When is a Fish-In....

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I'd like to give you an example:

"Ok chaps, for the second year running I've been nominated to organise the above event. The match is in honour of a contributor to Fishing magic (just like you and me) who sadly passed away the other year, and is open to all of us Fishing Magic members who would like to meet up, fish a match and have a natter with others in the pub afterwards."

Written by a Mike Fiddler, who was organising the second do at Clattercote. Notice the wording? "All fishing magic members"? That to me is what fish-ins should all be about - meeting up with members! Not mates of mates.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Of course I would go Malc, provided it wasn't more than 50 miles away and I could spend the night.

captain carrott

Reaction score
There's still nowt stopping some ones mate logging on becoming a member and then only going to a fish in, or that match, or the press manor match.

they would still be a member of the site.

L

Les Clark

Malc that is just words ,it covers a wide church ,it dosn`t say "FM members only " ,since i have been a member (about 4 years ) all of the FM fish in`s have welcomed mates of members and in a few cases have more than welcomed them to make the numbers up.
I would not like to see the fish ins become a "closed shop" ,they are in the main a social event ,some to raise money for charity and have a good laugh and never any trouble .

L

Les Clark

!ve just seen Richards thread which means i have been a member of FM for nearly 5 years!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Raising money for a good cause is a different matter Les.

Well, I tried skating the issue at first when I started the thread. Perhaps I should stated what I meant right from the off as its ended up that way.

How many have been put off attending Les because mates, and mates of mates have been allowed to attend? Perhaps none! Perhaps its only me? Fine! But just perhaps, thats why the numbers have had to be made up? Perhaps no one will admit to it - thats fine also, but when someone post that they propose a fish-in, my ears prick up, and then for me it is spoiled when immediately I see written such as 'put me down for two' or 'I'll come and I'll bring my mate, and he'll bring his'. It does my head in - it spoils it totally for me.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Of course they are not closed shops Malc.

Anyone who is a caring angling, loves a bit of fun and can either pass on knowledge, or is prepared to learn, is welcome.

And yes, they sometimes must be prepared to laugh at themselves.

L

Les Clark

It wouldn`t bother me Malc ,providing there were more FM members than mates .

The numbers were made up becouse they were short of FM members not becouse there were mates of mates allready down ,that sounds a bit irish Malc .

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Nobody seems to be taking the point that some may be put off by this?

You as individuals may feel its fine. I don't. How many others feel the same but are perhaps afraid to say? Who knows.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
"not becouse there were mates of mates allready down ,that sounds a bit irish Malc ."

Not necessarily Les, have a look through mate, every fish-in that been advertised lately, within the first few posts on most occasions this has happened.

L

Les Clark

We are all individuals Malc and it seems that you are the only one at the moment who has the hump over this ,if there are more members concerned about this " issue " then let hear from them .

captain carrott

Reaction score
you do seem to be the only person posting who has a problem with other peoples friends coming to fish ins malc.

to my mind, if some one is a complete idiot and they are going on the fish in then their friends are likely to be the same. but who on this site is that sort of person, i certainly can't think of anyone.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
If I'm the only one bothered by it, fine, I can handle that, I'm certainly not going to spit my dummy over it!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

CC.
You and Les seem to forget that I have also agreed with Malcs view from the start. Or has Les put me outside of his little clique of friends? so my views don't count either.

L

Les Clark

We seem to be able to blow out the odd idiot we get on here from time to time and if they turned up at a fish in i think that they would be sorted out ,in a polite sort of way ,mind you we couldn`t put up with a lot of Deanos`s mates for long , we would starve to death !

captain carrott

Reaction score
I also don't think you personally should stop going and missing out on the benefits and the craic just because some people who you don't know is going.

unless you have a specific person in mind that you have already met and don't want to meet again.

L

Les Clark

Hello Baz ,have you got the hump cos we forgot you ,you don`t count Baz ,your so far around the bend that your heads up your own arse :):):)