Martin Gay's Historic Carp Captures - THIS is 'Overwhelming Evidence'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Re: Martin Gay's Historic Carp Captures - THIS is 'Overwhelming Evidence'...

So in terms of the lamprey bite I am convinced that is dismissed.
The jury is still out as far as the warm water outlet goes though.

If anything I think Eddie now has a much more convincing case than the anti Martin camp it might be interesting to run the poll again and see if anyone has changed their minds.

The bad one

Reaction score

Phil the Hotties are long gone, along with the exotics it had. It’s a few year since I last walked it, but it did have some very large carp in it, up to just under 30 lb and they were commons as well. Now there’s an irony for you! :D

Ah the test matches.....looking good at the moment!

tonybull

Reaction score

Tonybull,

I think there are many things missing from this story, and that is all i can see it as.

So what if Chris yates had something to say about it, who cares.

Background missing from photos, now the photos are missing, disposed of or not ?? Would you dispose photos of your husband or wife, with such a so called historic catch, I doubt it.

There are far to many things that don't add up, but clearly, to Cliff and Eddie, 2+2 =5 cos thats what they have.

I think more now than ever, that these fish were from Canada.

It's up to Cliff and Eddie to come up with the photo's, name the water, and a correct weight. So far they have fallen a long way short, and i doubt, well i am sure they don't have the proof as required.

Its been said Martin wasn't interested in records etc etc, yet was quick to show photos around, then change them ?? Very Strange

Cliff just ignores what me and you and some others have to say because between us we are to Direct with it all.

At the end of the Day, Cliff and Eddie are digging a bigger hole for themselves because they trying to turn forum posters against Paul S and Co and that's not the right way of going about things.

They should focus on naming the water and producing the photo's, its that Simple :)

paul1_

Reaction score

The lamprey mark was significant for both Martin and Robin, when Martin was quite happy to concede he had caught his fish on holiday in Canada

Bad One I think I have worked out why Eric never mentioned his spat with MG to you or Nick. The spat was in 1989, we didn't start the SACG until later. Eric"s view always was the carp were caught in Canada by the way and he stated this very strongly in 1990 in Lymm at a BCSG meeting at the Railway Hotel when he did a talk for the NW Branch.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score

Phil the Hotties are long gone, along with the exotics it had. It’s a few year since I last walked it, but it did have some very large carp in it, up to just under 30 lb and they were commons as well. Now there’s an irony for you! :D

Ah the test matches.....looking good at the moment!

Had a feeling you were going to say that....:(

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

If anything I think Eddie now has a much more convincing case than the anti Martin camp.

Not to me Benny, i am more for the fish coming from Canada than ever before.

Still No Photos, No Naming of the water, no correct weights.

I know Cliff and Eddie have put a hell of a lot of time into this, but sadly they have said on the other threat, they CAN NOT PROVE they are English fish. They are simply trying to get people on their side. Cliff said in one of his posts to Paul1, it's time to put up, or S**T up. I think thats the case for Cliff and Eddie, this is becoming more comical by the day

All those that say they saw the photo's, and none of them can remember what was in the background, come on. If this was such an historic catch, which it isn't, then you would remember all right.

As for the warm water, who is to say Martin was at the other end of the water, well away from any out let, and warm water.

I don't buy the fact the photos were changed to protect the water etc etc, i think more to protect the angler. Was it Canada ? Was he Poaching ? I wouldn't have thought Martin would have a photo with a NO Fishing sign in the background, do you ? Would you dispose of such photo's, i don't buy that either.

They were caught in Canada, and it's down to Cliff and Eddie to prove otherwise, and they are a long way from doing that.

Reading this and the other threads on the matter, it's easy to see why non anglers talk of fishy tales, and the one that got away.

Tonybull is right, it's simple to prove.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

I have just had an email from a mate of mine. He is a Tutor at Eton Uni. I asked him if a Geologist could look at a photo of rocks etc etc.

