Paul Owens resigns

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Philip wrote: "I am sure Steve Pope does not need time to consult the remaining committee as he is the Barbel Society in his own mind. All it is, is another delaying tactic he has used before until the questioning dies down."

I am not taking sides on this but let's have constructive criticism and fair play.

If Steve Pope had said to me, "I'm not going to consult the rest of the committee, and this is the statement from the Barbel Society....."

Would that have been OK then?

P

pons

Thats a fair comment Graham,and I am all for fair play.
Lets see what the responce is,though will we have to wait till the next committee meeting at Upton.
Hopefully not.
Pons.

Phillip Court 2

Reaction score
Yes Graham and apologies. You are correct, but he has been known to come on FM in the past in he's own ones self and let off steam, but only when it suits it seems. Apologies again. Thanks Phillip

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Steve (Richo) and All,

"In car entertainment?" Take me along Steve and I'll be the entertainment!!

Censorship? They never censored me and I banged on a bit on their forum when Lord Barbeldom asked for "opinions" on any way forward for the BS. Frankly though, I'm gob smacked by all this seemingly anti-BS administration stance that the previously BS loyalists are making. Not that long ago, there was little ol me having a pop at how the BS was being run. You know, lack of elections bleep blurb bangety bang. Odd that back then some of these now aggrieved BS capos swarmed all over me like a cheap suit for airing similar opinions that now they themselves seem to be adopting?

Barbeldom is like a swinging door, there's me in whilst you lot apparently.....ain't.

So what?s really going off lads eh? Has the time finally come to put Plan A into action? Barbeldoms maze will only keep the truth in for so long you know.

Mind you, I might be the only one left in the great halls of Barbeldom when everyone else has run off towards a place on those fisheries. Stood there amongst all those cardboard boxes trying on all those BS tee-shirts. Laugh? I might even buy the gamekeeper?s dog a beer tonight!

Anyone hear the drone of a Hercules in the air? Watch for those parachutes falling from the sky. Just hope the big one doesn?t land on a certain East Ender?s green house!!

So glad I?m normal. (Smiley face)

Regards,

Lee.

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
Dear Phillip??

Thanks for the polite reply??much appreciated.

I?m sorry that you feel that you have to decline my offer; it was made in good faith and with an open heart.

Excuse me for asking, but would you be able to name any of your colleagues who have held positions within the BS committee and also held Regional Organisers positions as well in the past??and could you also let me know if the ones who were on the committee were elected into office or not?.and if they weren?t, whether ?they? were bothered at the time that they weren?t. If you don?t fancy answering the questions then that?s fine with me and I?ll respect your decision to stay quiet.

The ?difference? would have been you being there and able to see how committee meetings are operated and how things are dealt with. That way, you could see how things actually ?are? dealt with and not how you have been ?told? they are held. You mention ?one or two who dominate the table???well, I can assure you of one thing Phillip, no one dominates me or anyone else at the meetings I attend.?maybe I go to the wrong meetings!!!!

Anyway, sincere thanks again for your polite reply to my offer??and not unreasonably, in sensible debate, I respect your views on this matter.

Yours With Respect.....
Steve.

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
Dear Hugh??

Thanks for your input into this thread. Regards Andy Vaughn, his situation was discussed heavily and given the information put forward by all who had dealings with Andy, me not being one of them I might add, it was decided, due to his actions, to dismiss him as a BS bailiff. The whole committee in attendance of the last meeting came to this decision in the best interests of the BS as a whole, Paul Owens included.

Yours With Respect.....
Steve.

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
Dear Baz (Angel of the North)??

Thanks for your post on this thread. I am the BS committee member who Paul addressed in the paragraph below. He was answering a post that I made on the BS site. Sometimes you have to sit back and wonder about what people write on web-sites?..myself included on a few occasions it must be said. I said a few things in that post which I have since apologised for. However, if Paul thinks the paragraph, quoted below by you, is true, then Paul is obviously not sure what he wrote in his ?initial? looped e-mail to the whole BS committee.

I obviously know what it says, word for word, as I have it on my BS data-base. I would expect that the other BS committee guys to also have it on their data-bases. For the record, for those who do not know, I was one of three committee guys who immediately, in written reply to Paul?s looped e-mail, tried to get Paul to reconsider his ?tendered resignation?. Others, I am led to believe, took the time to contact him personally with the same request. At that point I was in Paul?s corner fair and square. It?s true to say, that things that have been said by him since that date, have slowly moved me from that stance, with much regret.

Your quote Baz (Well Paul?s in reality but you put it up here for all to see) ?Also just one other inaccuracy. I never actually formally tendered my resignation, I said that "if that were the case I would step down", to which I had an immediate reply accepting my resignation!!!!!! No comprimise no ways to look at working things out that were a problem for me at the time !!!!!!?

