Safety lead Clips

M

Mike Lee

I refer to Cakey's post where he highlights the comments of Graham and Gary.

I don't mind being shot down in flames - but only when I'm wrong eh?

M

Mike Lee

I understood that the main direction of this thread is the labelling of carp orientated products should make it clear they are designed to be used for carp only.

Yep, got that.

and?

C

Cakey

Maybe Ive got it wrong but I thought that the beads were being used for species other than carp when Gary and Graham explained to me that that is not the case,what Gary is worried about is a fish apart from a carp picking up my carp bait and rig,snagging the lead and not being strong enough to discharge the lead from the safety clip.

M

Mike Lee

How many times has anyone been snagged up by a fish other than carp when fishing for carp?

R

Rodney Wrestt

You don't need to be snagged up by the fish, the fish can pick up a bait on an already broken off or snagged rig from a dodgy cast or after another fish gets rid of it.

R

Rodney Wrestt

or doesn't it matter if the fish is tethered as long as it doesn't happen whilst atteached to your rod....."it wasn't me" syndrome?

D

Dave Rothery

do you think we're making a mountain out of a molehill? where does it stop - a 4oz perch could pick a snapped rig meant for bream and snag itself

R

Roto Fryer

i stoped using them because i run out!
i prefer a running lead nowdays

R

Roto Fryer

i suppose i ought to read more than the first page of a thread lol

R

Rodney Wrestt

Free running rigs are the safest option but semi fixed are more commonly used and prefered by the majority of anglers, I think if you check the rig is ineed 'semi' fixed and the pressure needed to free the set up is minimal then it's going to be as good as it can be expected.

As I said earlier it's more a case of when the rig is lost that it can become dangerous, small fish are unlightly to cause a break but a small fish taking the rig into a snag has as much chance as a large fish of causing a breakage. If the rig can seperate under light pressure then fine, the answer is to check and double check the ease with which a rigs componants can be dissassembled with gradual forward motion.

M

Mike Lee

I'm fed up with this - I've already said that the water I'm fishing lends itself to baitboats and therefore no casting or crackoffs.

And I'm the one being advised to carefully read throught the thread and it will be explained if I'm too dim to understand it!

Pah!

B

Budgie Burgess

It seems that yours and my comprehension of this thread varies from others Mike!But which ever way we read it it apears(?) that most agree that a lot of so called"saftey rigs" are anything but!If this has got people questioning the rigs they use and not just following like sheep then it has been worth while.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Thread intention: To air views on a rig that is not up for the job.

Thread Intention: To instigate discussion on varying options.

Thread Intention: To debate and home in on a wealth of experience.

Mission accomplished........It works, might come back and visit again now!

C

Cakey

"Thread intention: To air views on a rig that is not up for the job."
hope you dont with that guilty before being charged attitude mr dennis