He asked me to send him a photo of the rocks, and his Eaton colleague a geologist would look at them for me.

The Geologist has emailed me, and i have spoken to him on the phone.

I sent a photo of a multi coloured rock. Not only could he tell me it hadn't been in water, he even told me where i got the rocks.

How on earth can you tell, where i got the rock from, i asked,

Easy he said,

It has the Isle of Wight all the way through the middle :D:D:eek:mg::eek:mg:

Last edited:
B

binka

I have just had an email from a mate of mine. He is a Tutor at Eaton Uni. I asked him if a Geologist could look at a photo of rocks etc etc.

He asked me to send him a photo of the rocks, and his Eaton colleague a geologist would look at them for me.

The Geologist has emailed me, and i have spoken to him on the phone.

I sent a photo of a multi coloured rock. Not only could he tell me it hadn't been in water, he even told me where i got the rocks.

How on earth can you tell, where i got the rock from, i asked,

Easy he said,

It has the Isle of Wight all the way through the middle :D:D:eek:mg::eek:mg:

The like was for the gag Ray, everything else in this thread I'm having nothing to do with one way or t'other :D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

The like was for the gag Ray, everything else in this thread I'm having nothing to do with one way or t'other :D

To a point i am with you, but it's so simple to show the facts, thats what gets me.

Sorry folks, should be Eton, not Eaton.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

To a point i am with you, but it's so simple to show the facts, thats what gets me.

flightliner

Reaction score

Had me thinking there Ray, Eaton college is a faith school in Nottinhamshire.:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Damn. When I saw PJ had posted on here I thought "At last...the mods have had enough of this pointless squabbling and the threads been locked".

Sadly not.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score

Paul Selman said - not for the first time - "So when Martin Gay's family said he fished and caught the big commons near the warm water outflow at Lennox it could be anywhere from there to Kingston Town where his relatives lived. It was also in the heat of summer, so the water would have been warm along the shore for miles. Only Martin or Yvonne would know! "

This is a classic Selmanism; this time attributing words to Martin's family which they have never uttered. I feel certain the family has NO IDEA this is being discussed on FM. It is JamesN and JamesN ONLY who tells us that Nate, the nephew, said his uncle came home 'white and visibly shaking' but is unable or unwilling to report the upshot to this: that his uncle came home later during the fortnight's stay with jubilant news of carp fishing success. Can JamesN throw some light on this? You can't have one without the other.

This is a crucial point which should be recognised by all those with a genuine interest in all of this.

Anyway..the Editor's New Year resolution is to rest on the excellent and overwhelming evidence provided by Eddie Benham and the 4 eminent geologists. I will not return to this subject other than in exceptional circumstances. I leave you with my responses to Paul Selman's FW post...

Paul Selman wrote: You ignore and disregard any points raised or questions asked that are inconvenient or do not suit your agenda [I challenge you, Paul, to substantiate this claim. Eddie and I have nothing to gain and nothing to hide. Neither of us has ever ducked a question other than those of a nonsensical nature] You are not debating or discussing this subject [Between us we have written 5 major articles and have patiently addressed a great many questions] What you are trying to do is gag, bully and cajole everybody into accepting YOUR version of events [Show us some evidence of this. If you mean we’re able to counter questions and objections with plausible and convincing truths then…yes! Would your customary, childish emoticon insults constitute bullying, by the way?]

I would add that you have tried to demonize me, Robin Monday and James Nowell in Toronto whom you keep [once] describing as my friend when we have never met or spoken [I have merely exposed your wealth of contradictions, foolhardy claims, thoughtless assumptions and brashness – and that’s all. A long, long list can be compiled at the drop of a hat if you’d like a record of them. Eddie and I have suggested on more than one occasion that Robin was either mistaken or used as a patsy – we haven’t ‘demonized’ him – we rather sympathize with him if anything. I have already acknowledged the friendship thing, Paul, but being ‘friends’ on Facebook and sending cheery greetings to him do suggest a degree of chumminess don’t they?]

