How did you get on?

flightliner

Reaction score
Lovely day on a local strech of canal yesterday.A back to basics day. No fancy dan methods ,just good old fashioned 1950s stuff-- short rod, centre pin, invert crow quill, wide gape hook with a big piece of breadflake.
Depth plumbed with a few inches added and cast to mid canal and allowed to drift round into the "huggin".
An hour in before the float slid away givi ng me a nice hybrid, ten minutes later a super roach that went 1-2-- the best I, ve had from this water and I, m chuffed!.
A smallish chub then a long wait until last knockings where three bites on the trot gave me three more really good canal fish.
A really enjoyable day out in the company of one of south yorkshires roach nuts who had an almost similar bag.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Strangely difficult afternoon on the river. Managed eight small grayling, but really had to work hard for them.

neil1970

Reaction score
Two and a half priceless hours spent with my daughter this afternoon.

She's wanted a perch on our last two sessions, one on the dropshot and one lure; she hooked and lost each time.

Maggot feeder made her (and my) day today :)

Last edited:

edsurf

Reaction score
Had A nice day yesterday trotting on a local mill stream.
Around twenty small chub, over a dozen Roach and lost count the number of dace , nothing big but good fun as main river was up and coloured.
A local guy fishing put me on the swim.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I spent a few hours trotting on a local backwater off the Colne today.
Started on breadpunch catching roach to 5oz then changed to single maggot and the perch moved in. Also had a few dace and tiny skimmers.
Nothing big but I was just happy getting bites. Lovely mild day too...

B

binka

I've been stringing some nice fish together just lately in the quest for a big perch, still a way to go yet but it feels like I'm heading in the right direction having taken two like this and pulling out of another on what was otherwise a fairly slow day.

Despite giving the drop shotting a good go in recent weeks with both worm and artificials it's only really accounted for much smaller fish with the better ones like this falling to conventional float and worm tactics...

robertroach

Reaction score
Had a nice afternoon (they're getting short now) the other day on the Hants Avon which was running high and coloured. Managed to find a fishable swim and was well pleased to catch a couple of chub 5lb and 5lb 8oz on legered maggot. Lost another but was well pleased to catch on my new Abu feeder rod which had enough grunt to steer the fish away from the snags.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Fished yesterday - frustrating!!!!!! Caught a load of grayling but lost 2 very large chub - one on float one on feeder, both snapped my 5lb hook length

peter crabtree

Reaction score
A mate drove us to our club match on the river Thame just outside Thame Oxon. As we set off up the A41 dual carriageway in the dark and fog we heard a flapping noise. Flat offside front tyre.. Risked our lives changing the wheel with frighteningly fast traffic just behind us:eek:
Reached the venue with seconds to spare, drew and trudged off across the misty fields to the river. My peg was on the outside of a sweeping bend, 8ft deep in the boiling water beneath my feet and a slack across. First chuck over on the small Blackcap and maggot a nice roach. Then 2 smaller ones and a gudgeon then after the first hour peg died. One more small roach 4 hours later and that was it. I weighed in 0:5:8. Winner had 4lb with back ups in the 3's.
Not exactly the best river match venue, more a roving up and down river but I really enjoyed it.
8 fished....

The Runner

Reaction score
Fished club match on the GUC Slough Arm at Langley Boats. A bit of a frustrating day as the canal switched right off for most people after about three hours (earlier in some cases) for no obvious reason.
Drew opposite the sheds which is where until this season the bigger skimmers would usually show among the roach but the dredging work this spring seems to have moved them and we haven't relocated them yet...
Fed five lines at the start for punch at 5m, groundbait and squatt/pinkie at 8m in front and also a bit off to the left , a pot of chop and caster down the track and well off to the right and pinged a few maggots tight to the boat, again well to the right.
Started on punch, two fish first two put ins then nothing. Gave it ten minutes more, refed a bit and went over on pinkie and started picking up ounce to 2 oz roach and hand sized skimmers and hybrids. Put a big maggot on and got a better roach, things slowed down , refed, came back in on punch, nothing, waggler down the boat, one little roach, and that was the pattern set for the first three hours, needed to switch lines regularly but most fish out at 8m with a few more better (relatively) roach. Gave up on the punch line, nothing over it on squatt either, and fed tight to the boat in two places but for some reason couldn't catch there apart from the odd little roach.
Our chairman on the end peg to my left was catching steadily as well, more fish than me but mostly smaller so thought I was about level or just behind at this point. And then it was as if the proverbial switch had been flicked. Two fish in the last two hours, one of which was a 5 oz perch on the "need a bonus" half worm down the track line- only bite I had on it all day. Derek's switch off lasted only about half an hour though and for the last hour and a half he was catching small roach very steadily tight to the boat after feeding a big pot of frozen joker and fishing a pinkie over the top. Score in the last two hours was I think 47 fish to 2 !
Derek weighed 10-2 (106 fish) for an easy win. I had 5-1 (40 odd) and surprisingly this was enough for second . 3-11 was third from the other side of me (thought he'd done me as well but his fish were a lot smaller) and then 3-10 a couple of pegs further along.; then the weights dropped off steadily with the Mansion Lane end, more often than not the better one , being a bit of a struggle with 3-2 off the end peg then an assortment of 2s and 1s with a three in a line in the middle of the matchlength only with ounces.
Nice day until the breeze got up- dont really expect to be sat in sweatshirt over T shirt on the last day of November

neil1970

Reaction score
I completed some further research in 'how not to fish' a small river today.

Very clear water, so I decided to fill in a crease with a cricket ball size lump of over flavoured liquidised bread, followed by a bag of bright orange pellets accompanied by a large orange pellet wrapped in matching paste, every
20 minutes.:eek:

No bites, even when I switched to maggots for the last hour or so.

What a surprise:eek:mg::eek::D

edsurf

Reaction score
Nice day trotting on the Stour at Throop, few roach and dace and a nice chub around 4lb, How the hell do you up load a photo on here ?

greenie62

Reaction score
I completed some further research in 'how not to fish' a small river today.
Very clear water, so I decided to fill in a crease with a cricket ball size lump of over flavoured liquidised bread, followed by a bag of bright orange pellets accompanied by a large orange pellet wrapped in matching paste, every
20 minutes.:eek:

Glad to see your research Neil,
Tried same tactics for Chub - with plain mashed bread and halibut pellets with krill paste - trout! Switched to trotting maggots - trout! Might follow your lead and try feeding them off with bright orange pellets! ;):)
Tight Lines!

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Today I fished the weirpool one peg up from Neil and his orange pellets :eek:mg:
I fished a half ounce bomb with single red maggot on an 18 hook.
Caught some nice perch and a big gudgeon on my light bomb rod, my mate caught a big chub which charged around the whole pool. Couldn't get a bite after that with the exception a tiny Millers thumb or Bullhead. This reminded me of an old saying " if you're catching bullheads then there's no big fish in the swim".
Nice day out...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Finally managed a trip out targetting grayling, it was an enjoyable session and I finnished up with 60 plus grayling to 2 1/2lb and 30 plus trout to 2 1/2lb. I used a set of breathable waders and felt boots today for the first time (i've had them for two years ! ) and I was amazed at how they gipped the slippy rocks ! It was great to walk without slipping as I have for years with my rubber soled waders.