The difference bewteen a good and a bad angler

B

Bill Cox

Theres Chubb in my clubs stillwaters frothy.I,ll sign you up if you like? Good thread this ,myself i think its all about pressure change less about weather in general.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Bill, yes mate, same as.

BUT, weather, in general.........

It still dont stop me going out, as i know it does some.

Caught some big Barbel when 'some' said "dont even bother, waste of time"

Bet way to look at it........

If you aint out on the bank and havin a dabble you gonna catch f*** all sitting at home.

J

jason fisher

got to agree with wols last line but it's what to go for in the conditions that you're stuck with.
it's took me 6 years and i think i've finally worked out the thames perch with regard to conditions when they will feed and when not.
and which areas they head for in each set of conditions.
an now i've gone an got a job in manchester got the letter offerin it to me depending on results of medical today so that's 6 years research up the spout time to start again.

T

Terry Comerford

Just a thought, if moon phases and barometric pressure affect bodies of water.
How can this be used to determine all fishing prospects when various venues could be at differing heights above sea level?
And therefore affected by different intensities of pressure.

W

Wolfman Woody

Good point Terry, but presumably there are some similarities in rises and falls at whatever heights.

However, anyone remember old ABU catalogues always used to carry a calendar for the coming year on when were the best times for fishing? I followed it for sea fishing and it coincided with the spring and neap tides and also phases of the moon. Wind directions and barometric pressures are of course dependant on the weather at the time.

T

Terry Comerford

I have read recently that gravitational changes during different phases of the moon cause tiny, electro magnetic, thermal currents, to rise from the earths crust even under water.
Could fish detect these vertical, rising, warmer 'columns' and if they do, be more readily caught above them?
This seems to be a contradiction to our often quoted theory of horizontally positioned thermocline layers?
It would however add to the moon phase theory of connections to angling prospects.
Its possible then a Smartcast type detector could be designed to find these 'hot spots'.
Or could a rig which emits some kind of 'pulse' imitate these natural emissions?

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Yup, my ears have suffered when a plane drops or rises, but that is completely different to the effect of change in pressure WITHIN WATER. Millibar changes in air do not have any where near the same effect on water. Think about it, you try compressing water........its not easy. So any change in air pressure will have a minimal effect WITHIN water. Well, thats my theory.

I may go for changes in weather, as a result of weather change (and of course resulant changes in pressure) but not pressure in its own right.

One millibar of pressure change will have absolutely minimal impact under a few feet of water....in fact I would bet one inch of water.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

So would you say as a rule we should follow the changes in temperature or follow the changes in pressure?

Jason - Congrats mate, good luck on the new venture!

Bill - if you want to borrow a couple of rods for France let me know, I was serious.

F

Frothey

stu b

so why do fish often sit mid/high in the water during high pressure?

stu d

both!

F

Frothey

ok. maybe....

whilst liquids are hard/impossible to compress, lake water isnt pure liquid - loads of dissolved gasses in it, the fish have dissolved gasses in them, those gasses will be affected by atmospheric pressure. ever been boat fishing and brought a fish up from 50ft? eyes start bulging as do swim bladders. so they are being affected by the pressure even before they reach the surface.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

My eyes are always bulging on boats mate!

Thats an interesting one based on the depths of a lake, at what depth does pressure from 'bottom to top' start affecting the fish itself?

But then again, the pressure may not have affected the fish as it was feeding, wouldn't it be the pressure affecting the fish on the way up?

F

Frothey

absolutely....the pressure/conditions were comfortable where it was feeding, but what if the pressure/conditions comfortable 2ft from the surface in 18ft of water? not a lot of point having a bottom bait on is there?

ever wondered why lakes suddenly start bubbling when the air pressure drops? cant all be feeding fish can it?

B

Bill Cox

Agree with you Warren ,if the only day i can fish is crap weather i still go regardless.Jason also has a point about trying to suit weather to species.
Stuart it never ceases to surprise me how friendly and genuine some of you guys are on here.Thanks for the offer but I am going to be a bit selfish for a change and spend some of my redunduncy money on some new tackle.I,m taking the kids to Spain in a couple of weeks and i hope to sneak off on a charter boat at least once during the trip,weather, barometric pressure and lunar phases permitting, Lol ,Then the last week in May my own trip to france,i can,t wait.

C

Carp Angler

I fished yesterday for roach.
The lunar phase was grim, according to the moon loon.
The pressure was high.
The sky was blue, the sun was out and there was a very heavy overnight frost.
The wind was cold and from the NE.
The most useless and dificult winter fishing conditions.

Did I still go?
Of course I bloody did.
Did I catch any roach?
No, of course I bloody didn't.

But I did catch 4 tench ! ! ! ! !

W

Wolfman Woody

Rik, you proved one golden rule - there are no golden rules.

I don't really want to get embroiled in a heavy debate as to how and why air pressure would affect fish. I do agree with Frothey because any white fish (cod etc.) brought up from 150 feet will most likely die anyway.

However, let me throw in another angle to the same argument, noise. My pond is 4 feet deep and stocked with koi and others. Someone slams a door 150 yards away on the main road and the fish dive down.

We know fish don't have ears and so can't hear in the normal way, but hearing is just minutes changes in air pressure, isn't that how sounds waves work? What my fish feel, I reckon, is a minor change in air pressure on the water's surface.

Aren't there any real scientists on the site that can answer this one, P L E A S E ?