You keep saying the Carp Society had some sort of agenda against Martin Gay and hated him etc [Nobody has suggested this; only that the Carp Society – and you in particular – were sufficiently frustrated by Martin’s secrecy to hang him out to dry…to ‘demonize’ him] This is also nonsense: he had friends on the Steering Committee who discussed the case and the picture of Martin with his big Canadian [British] fish was proudly displayed on the official Carp Society Photographic Board at several conferences which can be seen here:
photo.php

Robin Monday never came to the Carp Society: the Canadian hoax had already been exposed in Carpworld by Tim Paisley [Are you referring to the Tim Paisley who didn’t publish Martin Gay’s letter of explanation in Carp World – a copy of which is held by Eddie Benham? And are you referring to the ‘hoax’ concerning mountainous backdrops and big carp which were caught “one million per cent” in British Columbia where there is “fantastic carp fishing” or, possibly, the ‘hoax’ concerning big carp caught “one million per cent” at Lennox Power Station, Ontario, and NOT British Columbia where, you decided after 25 years, the carp fishing wasn’t so good after all? Would this be the ‘hoax’ for which there was “overwhelming evidence”?]

You simply make things up to suit your purpose [Name one example} including exaggerating the number who allegedly [actually] saw the original pictures at your club meeting from 9 to 12 in the course of your own narrative [A fairly inconsequential point but, for the record, there were 9 committee members who saw the pics at the meeting. At another time I saw them, plus Chris Yates, Robin Monday, Martin’s closest friend and one non-angler – that’s 13 in all] You say it was me that said Martin went on holiday to British Columbia, when it was Martin himself who kept saying this in print, when in fact he was fishing near Lennox Power Station, Kingston, Ontario near the home of his family all the time. Isn't that dishonest of him? [No, it’s not. Martin did holiday in British Columbia; in Banff in fact. Furthermore, my close friend of 37 years never ONCE mentioned fishing in Lake Ontario. Think about that. It is true that he and his wife stayed in Ontario, for two and a half weeks under the same roof. If Martin’s nephew recalls his uncle returning home ‘white and visibly shaking’ at seeing some big carp he’d also remember his uncle returning home some time later during his stay ‘elated at catching so many huge carp’. But he doesn’t! Why is James unable or reluctant to report such an occasion? Is Yvonne Gay’s family – including Nate – aware of this debacle? Think about it…]
The photo I used on here for illustrative purposes of Lake Ontario, Kingston, near to where Martin fished was the only one I could find which was not copyrighted. It came off the official Kingston Town tourist site [Even more amazing then that you were able to pinpoint the swim he fished and the spot where he parked his car. You even told the world how Martin dashed back to his vehicle for a wash and brush-up for the photographs, Paul. And you didn’t use the photo just for ‘illustrative purposes’: you told us of Martin’s ablutions and that it was Lennox Power Station in a wholly factual manner – but it was actually Kingston Hospital. You just don’t think things through, Paul: amazing for a man in the legal profession] In the photo of the '48' which Martin claims was really a '50', which was cropped by Colin Dyson, the main foliage is a species of Solidago canadensis (Canadian Golden Rod) which is not found in the UK [Solidago Canadensis is found all over the world, Paul, including the UK. Millions have it in their front gardens and it is currently giving China a problem like the one we have with Himalayan Balsam. This is a readily Googlable fact, Paul ]
I have asked why none of you who claim [actually did] to have seen the photos came forward in 1989 in support of Martin Gay? No answer is provided. Another thing made up to suit your purpose? [Apologies. Both Eddie and I had letters published in Carp World 1989 contesting the Carp Society’s decree. I have taken up the cudgels repeatedly since that date. And by your own words, we didn’t reply, so how can anything be made up? Again, you just don’t think things through do you?]
Eddie says he was taken into Wilton's confidence and used his bait. Well, can I humbly ask Eddie to contact Fred and ask him from which country Martin caught his fish? He will be told they were caught from Canada [Ok, I’ll ask him to. But you said the same thing about Jim Gibbinson. You told us that Jim would back up the Canada story “one million per cent” – but he didn’t, did he? All he said was “Ask Robin Monday – he’ll tell you” And anyway, how would Fred know?]
Our purpose at the time was to protect the integrity of the British Record Carp List, particularly as we controlled the historic Redmire Pool at the time. We were not interested in Martin's other fish [So the 3 thirties and the half ton of twenties and doubles came from another lake? Be serious, Paul…] just the so-called 48 [Fair enough, Paul…it was 50lbs+] when he was claiming THE DAY I BROKE **** WALKER'S RECORD [He didn’t claim this. It’s been said time and again that this was Coarse Angler editor, Colin Dyson’s headline. Martin hated it]