There is one easy way to see who is in understanding of what Paul said and that is to read Paul?s initial ?looped e-mail? to the committee. Please do not expect me to publish Paul?s ?initial? mail content on here, as it?s a private correspondence between Paul and the BS committee??and I, for one, wouldn?t stoop that low to ?leak? those words on here or anywhere else. Well yes, I might consider it over on the BS forum because it is in the membership?s best interests to know what?s been said and what hasn?t, given the manner this has gone??but for now, that?s for Paul to consider doing, not me. I have no personal axe to grind with Paul at present and wish him all the best further down the line.

However, Paul is quite at liberty to put up his initial ?looped e-mail? to the committee on here to show you all that the paragraph quoted above is correct and that I was wrong to say he had resigned. If he is thinking of doing that to prove his point then I think he should take advice first, so that he fully understands what the term ?tendered? means. In light of the way this has all gone down, with the conspiracy theories, alleged lies and the twists and turns it has taken by the many who have posted thus far, maybe it?s time things were seen as they were written. That?s only one mans call though, not mine. Over to you Paul.

By the way, on his initial ?looped e-mail to the committee tendering his resignation? Paul didn?t get an immediate reply accepting his resignation??and there was compromise and ways looked at to working things out. Paul and the rest of you just need to remember that we are talking about Paul?s initial ?looped e-mail to the committee???nothing else.

You say ?Talk about riding roughshod over somebody? it is a damned disgrace.????I say, ?that?s quite possibly going to be the line a lot of us uses in the next few days, if the truth prevails. The ?somebody? may have to be exchanged for the word ?us all?.?

You say ?My message to any BS members -: Watch out the Clanton gang have just robbed the stage.???I say ?it might be that they only nicked the curtain, maybe now we can see the whole deal clearer soon?.

Yours With Respect.....
Steve

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
Dear Lee??.

You say "In car entertainment? Take me along Steve and I'll be the entertainment!!?

I?ll dance with you anytime Lee???how?s them Sutton by the sea side donkeys doing?

Me and Blackheart are looking forward to our date.

You say ?So glad I?m normal. (Smiley face)????I say ?save me a few of those pills, I?ll probably need some after all of this?.?

Yours With Respect...
Steve.

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
To those to whom I said I?d stop these internet posts??.I can only offer the words ?I was provoked???.and say sorry for fibbing. (smiley face)

Yours With Respect....
Steve.

hugh middleton

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Steve. Mind you I think even Saddam has the right to appeal - pity Andy doesn't.

E

EC

Never been away mate, just 'resting'.

Now please get out the way of the telly :)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What a sad state of affairs!
Why did you ALL let it go this far?

I speak as an outsider, potentially a new member, I too am gobsmacked!

Do you all have to post on FM due to censorship on the B.S forum? I am glad this has been brought to light, I feel deeply concerned for your society. It may be denied, but when "two or three at the table" get control, the minions fall into line.

Does majority rule? Are the members scared to be in the minority? Would the B.S hold or recognise an EGM?

Sort it out boys, or you ARE gonna split! I honestly hope you don't, but the way it looks from the outside aint good!

Good luck Paul and also the B.S.

Steve (DB).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I love catching barbel, considered joining the BS to catch up on the modern ways. Done a fair bit of administration in my time but find this whole matter very disturbing.

It may well be a whole lot of nothing, smokescreens and minor squabbles but it's bad for angling, bad for barbel fishers and a total waste of time.

I hope the society and its members work things out and the barbel world comes out of it stronger and fitter.

In the meantime I'll keep hold of my money and see what happens.

Damian Kimmins

Reaction score
It's specualtion at the moment that censorship has caused the disappearance of recent threads. The problem seems to be one of a technical nature.

P

pons

And you believe that Damiam !

I dont ,knowing the ability of Simon Asbury ,the webmaster.

There are some fantastic members in the society,and some very dedicated officials,who mean well.
But the facts remain that by the nature of the monies generated in subs,and fisheries fees,sponsorship,incentives,which all addds up to a tidy amount,they have to be shown to be more democratic and accountable.

Plainly as a society they are failing in that respect.

From a legal aspect,I have no idea,but there probably is expertise on here that would know,we do have the odd well known breif as contributors.

The membership and potential members deserve better,hence the interest in this issue.

This general issue is not new,and it's not a day for getting rid of bad news.

As Big John mentions on BFW,the Carp Society had to learn some pretty important lessons before it re emerged stronger and better,the BS should take heed.

Pons.

phil lip

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting, as your are a committee member will you be raising the way your Chairman has handled this whole sorry affair.
Also do you think it is time for the BS to move forward with a new captain and officers at the helm ( elected by the membership), after all the present ones seems to have taken the BS as far as they can. phil

Steve Richardson

Reaction score
Dear Phil......

Thanks for your polite reply and questions.

I am happy to answer questions 'when' I know who I am talking to.....can you fill in your profile?

Yours With Respect...
Steve