RICHARD WALKER AVON MK IV

B

BARRIEC CHRISTIAN

I have the above rod sat in my cupboard in perfect condition but know nothing about it. Can anyone help me with its history or rough value. It is approx 11ft and is finished in red whipping with brass ferrules.

R

Ron Clay

Does it tell you the maker?

If it is by B James and in very good condition with it's original bag it could be worth a pretty penny. The rod is the lighter version of the MK IV carp rod designed by **** Walker ca 1951. I don't know how old you are Barriec, but you have a piece of angling history. I used this rod from 1959 to about 1966. At that time I changed to glass.

Still they were lovely old rods. Please do not fish with it. Such a rod should be displayed on your wall.

J

John Howard

The original rods where hand made by the man himself. 10ft 2 peice. Avon had a 1lb test curve and the carp rod stepped up to 11/2lbTC. Several firms made this rod commercialy.

B

BARRIEC CHRISTIAN

Yes the maker is written just above the butt, James and son. I wont be fishing with it, far to pritine to risk getting dirty and scratched. I am in my younger thirties so I have only used Glass and carbon till now.

R

Ron Clay

Do not try to restore it or have new rings fitted. You will reduce its value considerably.

Treasure it Barriec.

B

BARRIEC CHRISTIAN

Its in original condition as far as I know, If I take some photos and mail them would you be able to tell me.

R

Richard Drayson

There is a very imformative video available which explains the story of the light carp rod - better known as the MK IV Avon.
It costs around ?17 and is available from Traditional Angling Products or S-K Productions in Newport Pagnell. The footage shows visits to B. James of Ealing and J. B. Walker of Hythe. There also includes visits to master cane splitters John Weaver & Son (Sharpe`s) and Shaun Linsley.
Highly recommended to those traditionalists amongst us.

D

Dave O'L

Just out of interest anyone know the street where B. James of Ealing was?

D

Dave O'L

Thanks Richard. It may have been my 'local shop' that closed down a couple of years ago, under a different name. I'll check that out tomorrow. If it was it shows that some of these local shops have history even if under another name.

R

Richard Drayson

Dave, Ealing Angling Centre used to be at that address.

D

Dave O'L

Yeah that was it. If people remember the thread about, 'should I buy from my local shop', it was the one that became a card school. Sad end.

R

Rob Brownfield

Its amazing how many people bang on about Mk IV's being the greatest split cane rod, but ask any good rod builder and they will tell u they are not that great. I guess its the history behind that rod that keeps its value high..its certainly not the craftmanship...as thats pretty meniocre.

I have a fantastic Sharpes "The Carp" impregnated cane rod, original, not one of the modern copies...and next to a Richard Walker its heads and shoulders above it. :O)

K

Keith Manger

I have a B. James MkIV rod; however I used it quite a lot for barbel fishing back in the early seventees and having been on my dampish shed wall (inside of course) since then it is not in pristine condition. The varnish is blistered and the Richard Walker MkIV label is half missing.
Is it worth me getting it restored? and If so where can I get it done? and approximateley how much would it cost?.

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Keith. You ask "Is it worth me getting it restored? and If so where can I get it done? and approximateley how much would it cost?.
How long is a piece of string Keith?
My advice would be to contact a reputable rod maker and take it from there. Some names and numbers follow:-
Edward Barder 01635 552916
Oliver`s 07071 225275
Agutters 01233 626748
Watson`s 01590 645017
Shaun Linsley does restoration work as well but I don`t have his phone number.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
''Still they were lovely old rods. Please do not fish with it. Such a rod should be displayed on your wall.''

Ron - can I suggest you take the perjorative 'were' out of that sentence? They still are lovely old rods! I use mine all the time. And, before anyone accuses me of being a traditionalist, can I point out that I started fishing at the age of ten in the early 1980's, using fibreglass rods. I graduated to carbon when I could afford them, then went back to glass after I found carbon rods not only broke very easily, but felt wrong as well - flimsy and lifeless (subjective statement I know, but that's my opinion). Then, about fifteen years ago, I discovered split cane. Nowadays I use glass and cane rods more or less equally, but my favourite is still the old cane Avon. So much then for my preferences. Now we come to the nub of the matter.

To suggest that such a rod should not be used seems a trifle dismissive; it makes me wonder what reasons you could have for making that statement. I can think of - and answer - two. Firstly, that the rod may be considered as a valuable piece of angling history; secondly, because a ten foot length of split cane is an outdated and inadequate tool for 21st Century angling.

I'll answer the latter first; no it jolly well isn't! Fishing is essentially the same now as it was all those years ago. Only we anglers have changed, in our attitudes and approach to the sport. A chub in a river today behaves in much the same way as it did in Walker's time, or Waltons come to that.

Now, I do not wish to imply that these old cane rods are better than their modern counterparts; far from it. There are many excellent rods available today which, relatively speaking, are cheaper and more functional than ever before. What I do say is this: you can catch that chub with a fifty year old MkIV Avon just as well.

Of course, if the rod in question is in poor condition - damaged in some way, or the rings are corroded and falling off - then it will probably not function terribly well, but you can say the same about any rod. Age alone does not imply decrepitude.

The other reason - that of historical (and possibly monetary) value - can be discounted by considering the number of MkIV's and Avons made; if the rod in question were a Walker-built example that's fair enough. If it was one of the earliest B James models which Walker signed himself (as opposed to the transfer signature), then yes. Either way, put it in a glass case. Better still, give it to the ACA or some other angling body, perhaps to form part of a future exhibition of angling history. But if, as I suspect, it is a standard production model, then it is merely one of a considerable number of such rods. They cannot all become museum pieces.

These rods were originally built with one purpose in mind; to catch fish. Let them continue to do so, until they cease to be of any use at all. If the rings are rusty - replace them. If the whippings are frayed - replace them. If the ferrule is loose - replace it. There's no true value in tatty originality.

T

Tony Rocca

Very well said Fred, use it Barriec, the production ones are not worth that much anyway, ?300 max if mint and unused, more usually ?150 to ?200. I recently gave one of mine to a friend. They are not hard to come by.
I have caught lots of barbel on them over the years, lovely rod to use.

D

Dave O'L

I have been awakened from suspended animation - have we arrived yet?
Cor blimey chaps carrying on a 4 1/2 year old converstaion as if you've just popped out to the loo.
Is this some kind of record?