winter holding areas

I

ian jay

Further ...

Look up 'entropy' and 'latent heat'. When you understand these terms, we can, if required, discuss this further.

;-)

D

Dave Rothery

Steam isn't "less dense" water it is effectively "gaseous" water. Ice is "solidified" water. you have to compare these things at a given temperature and pressure. if we are going to pretend "air" is pure oxygen for the benefit of this, it is only a gas because of the temperature and pressure are correct on earth. Lower the temperature far enough it becomes liquid, then solid. this is why water on the top of everest would boil at a lower temperature - theres less atmospheric pressure, so the water molecules can "escape" easier

D

Dave Rothery

What? Must always go with prawns and thousand island dressing in a sandwhich?

T

The Monk

Avogadro law, entrophy, sounds a bit like this thread and my tackle box (certainly entrophotic), good stuff though, I'm keeping out of this one, but what about the cryospheric accumulation and ablation?!

D

Dave Rothery

I went to a convent school and was constantly being reminded that ablation made you blind!

A

andrew jackson

So Ian I take it you are now going to try and explain Ice And steam, and how they are the same density and viscosity, without being personal of course.

I

ian jay

Andrew

I'm afraid that it would not help you catch any more carp, because they do not thrive in such states.

Besides, private tuition is ?25/hour

:)

A

andrew jackson

Thanks Ian quick quote from your recomended site "as ice freezes it expands in volume, becoming less dense" nuff said.

I

Ian Grant

Oooh my gawd!! - can i ask an unrelated question? What does LOL , and :.O mean on the end of some peoples postings, and Ian what does BTW stand for?

I

ian jay

Ian

LOL lots of laughs
;-) or :) wink or smile
BTW By the way

Andrew

No problem, notice it did not say ..

as water freezes it expands in volume, becoming less dense

I rest my case!

I

Ian Grant

Thanks for that Ian, i've been puzzling over
those for ages!

D

Dave Rothery

I think the difference is that there has to be a change of state(ie water to ice) before there is a change of density. Do you think anyones still reading this thread??

T

The Monk

Yes Dave, nowt wrong with a bit of Glacial and fluvial geomorphology, riveting stuff what?