgivable fact is that it took me half an hour to realise that I had been feeding too heavy and the fish were dropping back chasing the extra feed. A quick check to make sure no one had spotted my fundamental error, unlikely as I was the only one on the bank, then it was back to a thumb and two fingers worth of feed each cast and the fish came back up. You think you know it all, but you don't. I finish up with 18 grayling to 1lb 8oz and two brown trout biggest 2lb 4oz, then it was down the Sports Club for a couple of beers, a light lunch and a few games of pool, with the the UEFA Cup matches on ITV 4 tonight you just don't get a minute to yourself, your life not your own. Pete

Last edited:

djd

Reaction score
I had a walk up the river Wednesday morning. It was a foot up but dropping and not too coloured, so drawing on my vast experience of river fishing garnered over 64 years, I told myself that come while Thusday it would be sock on. I duly arrived at the river around 0730 on a still, mild misty morning, a quick look at the river told me that my gut instinct had been correct. So feeling very smug I unloaded the gear and trogged off to a favourite peg. On with the stickfloat and a 20 hook, plumbed it and found it was spot on the normal level so added three inch and off we went. Second run down took a net grayling followed by two hand sized fish and a nice brown trout. The next hour was steady, they weren't climbing up the rod but I was getting a few. It was then that all this vast experience of mine disappeared, I forgot where I was, thought I was back on the Trent and started feeding a slack handful every cast. The inevitable result was that, where I had been taking fish 7 yards down it now became 15 yards and then 30yards. The unforgivable fact is that it took me half an hour to realise that I had been feeding too heavy and the fish were dropping back chasing the extra feed. A quick check to make sure no one had spotted my fundamental error, unlikely as I was the only one on the bank, then it was back to a thumb and two fingers worth of feed each cast and the fish came back up. You think you know it all, but you don't. I finish up with 18 grayling to 1lb 8oz and two brown trout biggest 2lb 4oz, then it was down the Sports Club for a couple of beers, a light lunch and a few games of pool, with the the UEFA Cup matches on ITV 4 tonight you just don't get a minute to yourself, your life not your own. Pete

Sounds like the life of Riley Pete. :)

Just need Spurs to win now. :thumbs:

bracket

Reaction score
djd. Yes I will drink to that, well I will have a drink anyway as I have a 6 pack I keep falling over. Pete.

sumtime

Reaction score
Managed an hour and a half on the canal today, made a dropshot rig up, dug a few worms in the garden and took some spinners etc. Dropped a worm in a few inches from a barge and within ten seconds I was into a half pound perch, must be the quickest I've ever started. :)

Then nothing throughout, I tried spinners and a float I'd made in the summer, float worked the way I wanted it to but not a sniff, just hoping I can get another chance before the canal freeze up.

rubio

Reaction score
Been out for a couple of short evening sessions this week legering cheese paste and sausage in unpromising river conditions. Didn't get a sniff. Does this qualify me as a specimen hunter?

dead peg

Reaction score
Had a few hours this morning at first light on the canal .Had one Roach & a Skimmer early on , both on bread punch feeding small nuggets of crumb .
Then nothing .. so I tried red maggot/pinkie but no joy
Then the cold easterly wind picked up a bit , making feeding & presentation difficult .... so bravely I packed up and called it a day

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just home from 4 days fishing the tidal river Frome in Dorset.
Got wind and rained off Tuesday, Wednesday the river was reddish brown coloured with lots of floating debris. Blanked. Thursday back to normal and the first day with no wind or rain. Did best on the feeder but only sea trout and browns. Highlight yesterday was a young angler fishing just up from me who landed a 2lb:10oz roach.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Trotted a stick down the river today (10.15am – 3pm) overcast and a very strong easterly. Hard work, moved three times, roach and dace not showing – even the perch were not playing. Worked very hard for three small chub around the three pound mark – and the wind stopped during the 15 minute walk back to the car............................

clnnov_zps8d12313a.jpg

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Next time you fish that stretch, try positioning your rod tip a lot lower to the waters surface and let out some line so your bait/weight holds bottom.

rubio

Reaction score
Really getting the hang of blanking. Third in a row. Struggled to find any water I could drop a bait in without collecting a small woodpile every cast. After bumping into another fella giving up as I arrived I nearly didn't bother. A carrier stream(of sorts) offered 4 ft of water flowing half the speed of the main river and I convinced myself something would be laid up there. Searched it out with cheesepaste, worm, bread, sausage and maggot without a twitch. The stretch I wanted to try was inaccessible due to 3ft of water flowing thro the field I needed to cross. Levels not gonna be dropping much this weekend. Maybe it's time to give in to common sense and pop down to the club pond with a tub of pinkies.

neil1970

Reaction score
I spent the morning on the river trotting maggots.
Two roach, two perch, two dace ,all small.
A 3-4lb bream that came off just before the net and a 2lb chub were the highlights of the day :)

andreagrispi

Reaction score
It's difficult at present with all the debrie in the water - tough fishing, but catch the river when water rate is reducing and you could be in for a bonanza!!