I am not interested in fanciful nonsense on FM [You have been comprehensively banged to rights, Mr. Selman. You have tripped yourself up repeatedly along the way with foolish theories, bogus photographs, “one million per cent” assurances of two separate stories, a glaring botanical inaccuracy, wrongful allegations (see above and elsewhere) and making ridiculous claims about mountains in Martin’s photos – which you never, ever saw. You have been proved wrong about the dates Martin was in Canada and you have been shown the minutes of the Moor Hall Committee meeting in Essex that prove he was in England at the time of his 34.4lb common capture.
In stark contrast, everything Eddie and I have presented has been grounded in personal knowledge (we don’t lie) corroborated facts from Eddie’s comprehensive archive material and the entire Moor Hall committee (1989 - ) plus highly detailed accounts – including spot-on weather conditions – of the many successful trips Martin made to the same lake over a 3 month period in 1990. He COULDN’T have been in Canada.
So, Martin Gay, self-confessed ‘plonker of a carp angler’, wearing shorts and trainers and with the temerity to ‘take his wife along’ made the catch of a lifetime using a 12ft carp rod, 10lb line and a Mitchell 300. Well played, Martin!

I am interested in only simple truths like this one:

Robin Monday wrote in May 2015 [25 years up the line and under pressure from Eddie Benham and myself who revealed just how many people had seen the untouched pic’s before Robin Monday did] "I was fishing for barbel every weekend with Martin [‘Every weekend’? Martin went to Canada before the second weekend of the season] until he went to Canada on holiday and came back showing me all the photo's of the carp he caught whilst away, so let's stop all this doubt once and for all. [Inaccurate. The photos Martin showed Robin had been processed by Boots the Chemist. There would have been a processing delay of a few days (normally) before which Martin could well have caught the big ‘un in the second half of his third week’s holiday] Martin was a good friend and has now taken the truth [??? see the verdict of 4 geologists] to the grave with him. RIP

Robin Monday also said, May 2015: “I can't remember exactly what was in each photo but the size of the rocks and the horizon that was so far away that it could never have been in this country” [There was never any mention of ‘rocks’ and ‘distant horizons’, not for 25 years! The ‘rocks’ only appeared in May 2015 strangely enough - along with the new Lake Ontario story. Robin only ever said that the background “…didn’t appear to be English”]
“Anyway why would I doubt it we were best mates that fished together every week, he goes on holiday and comes back with loads of photo's of large common carp” [I repeat – he didn’t. His photos were processed at a local Boots the Chemist. He didn’t ‘come back with’ loads of photos] If you have seen one of the 48 common just look for the large lamprey mark on it's belly" [Lamprey bites are quite distinctive. The pinkish mark on the 50lber – photographed from 6-7 feet? was NOT distinctive and could have been caused by anything. Who hasn’t seen red or pink or orange marks on a carp?]

