The difference bewteen a good and a bad angler

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Now see hear -

Re Beaver Farm, my first comment is not to do what I did when I looked it up on the website under a search "Beaver Farm", with my son looking over my shoulder (I was taking him with me). Needless to say you can imagine the sorts of site that came up!

Have you fished there before? Its just that I would not have thought it the place you and Rik would normally target. Its a collection of really small lakes and ponds and can get pretty crowded. When I fished there (cannot remember which pond) I caught a few fish, including two barbel!!

There were numerous lakes there which I didn't look at, and I just went along with the flow (a few mates), so maybe I didn't get the whole picture.

I don't want to put you off, but thought it should be mentioned in dispatches! Having said that, I'd still meet you down there, its only 40 mins away and it beats watching crap TV.

F

Frothey

fished it a couple of times when i lived in redhill. take your long range rods, its a good 40yds across, easily 20 to the islands. if you get on the swims between the islands, only fish one rod, as you wont have time to get the other one out!

you could go to wintons!!

dont forget theres ******* near redhill if you want to get into a decent waiting list!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Perhaps Dennise has got all exited that there perhaps maybe the odd Beaver to spot, but then again i dont think they been in the UK for around 400 years!!!!

Apart from the Severn ;o)

I would advise that maybe its not a good place as it is 'snag fishing' i.e. those treetops on the islands can be a nightmare.

S

Stuart Bullard 3

40 yards......if you are lucky. They mostly seemed smaller than that to me.

Stu - have you actually been there? Sorry to put a damper on it.

F

Frothey

i was gonna put 20yds, but wasn't sure if my memory was playing tricks! dont use leadcore, as it will still be in the tip ring....

C

Carp Angler

according to the site it's 2 n half acres (Snipe) with carp to mid 30's, it looks a good stalking water and being very close to Stu's work, it looked ideal.

Why is small bad?
I can understand if it's just a hole in the ground, but.......

My local isn't even 3 acres and has carp to 46.
Does that make it bad?
Terry Hearn didn't think so.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

ok, ok, we were looking for a venue right next to my work so we can get a few short overnighters up for when Rik came up, any suggestions?

PS - WOL;

(1) Beavers - Yep, (a-hole) BUT LOVE IT!
(2) Those ditches in the farmers field can be a nightmare!

J

Jack the Lad

I thought this was about weather.

Why do people think that fish bite more in the rain?

F

Frothey

it was a while ago, but i'd be suprised if it was 2 acres and with two big islands as well, even less water.

small aint bad (ashlea anyone!) but when you turn up somewhere that reports as say 8 acres, theres 15 cars in the carpark and you find its closer to 4, not impressive! at least (from memory) snipe didnt have too many swims, and the islands stop people casting over you...

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Rik, Stu D - believe me, you would hate it. Hopefully you two know me well enough to know the difference between what you are after and my limited experiences.

So let me be blunt, I can only equate fishing at Beaver Farm to the film "Deliverance".

So here are my snippets -

A whole "pond" being fished from all angles with rods set in beach casting set ups, such that they "floated" bread crust on the surface right in the middle of the pond.

One guy, so pissed he could hardly stand up, trying to fish off the surface in the margins when his head was probably over the bait.

Night time was like a disco.

Sorry, I was trying to be poilte earlier, but i hated every minute being there.

C

Carp Angler

Thanks for the advice Stu.
Any other suggestions, or places to steer clear of, around that way?

F

Frothey

what about tilgate 'round crawley way?

avoid the redhill common lakes unless you've got a group of you going....heavily armed....with some big friends...

wintons!

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Well I can also advise you to steer clear of Frant.

I fish club waters really because all the "day ticket" waters tend to be much the same as Beaver Farm.......well, around this way. I'll ask a mate and let you know.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Nice one Stu, theres gonna be a few mid-week quick nighters coming up and u know the area better than us wth regard to venues etc.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Oi Frothey, 2 acres is like an inland sea compared to that back garden posd you took us lot to! ('Mr Big Fishery Fisher')

Wahaaa!

F

Frothey

yeah, less chane of you putting it in the tree then

Wahaaa!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Or you laying on the floor, missing yet another run on the back of yet another poorly tied rig I suppose, yeah!

Wahaaa!