Improve your coarse fishing advertising, errr... i mean magazine

A

alan whittington

Plenty of fuss on various forums over the Marco Cortesi centrepin to suggest that not all Dragon Carp stuff is junk. It's also been available in two other guises at £60-£100.

Sam,you must excuse my comment on Dragoncarp gear as it was a comment directly fired towards Mark(we have discussed them before),not every item of tackle is rubbish,just most:eek:,i havnt seen the 'pin'(and even if i had,im no pin expert)in question although ive read good things on site,but generally reels and rods from them should be used as footings for housing and Mark's mates should be apologised for,for their lack of knowledge,or short sightedness,that said they are fine for the first time angler,its the lads who know they like the sport and want to improve their gear,so as to be fit for purpose.:)
P.S. top end gear isnt what i meant really Mark,even a cheap Shimano reel is better than most of the other's.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
You might be surprised with Shakespeaere rods - some good feeder rods from them and good prices too

Paul,
judging by the many comments on various forums I'm quite sure it's the case. I still doubt that I'll get over my irrational aversion though.:eek:

I don't buy through brand at all. I personally think that unless you have little choice (i.e limited experience and no access to qualified but unbiased advise), this is a crazy option.
I tend to look at the tactics I want to use and then decide or research the best specification, for the intended task. Only then do I look for a rod/reel/line or whatever. Very occasionally I get it wrong but not as often as in the past when I relied upon the advise given in various magazines or from Tackle dealers.

Basically, through buying a lot of unsuitable products I now have a better idea. I do resent/begrudge the bad advise I recieved from those who had no real interest (or no ability) in helping me, merely a financial interest. I'm tight, I don't mind admitting that I don't like buying a second product to replace the unsuitable one I purchased first.

An awful lot of my tackle didn't cost a lot of money compared to comparative products yet in many cases I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that it is superior.
I mentioned researching to decide the best product specification. By this I mean I look to any source which is likely to be accurate. Within this I'd include anglers whos knowledge and ability I respect but also science text books and technical information from outside of angling, physics for instance. An awful lot of those who advise on tackle don't really know the scientific facts relating to the products they advocate and their advise is often contrary to these!

Tim,
I suspect that we are driving at a similar point from slightly different angles but I'm failing miserably to express myself adequately. For that I can only apologise.

Sam,you must excuse my comment on Dragoncarp gear as it was a comment directly fired towards Mark(we have discussed them before),not every item of tackle is rubbish,just most:eek:,i havnt seen the 'pin'(and even if i had,im no pin expert)in question although ive read good things on site,but generally reels and rods from them should be used as footings for housing and Mark's mates should be apologised for,for their lack of knowledge,or short sightedness,that said they are fine for the first time angler,its the lads who know they like the sport and want to improve their gear,so as to be fit for purpose.:)
P.S. top end gear isnt what i meant really Mark,even a cheap Shimano reel is better than most of the other's.

Alan,
I won't disagree with that. I'd generally avoid Dragon Carp stuff like the plague. When I was in the market for a centrepin I couldn't bring myself to buy either of the Cortesi predecessors. Glad I didn't when the Cortesi turned up at thirty quid. Just a shame I'd already shelled out more for what I did end up with.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
Sam no need to appologise, say what you want mate. I don't get your point yet but even if I dissagree with you its no biggie. Loads of people think that I talk through my bum hole anyway, but thats life. Your lucky, I'm sure bob is going to give me a thick ear when i next see him...

A

alan whittington

I wouldnt say that i buy by brand,but there are brands that i wouldnt consider buying,unless told by someone who's opinion i respect then i'd have a look,my experiences tell me what action i would want in a rod,so a quick waggle would tell me the story,but thats me,you may like the brands and actions i dont,you know the way it is,if a manufacturer has let you down in any way,its unlikely you'll return.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Yes Tim, I'll be over to box yer ears on either the 1/2 April (Chapman's Open Day)...!

You mention your good friend DT. I suspect most will say, rather unkindly, who? That's not a dig at Dave, who was already writing when I reluctantly penned my first article, but we're not talking about a prolific mainstream writer, are we? And Dave's articles do tend rather to be Secret Service documents with the only real information given away being the name of species and what it weighed. He's certainly not what you would call an instructional writer by a long chalk.

But as you've let the cat out of the bag, why not name names?

Does MH not 'occasionally' mention TFG (and prior to that Fox, Shimano, Gold Label, etc)? Does Martin hide his association with Drennan under a bushel? What about Mr Cundiff? And Danny never mentions Daiwa or Korda, does he?

I've simply highlighted a few top names for illustration - please guys be flattered not offended - but it's an accusation that can be levelled against practically every successful angler who is prepared to share his knowledge in the mainstream press on a regular basis.

How else do you help an angler to catch fish if you don't tell him where you go, what baits and what tackle you personally choose to use to achieve the result?

You certainly don't do it by sticking a long peaked baseball cap on the bonce of someone who's rapidly approaching pensionable age. How naff does that look?

But back to articles. It all boils down to three genres, atmospheric, generic or technical article. The first two have been done to death, so much so they're mere variations on a theme. The latter is the only one to bring a new dimension to the table in that it highlights new materials and products.

The vast majority of angling writing, by its very nature is cyclic and repetitive. Predictable even. Indeed it is arguably the best example of recycling on the planet outside the content of fishing forums.

