New World Record Common again.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Jeff

What is a y'ed?

Although 100% Mancunian when I married I spent many a happy year in the small town of Westhoughton, near Bolton. The locals were referred to as Cow Yeds.

This saying came about when in the 1800's a local farm labourer came across a cow with its head stuck fast through a newly built gate.

After unsuccessfully trying to prise the unfortunate creatures head from the gate the solution came to him in a flash. He ran to one of the farm buildings and emerged with a saw.

Not wanting to get into the bad books of the farmer who was a noted skin flint and had just paid for a new gate he then proceeded to saw the cows head off. :eek:

So there you have it.....a yed.

............Good job it was not you M'lud who found the cow stuck fast in that defenceless position....or is it lamb you prefer? ;)

coelacanth

Reaction score
Although 100% Mancunian when I married I spent many a happy year in the small town of Westhoughton, near Bolton. The locals were referred to as Cow Yeds.

Not many waters in Howfen apart from farm ponds. You ever fish Eatock Pit? Last time I fished there Chris Yates still had the record and people would have said you were thick in't'yed if you'd have talked about carp of 90lb...

Reaction score
BC -when I worked in Westhoughton they told me that it was the local fire brigade that removed cow's head......I hope we don't have a case of a repeat decapitation here....some folk might query it's value. (Sorry Jeff couldn't resist!)

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Not many waters in Howfen apart from farm ponds. You ever fish Eatock Pit? Last time I fished there Chris Yates still had the record and people would have said you were thick in't'yed if you'd have talked about carp of 90lb...

In 1985 I caught my first 20lb carp (29-04) :D in Melches pond off Plodder lane opposite Townleys maternity hospital in Bolton. My wife who was in at the time had just given birth to our daughter Sarah the night before.

I was a wagon driver at the time and my boss gave me a few days grace. To maximise my free time I decided before visiting them to fish at Melches for a few hours.

At 4am in the morning I landed my first ever 20, but disaster loomed as I did not have a camera with me. The only course of action was to sack the carp and run over two fields and vault over numerous barbed wire fences. I hid the tackle and set off full speed to the Hospital, not easy with wellingtons.

Arriving at the maternity home I found a pay phone in a room full of fathers to be. I dialled my brother’s number who answered the phone, it was a bad crackerly line, and I pleaded with him to come down with his camera. Because of the excitement over the last two days my adrenalin was gushing and in front of the audience bellowed......

GET DOWN HERE WITH THE CAMERA I’VE JUST HAD A 20 POUNDER!!!

The look on the faces of the fathers to be was one of sheer horror, a look I will never forget. :eek::eek::eek:

When the shots were taken I went straight over to see Chris and told her the story, she was not impressed at all. :(

Women eh? :confused:

coelacanth

Reaction score
Because of the excitement over the last two days my adrenalin was gushing and in front of the audience bellowed......

Any women who heard must have winced at that one!

I'm told Melches has been knackered by little (and big) scrotes, sadly.
I caught my first double the year before from the lodge at the top of Lock Lane, but bearing in mind I was 14 at the time I was quite pleased with it.
Funny, back then I could have told you exactly where, when and how I'd caught every carp I'd had. Now I'd quite happily swap all the carp I've had in the past 5 years for a few hours trotting for chub and dace on a healthy river.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
In 1985 I caught my first 20lb carp (29-04) :D in Melches pond off Plodder lane opposite Townleys maternity hospital in Bolton. My wife who was in at the time had just given birth to our daughter Sarah the night before.

I was a wagon driver at the time and my boss gave me a few days grace. To maximise my free time I decided before visiting them to fish at Melches for a few hours.

At 4am in the morning I landed my first ever 20, but disaster loomed as I did not have a camera with me. The only course of action was to sack the carp and run over two fields and vault over numerous barbed wire fences. I hid the tackle and set off full speed to the Hospital, not easy with wellingtons.

Arriving at the maternity home I found a pay phone in a room full of fathers to be. I dialled my brother’s number who answered the phone, it was a bad crackerly line, and I pleaded with him to come down with his camera. Because of the excitement over the last two days my adrenalin was gushing and in front of the audience bellowed......

The look on the faces of the fathers to be was one of sheer horror, a look I will never forget. :eek::eek::eek:

When the shots were taken I went straight over to see Chris and told her the story, she was not impressed at all. :(

Women eh? :confused:

Bev says you spin a fine yarn ..... and just wait till she sees you and Chris when she's over next time ....

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
The sad thing Ed is that its perfectly true as Chris will confirm.......

but that was a long time ago........

Ah the good old days...

rickets, scabies, consumption, scurvy, worms, trench foot, grocers itch.:eek:

Last edited:

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score

Ah the good old days...

Can you remember the good old days properly - I'm not sure if I can ... although I know they happened !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

Ah the good old days...

Is that it, thats the good old days...

Now we have,

Murder, Rape, Shooting's, Kidnap, Murder, Spiders, Cakey, and did I say Murder also, thats our good old days now. Sorry forgot Wol.......:D