winter holding areas

I

ian jay

Let's look at Andrew's original naive premise:

"If we add to that the fact that cold water is far more dence and less viscous to start with, this could indeed be a major factor. It would suggest that the fish would be reluctant to burn energy by moving about."

Does any read anything about ice os steam? Does anyone believe (other than Andrew) that at the level we fish at - that the water gets denser and increases in viscosity when it is cold? Of course not!

In my opinion, it is a ill thought out notion, and when challenged he employs obtuse tactics to divert attention from his ignorance.

Now, lets get back to reality ;-)

T

The Monk

Come on Andrew, your turn mate (dont you just love a good debate)????

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Judge me as you will but I think this is barking up the wrong tree abit.
A previous statement about fish wanting to use less energy in cold weather seams to be hitting the nail on the head.
In cold weather an animals natural 'fuel' is spent keeping its body at a constant temperature, therefore I think being in the right place at the right time may be the most valid catching point.
Do bream follow the same circuit in a lake as in summer but a hell of a lot slower?
Maybe types of groundbait which (the scent will) diffuse through colder water further or faster and/or further might be worth a Masterdebating over(?)

I

ian jay

Tim

I don't think anyone is arguing that, in the winter, Carp are torpid creatures.

Not so much that they 'want' to use less energy (they don't have a choice), but being cold blooded, their metabolism is controlled by their environmental temperature.

Low temperature (water) = low metabolism = sluggish behaviour = low calorific input requirement.

I hope this makes sense?

A

andrew jackson

Ian temperature effects the viscosity of water that is a fact not a naive premise. I have used the example of Ice and Steam as an example to try and offer up some sort of evidence. I could trawl through the internet or notes I have, to find and quote the specific details, but I cant at this point in time be bothered, as I stated in my early post, the gist of it is down to hydrogen bonding. You accuse me of being ignorant and naive, and then suggest that water cant change viscosity, yet steam and ice are both forms of water. You quite clearly dont know what viscosity is. Please dont hold back Ian, I can cut it with the best of them, although I dont tend to be as rude as you, particulary on this site.
You also accuse me of employing obtuse tactics to divert attention from my ignorance, and at the same time dodge any questions I put forward, that may show what I am arguing in a good light. Please continue to be so rude, abusive and superior, because I know I am batting from a position of strength, as I know for a fact I correct. You keep digging mate, when the hole is big enough I will be happy to fill it in.

I

ian jay

'Wehreof one cannot speak, thereof one should remain silent."
L Wittgenstein
Philosophical Investigations

T

The Monk

Wherein rests the case for winter holding areas, some good stuff though although I'll remain philosopical on this one, now,t like a bit of straight talking though to increase the viscosity, and so endeth the masterdebate you interlecturals you!,

Was Wittegenstien a masterdebaters Ian ha ha?

D

Dave Rothery

Obviously read too much shakespeare. "whereof, thereof" whats that all about? (I'm an illiterate sufana)

T

The Monk

I think if we all applied Wittegenstiens philosophies all the threads would be blank?

I

ian jay

Wittgenstein was homosexual, wherof or thereof he pulled his pud - I don't know.

I don't think he was interested in Angling, but had a perchant for cowboy films. So, maybe he had some of Yan Porter's videos?

;-)