New World Record Common again.

jcp01

Reaction score
I hope this argument about carp fishing runs and runs and runs. The longer it runs the deeper and wider will be the divide between the aesthetes who want fishing to be about exactly what the philistines do not want it to be about, until there comes a day when both camps will have exactly what they want, which is complete separation...

I am, for the record, a confirmed aesthete and therefore the British record carp still stands at 51lb 8oz and the reason I think this way is because Chris Yate's fish was stalked and caught on freelined sweetcorn. Of course the lake was fished by others who were all there for the one thing and the one thing only - to catch a record fish by whatever means. However, to my mind it still stands as a perfect capture, unlike any other since.

Compare the style of that capture to current practice at Redmire ~

"On day 2 I cast all my rods into the central channel of the lake but I think the fish were sitting above the weed and therefore missing the bait presented to them. I think I would have opted for a helicopter rig next time as the weed was very bad. The bait I was using was fake pop-up maize that normally works well in the colder months. On the other two rods I had spam and a Mainline Cell boilie. If I was to go again I would just use fake sweetcorn on all rods I am sure that would result in success with a small PVA funnel web bag of pellets attached to the hook."

From ~ redmire Carp Hub

Fake. It seems to be the answer to everything nowadays, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Rufus,
Fake corn, fake flies??

Just lures after all.

Other than that I agree the modern attitude " as big as I can by any means " does grate on me too.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
04.02 yoiks! Did you really get up at that time to put that post on Ed?

Graham

04.02 there is only 23.02 here --theres a 5 hour time difference between there and here ......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff

Where did I say anything about you in my posting ??
I was, in fact, talking generally about when anyone catches a decent fish there are always people who will 'knock' the captors achievment ....

But, "If the cap fits.....etc"

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Where did I say anything about you in my posting ??
I was, in fact, talking generally about when anyone catches a decent fish there are always people who will 'knock' the captors achievment ....

But, "If the cap fits.....etc"
Ed, Do you really take me for half an idiot? :eek: :eek: :( :confused: ;)

You still don't get it though, it's nothing to do with his personal achievement or the fact it is still a decent fish, well, a monster fish really.

It's just that - it's already been done.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
More pictures of the fish from my Flickr pages, courtesy Dave Chilton:

4685306832_c80b48f912_b.jpg

4685306844_9d796ce397_b.jpg

jcp01

Reaction score
Rufus,
Fake corn, fake flies??

Just lures after all.

In my mind the two things are worlds apart - you can't just hurl a dry fly out on a end of a zig rig and expect to catch trout - carp, yes of course, but I think you'd have to employ some skill with trout, I believe? Perhaps not...

Roach then?

Whatever....!

It's my firm belief, after a lifetime of fishing, that how a fish is caught is more important than if a fish is caught at all.

I cannot be persuaded otherwise!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/...0b48f912_b.jpg

I doubt the chap will fish for it again (or anything else for that matter) as it looks like he's straining for a hernia in that picture . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Do you really take me for half an idiot?

. . . . . . . . . . .. nah, too easy that one LOL

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Ed, Do you really take me for half an idiot? :eek: :eek: :( :confused: ;)

You still don't get it though, it's nothing to do with his personal achievement or the fact it is still a decent fish, well, a monster fish really.

It's just that - it's already been done.

And so has climbing Mount Everest. :wh..........

And a good number of those who have done it have tried to do it again.

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
In my mind the two things are worlds apart - you can't just hurl a dry fly out on a end of a zig rig and expect to catch trout

You are kidding aren't you? I bet if you lumped a Tipulidae pattern out on a zip you'd bag up on trout. We used to fish buzzers and dragonfly larvae patterns in a method that wasn't far from zigging and would catch our bag. Trout make the average carp look intelligent!

I personally think Yate's record wasn't really any more worthy than Porters, both were spawn bound fish, artificially high in weight. Redmire is also a bit of a puddle compared to some of the other waters, not exactly hard to find the fish is it? And don't forget Chris couldn't see where he was casting ;)

Compare that to Hearns capture of Mary, from a massive, low stock venue in November and I think that was far more worthy, and a lot more work went into the capture.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Jeff for once take your blinkers off.:cool: Nermin fishes that particular water for many of the other huge fish that it contains. There are still monsters in there that he has not yet caught.

He was not trying for Mary, again he was after the others. He will continue to chase them but if he catches Mary once more it will not be his fault. :(

The fact that there are only two anglers, himself and Gary Haughes who have broken the carp world record twice. (incidently both anglers caught the same fish twice even though they were fishing for other huge heavyweights) That makes it in angling circles not only a remarkable capture but a major event.

Its as daft as saying in athletics when Husain Bolt breaks his previous world record. “When he did it the first time why did he not give it up? Been there done it.”

A PB in angling is a personal milestone and a World Record...well it goes off the scale.

I am not comparing Everest or Bolt with angling achievements but once in a while Jeff it would be nice to show a little grace.
End of. :w

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
but once in a while Jeff it would be nice to show a little grace.
Oh give me bl**dy strength.

Let me spell it out once and for bl**dy all.

YES, GOOD CATCH, WELL DONE, but headline newsworthy? - NOT SO!

The title of this thread says it all (whoever created it) - New World Record Common again.

And what if again and again and again? Does it always merit the same headlines?

If Bolt beats his own records it will be something spectacular because that takes exception personal training and a great deal of dedication and physical effort. Catching a fish is, as said, a little different. As for climbing Everest, well after 1953, it all got a bit samey. How many times do you read about it as a headline? Erm - never, except when it's a 22 year old woman.

So drop it. The mans caught his fish, he's proud of it, but we saw it before - it's a big fish. What more can be said? How many lavish words would you like me to pour over it?

Can any of us get to fish for it? If there's one in the Thames like that it will be headline material.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
You copied and pasted that, cos it starts with a capital letter, theres no way you could spell it ;)