Paul Owens resigns

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I am in agreement with matt, there has to be some transparancy to this issue as it has the interests of many members and future members at heart.

I am not a member of the BS....I had every intention of joining the BS last year at the national conference....But spent the money on a Trefor West book. My total outlay on books being over 100 quid last time round (Don't tell the wife)

Even though I am not a member I do hold a very keen interest in its well being. I want to see it thrive and grow and personnally wish to see it as a future powerblock on the political side of angling interests.

As an outsider I have seen over the last few years a fair few BIG names walk away from the society....This cannot be acceptable as it is only with these names on board that the plebians such as myself will be attracted to the society like a moths to a flame.

I urge all parties involved to reasses their positions openly and without malice.

All the cards "sent-back" should be returned to their rightfull owners and an EGM called to address the potentially catastrophic issues which have obviously culminated in this schism....We do not need "two" weakened barbel societies we need one powerful society that evolves with the interests of the membership that it has to be said, the society belongs to.

Lee

Phillip Court 2

Reaction score
Well put Lee, but i don't think the Barbel Society Committee knows what an EGM is and they would never allow it to happen even if they did. Thanks Phillip

B

Bully

I am not a BS member.

I have to say that despite the fact many people have been happy with what they have done over the years I would never, ever join a club, organisation etc where I had to part with my money but could not vote on a chair and committee. It just doesn't make any sense.

I recall all the debates some time back when Mr Roberts was stirring the pot, and this point came up many times but was resolutely defended by the "but they do a great job".

Seems like this is coming back to bite a few in the bum??

I have neither time or inclination, but if someone has then I'd be tempted to look at the legal aspects of this. I would not be at all surprised to find that if you call yourself a club, society or association then you have to implement a proper code of "governance".

Otherwise you are not a member, you are a customer. And funnily enough I think you will find you have more rights as a member than a customer!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I would like to hear both sides of the story and have asked Steve Pope for his comments.

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
Dear Phillip Court 2.......

Are you a member of the BS?

If so, you can come with me to the next committee meeting on December 2nd 2006 and you can see for yourself how things are done....you can also opionate on the matters discussed.

I'll pick you up and drop you off......we'll have a chat and a meal during the day and hopefully you'll have a better understanding, or at least the truth, of how things work and also get to meet the guys who work within the framework of the BS committee.

It might not change your perception of how things are but at least you will have seen first hand what the situation is......and not what you either 'think' it is or are 'told' it is.

The offer is genuine and comes with in-car entertainment there and back.

Yours With Respect.....
Steve

Rob Egan

Reaction score
If anyone wants to know how the BS works ask the committee, they are the people who know, not the members, the members will be told in due course (maybe) if the committee thinks we need to know, they make the decisions, thats what they were elected for, sorry put there for.

Rob

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

TARGET MEN.
That was the title of the Paul Owens article in the 2005 October 4th issue of the Angling Times, written by Greg whitehead.
How apt that title now seems to be. Pauls last words in the article were to encourage people to join the Barbel Society.

Although I am not a member of the B.S. I never would be if these are the underhand antics of the said commitee which are in italics below.
This was Paul Owens reply to a BS member who said that Paul had actually resigned -:

Also just one other inaccuracy. I never actually formally tendered my resignation, I said that "if that were the case I would step down", to which I had an immediate reply accepting my resignation!!!!!! No comprimise no ways to look at working things out that were a problem for me at the time !!!!!!

Talk about riding roughshod over somebody? it is a damned disgrace.

My message to any BS members -:
Watch out the Clanton gang have just robbed the stage.

T

Tony Rocca

Bully,

"Seems like this is coming back to bite a few in the bum??".

Things change you know, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

phil lip

Reaction score
Question For Barbel Society Chairman- Steve Pope with the way this whole sorry affair has been handled isnt your position now untenable.Regards Phill

Phillip Court 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the invite Steve.
Many of my colleagues have been on the Barbel Society Committee and Regional Organisers before and legged it soon after, because of the one or two who dominant the table and who do not want change. So what will be different this time round? There needs to be change at the top end to breathe new life into the Society and not drag it out with the older stalwarts and has beens. Sorry but that is my view. Thanks again. Phillip

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've spoken to Steve Pope who assures me that once he has consulted with the full committee a statement will be issued to FM.

hugh middleton

Reaction score
Steve,you might extend that invitation to Andy Vaughn who was dismissed as a bailiff and because he has not recieved answers to his written questions has asked that the committee hear his case.

Ginger

Reaction score
Surely this is B.S. business and should be sorted out within the B.S. not on another forum?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
No, ginger this is angling business and is in the interest of many to have this sorted out.

Obviously any sensetive issues must be done discreetly and behind closed doors but there are issues here that need to be worked out for the good of all.

I for one do not wish to see the likes of Fred and Tony handing their cards in on points of principle when an open and frank chat can/will prevent this type of thing happening.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
AND I really do not want RO's the caliber of Paul walking away.

Who will carry on the good work?

Phillip Court 2

Reaction score
I am sure Steve Pope does not need time to consult the remaining committee as he is the Barbel Society in his own mind. All it is, is another delaying tactic he has used before until the questioning dies down. Perhaps he will answer my first important question on how to persue a vote of 'No Confidence' by the members to the committee. Thanks Phillip

Ginger

Reaction score
Lee, i`m not a B.S. member and don`t know the ins and outs of this current problem.
You suggest that an open and frank chat can / will prevent members handing in their cards.
As i understand (please correct me if i`m not )the B.S. forum is only accessible to B.S. members,if this is the case then surely this can be resolved by the members on their own forum.
I think Fred may have hit the nail on the head in one of his earlier posts "probably the majority of members,just couldn`t give a toss,all they want is their fishing."

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
Ginger the threads have all disappeared since the 16th. It is due to a technical fault or something.Many threads and posts have either disappeared or been pulled altogether. Some say it is a conspiracy, I do not know.

honslow

Reaction score
Ginger, I have to disagree.
A number of members have stated that the BS forum is being sensored without posters being consulted. Hardly open by the sounds of things. It actually sounds quite dictatorial, assuming they're not exaggerating. The revelation came as a surprise to myself and probably to other interested onlookers on the outside.
I think we should wait until the committee respond and then see whether the members feel their concerns are being addressed.

F

Fred Bonney

One of the main problems,is the lack of information coming out of the Committee, in general.
On a website that represents in excess half the membership,we are advised that no information will be given over the website, that is not produced for the entire membership first.(no point in a closed website)
We must wait for the quarterly newsheet,for old hat information, and probably, not the full story of what's been going on in the Committee.
Now we have Steve Pope, saying he will come on this website and give his response on the subject.
If he'd done that on the BS site,none of this may have happened.
We shall see!