The icing on the cake? That’ll be the testimonies of four (4) qualified geologists who all agree that the shots of Martin with his superb British common carp were NOT taken on the banks of Lake Ontario.

Happy New Year!! Ed.

eddiebenham

Reaction score

Bad One I think I have worked out why Eric never mentioned his spat with MG to you or Nick. The spat was in 1989, we didn't start the SACG until later. Eric"s view always was the carp were caught in Canada by the way and he stated this very strongly in 1990 in Lymm at a BCSG meeting at the Railway Hotel when he did a talk for the NW Branch.

REALLY ? How about this then from a letter by Eric Hodson inCoarse Angler, February, 1990.

"Re my debate with Martin Gay, nothing untoward was inferred when I said, 'I don't know how much carp fishing you do'. It was a simple statement of fact, and was written in connection with Martin's stated aversion to some modern carp anglers methods. In no way did it cast any doubts on Martin's ability. In fact Martin and I have been friends for the best part of twenty years, so I am well aware of his angling ability, and I am more than delighted that it was he who re-wrote the carp record book.
His behaviour since has been in angling's best traditions. The speculation as to where the fish actually came from, whilst understandable, is likely to be very misleading. My hope is that Martin keeps the location to himself. My original suspicion that these fish came from abroad was wrong, but it was only a suspicion."

Last edited:

tonybull

Reaction score

Cliff & Eddie

Give up the ghost trying to dis-credit Paul S and Co at every opportunity and just name the water and produce the photo's with the sign in the background that will show the name of the water.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

Well the Editor of this long winded, non factual, STORY, has said he will not return unless it is Exceptional Circumstances.

In other words, he is doing a runner as he can't, and hasn't proved the fish came from the UK.

So we can only take it, that the fish WERE CAUGHT IN CANADA.

His new year resolution should have been, to show the photo's and name the water :eek:mg: what was i thinking.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

It should also have been Eton College too Ray . . .

Ye Gods man, we would have been soundly flogged for calling the alma mata
. . . . . . a university

It's only a college, nothing special. Think about it, look at the T**ts they kick out that end up governing us. :D:D:D.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score

I very nearly ran over a certain member of the Royal Family there one time, the students / planks / victims have a habit of stepping out into the road without bothering themselves to check for traffic.

Still, no dramas, it was only an L reg Fiesta, worth less than a decent Drennan rod.....:)

bennygesserit

Reaction score

This has been an interesting series of threads they would have been longer except for the fact that some posts , mine and others have been deleted.There is an ever present threat to delete that isn't condusive to a real debate. I think Cliff should continue to produce articles but have his moderation rights removed , you don't see the other Mods getting into slanging matches.

The tiny details of the mystery are quite illuminating I am an admirer of writing, and thought, that clearly tries to get to the truth of a matter, so listening to the evidence relating to lampreys alternate between being proven and disproven was fascinating. Firstly the bite was definitive proof of the fish being Canadian , then it turns out to be too large and not look like a lamprey bite , and so on. The same with other facts the warm water outlet cannot be fished other than by boat ! However warm water might spread quite a way !

But for all the tiny details that went to and Fro , for all the circumstantial evidence being sifted through by various experts the biggest sets of evidence have been completely side stepped and ignored.

Why not simply contact Martin's family in Canada ?
Why go like a bull in a china shop at JamesN , spook the peg and lose a chance to talk to him.
Why not ask all those eminent anglers that Paul Selman has produced and ask them if Martin spoke to them directly.

There has been too much fiddling around at the edges if a reporter were investigating this he would have gone directly to the people involved.

Last edited:
B

binka

Had me thinking there Ray, Eaton college is a faith school in Nottinhamshire.:)

As you know Mick I attended "Eaton" when it was an agricultural college... It doesn't half impress people that I tell, especially without the benefit of the subtle difference of the written spelling, when I accidentally forget to correct their natural thought path :wh :D

I'm sure I once got a job purely off the back of it.

Sorry, off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.