Bob Roberts
Bob Roberts - Fishing information for the complete angler

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
I think you have a point to be fair bob with regards to the mentioning of products but wouldn't it be just as easy to say somethink like "I thread one of the mesh type p.va bags on the hook-link" as it would "I thread a 'funnelweb bag onto the hook-link". To the reader it is just as educational.
With regards mainstream writers I'd say dave is amongst the most prominent and he can actually write which is something that is sadly lacking in the modern angling media in my opinion (and I'd include myself in that category). On the whole I'd say I find daves stuff more interesting, more entertaining and atleast as educational as anyone elses. Given the choice between this and the 'one long advertisement style' of say Ken Townley and there ain't no comparison.
Tony miles is as mainstream as it gets and while Tony is sponsored he still comes across as being unbiased.. By that I mean he mentions that he uses Drennan continental hooks for his barbel fishing and Kryston Hooklengths despite apparently having his feet in the TFG camp. I get the impression that despite his connections tony won't sulley the content of his pieces for the sake of a totally irrelevant 'plug'. Jim Gibbinson is another writer whos opinion on tackle strikes me as unbiased and trustworthy.

A

alan whittington

I agree Tim,also Stef Horak,whose arrogant manner within his articles i detest,doesnt say anything about his major items of tackle,which makes me put up with it,he's probably an ok guy who doesnt take fools gladly,hope he doesnt meet me anytime soon then.:j:j:j

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
I think Steffs stuff is brilliant, he makes me laugh, something which is not easy to achieve in print.
I don't find steff arrogant as such, I feel he is just very good at what he does. The thing is when nearly each time you go out fishing you get results like steffs you are going to be confident in your tactics and in order to express the point of the piece it is fairly important to emphasise this confidence. To a reader the difference beween confidence and arrogance is difficult to detect. I've experienced this myself in a bream piece I wrote. It read like I was a right know it all so I changed it several times but whatever I changed it to I couldn't find the balance between education and sounding arrogant.

I can't get steffs tactics to work on my rivers by the way, certainly not with the chub. I usually end up with several very modest fish or in those areas that seem to only hold big fish i find I have to wait until dusk to get a bite, same as with big baits. This is one of the reasons i'm sure steff is so good at what he does.

As far as I'm concerned steff is a breath of fresh air.

A

alan whittington

Tim,i enjoy reading the articles,i dont enjoy the arrogance and it is that,without doubt he's a brilliant angler,with lots of know-how,i'd like to know,would you slag off someone of lesser ability than yourself in print(i know he doesnt name names),i know we mock others amongst ourselves,but not in the national angling media.:rolleyes:
If you turned up on the W.Avon blind,armed with knowledge from your own water,you would be fair game for Stef and lets be honest,a lot of anglers couldnt get away with the price of a gallon of casters for a days barbel fishing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You certainly don't do it by sticking a long peaked baseball cap on the bonce of someone who's rapidly approaching pensionable age. How naff does that look?

Mmmmm......

crw_7567.jpg

Sorry Bob, no malice intended... just couldn't resist! :j

As my old Dad would say...you set'em up son...

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
What a belting Chub!

Himalayan Balsam? .... has it got up North too? Ruddy stuff...have you seen how it behaves when it wants to shed it's seeds...me and my clothes and all my tackle needed a wash.

Nice hat Bob, and it has to be said that is an exceptionaly good photograph, the clarity and colour are superb. One to get framed?

richiekelly

Reaction score
Tim,i enjoy reading the articles,i dont enjoy the arrogance and it is that,without doubt he's a brilliant angler,with lots of know-how,i'd like to know,would you slag off someone of lesser ability than yourself in print(i know he doesnt name names),i know we mock others amongst ourselves,but not in the national angling media.:rolleyes:
If you turned up on the W.Avon blind,armed with knowledge from your own water,you would be fair game for Stef and lets be honest,a lot of anglers couldnt get away with the price of a gallon of casters for a days barbel fishing.

the gallon of casters might be coming from the tackle shop owner he fishes with nowadays,he does a fair amount of what he calls codding himself fishing the trent at thrumpton.

flightliner

Reaction score
At over twenty five quid I certainly couldn't.
Half a pint is all you need at times.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

nowadays,he does a fair amount of what he calls codding himself fishing the trent at thrumpton.
Theres a guy fishes Thrumpton with a minimal amount of bait and he knocks the socks off ANYONE, keeps himself to himself , top angler, The mags would love him but I dont think he would be interested.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Please don't take any implication from my post that I was talking about any individual or what bait they use. My comment was that I'd not be using a gallon of casters in any situation as it would cost me in excess of twenty five quid to do so. Twenty five quid would buy me enough pellet to last an entire season. I couldn't care less what others do or do not do.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Half a pint is all you need at times.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Theres a guy fishes Thrumpton with a minimal amount of bait and he knocks the socks off ANYONE, keeps himself to himself , top angler, The mags would love him but I dont think he would be interested.

his name doesnt begin with R does it? if it does i totaly agree.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Mark's mates should be apologised for,for their lack of knowledge,or short sightedness
One of them fish's maybe 10 times a year. he totally enjoys his fishing but, he doesn't take it seriously at all. He goes to the local Carp puddle catches a few fish and goes home with a big smile on his face. Then promptly forgets all about fishing til the next time he goes. He couldn't care less where the tackle comes from or how "good" it is as long as it doesn't fall to bits he's happy.
I'm sure he isn't the only angler with this attitude either.
For him the articles in IYCF are a revelation.