The difference bewteen a good and a bad angler

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Oi Cheeky, superb observation matey! Like the thought process.....

W

Wolfman Woody

I like topics like this that get me brain working, although I try not to think too human.

I feel it just keeps the senile dementia at bay.

A

andrew jackson

Bit of confusion going on here. The reason fish explode as they are draged up from the depths is because of the effects of water pressure. Oxygen expands at a rapid rate when relesed from the effects of water pressure. Its like divers getting the benzs?(spelling I have had a few). Frothery is correct water is virtually uncompressable but anything within it is subject to these forces. Air pressure may not actulay physicaly compress the water but without a doubt it has an effect on anything within. Enough I am too pi**** to be so serious LOL. :eek:)

J

jason fisher

stu cheers

rick you're not allowed to catch tench in conditions like that it's against all the rules.

just because a body of water isn't particularly compressible doesn't mean that pressure changes above it don't change the pressure in it.
the air pressure is the force applied per unit surface area this force is applied all over the surface of the water.

if you apply any force to an object, one of 2 things happen
either the object pushes back with an equal and opposite force or it moves in the direction of the force.

if the liquid is incompressible then the only way this force can be countered is the pressure or the temperature change.

if you don't believe me then read some very basic physics texts.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well corrected Andrew. I was just pointing out that their swim bladders expand, indication the different pressures at different depths, but perhaps it has now to do with whether air pressure affects fish.

Thinking on my point of noise a bit more, might it be the case that water surface tension is like the skin of a drum and that when hit with sound it creates an amplification beneath it. Also sound (as a shock wave) travels a hell of a lot quicker in water than it does in the air.

So perhaps it's a different gorilla altogether - or should I go and have a sleep now. My head hurts.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Look, the original question was whether actual air pressure made any difference to fish feeding.

My point is that it has nothing to do with changes in pressure per se, but the fact that pressure change results in change of weather (ie temperature ir wind direction, which I reckon is far more important).

Jason, sorry, but a basic understanding of physics will tell you that if some thing is incompressable then the pressure will absolutely not change!

Sorry, but I just cannot agree that any changes in air pressure have ANY impact on pressure within water. Its just the resultant change in weather.

J

jason fisher

stu well i might have been wrong in my understanding of pressure when i did my degree in physics but there you go you live and learn

J

jason fisher

now stu
if you increase the force applied to the surface of the water it has to be transmitted through that medium,
it cannot just disappear into nowhere believe me even with my basic understanding of force and it's aplication,this will lead to an increase in pressure through the whole body of liquid.

A

andrew jackson

Stu place a house brick on top of another and try to compress the bricks by hitting them with a chunk of 3/2. They wont compress will they? Now conduct the same experiment with your hand between the bricks.
I look forward to reading your one handed typed conclusion to this experiment LOL :eek:)

S

Stuart Dennis 2

In fact the actual topic to this thread was: "In my opinion the difference between a good angler and a bad angler in most cases is the weather! What are your thoughts on this?"

I do not have a degree in 'physics' however I have witnessed a sudden change in feeding habbits brought on by a change in weather and this may not be down to pressure alone. Conditions, temperatures, light, cloud cover the lot.....

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Well, I am happy to be proved wrong, but changes in millibars within air pressure are going to have a minimal effect on internal water pressure. Plus I think the effect is to actually change the body of waters size, and will not actually increase pressure within.

F

Frothey

"Plus I think the effect is to actually change the body of waters size, and will not actually increase pressure within."

what do you think pressure is then? expand it less pressure within. compress it, greater pressure.

its not necessarily the H2O that increases in pressure, its the gas within the H2O/fish

W

Wolfman Woody

Stu certainly has something with the light levels. How many times do tench go off when really bright sunlight comes out? On our Thames, which is very clear, you'll struggle at most times through the day for bream and barbel, but as sun as the old 'currant bun' drops.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry "but as sun as the old 'currant bun' drops....."

should read "but as soon as the old 'currant bun' drops....."

I've got sun on my mind - need some!!!!

F

Frothey

sudden drops in pressure are normally assosciated with warm, strong s/w winds, cloud and rain, so a sudden drop in pressure gives (arguably) better conditions.

D

Deecy

A good angler catches despite the weather a bad angler blames the weather.

J

jason fisher

stu B incompressible means that it cannot be compressed i.e. change size and compared with gas this is certainly the case.
if you cahange the pressure of the air above the water by one milibar it changes the pressure of the water at any depth by one milibar.

stu d
sorry for hijacking the thread and i agree it probably isn't just down to pressure in my opinion light levels have a lot to do with it as does the angle that the light is coming from and the time of year.
bright sun in winter is a lot less intense in it's energy supply than that in summer it penetrates to a lesser degree because it is coming in at a lower angle and it doesn't warm the water so much.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I must confess Jason I am absolutely devastated you have hijacked my thread, I mean lets face it, I've never done it to anyone else!

It’s all about debate, if the subject moves, and passion follows, then go with the flow!

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Right - as I say I am happy to be proved wrong. My only "claim to fame" is that I did study Climate, Meteorology and Hydrology at Uni, but I have to confess that the old brain cells are struggling to remember the basics.

However, I have kept in touch with a couple of old friends, one of which is now a worlds expert on global warming. He will be able to give me chapter and verse on the subject.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I absolutely love the start of your posts Stu-pot!

"Right"
"Well"
"Look"

Stu-pot, me and Rik are gonna do a few night sessions over your way at Beaver Farm Fishery (as Im moving to East Grinstead way), you up for that matey?