Bias against match anglers

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Where did I insult you? I come on to this forum to talk about fishing, to learn about fishing and if I can help people (educate) to catch them more fish that gives me even more pleasure than catching myself.

I have seen WUM on other sites and I don't see the point. If you want to learn then post, if you don't go and look at another thread.

Cheers
Mark

Don’t be so wishy washy, people disagree or augue sometimes, what, that’s not allowed now either?

And im not WUM'ing anyone Mark, Maybe RUB'ing a few up the wrong way, but that wasnt my intial wish.

mcdejer16

Reaction score
Don’t be so wishy washy, people disagree or augue sometimes, what, that’s not allowed now either?

And im not WUM'ing anyone Mark, Maybe RUB'ing a few up the wrong way, but that wasnt my intial wish.

Disagreeing is fine as long as you listen to others but you haven't. I have won matches using a waggler, stick and the feeder but I want to get perfect bait presentation I would always use a pole. What you don't seem to get is pole elastic is a shock absorber not to drag a fish in, it is the same as backwinding. In fact using elastic is better than using a drag on a reel in my opinion.

Like I posted in my first post, one day have a wander along your local cut and ask a local matchmen why he is using a pole and what the benefits are compared to using traditional rod and line. I bet you would get the same answer from them!

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Disagreeing is fine as long as you listen to others but you haven't. I have won matches using a waggler, stick and the feeder but I want to get perfect bait presentation I would always use a pole. What you don't seem to get is pole elastic is a shock absorber not to drag a fish in, it is the same as backwinding. In fact using elastic is better than using a drag on a reel in my opinion.

Like I posted in my first post, one day have a wander along your local cut and ask a local matchmen why he is using a pole and what the benefits are compared to using traditional rod and line. I bet you would get the same answer from them!

Let’s face it, fish we catch very rarely take line, but when they do I wouldn’t want some elastic between me and fish, that’s all, nothing more.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I would like someone to teach how to use a pole and what tackle i need (not end tackle).

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
It became peronal "me and you" when you attacked me Graham.

Homogenized and bizarre!! What carp angler worth his salt would use one of these 3m Middy Shock Stick - NEW - The Ultimate!!!! An elasticated carp rod?

---------- Post added at 04:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

I never proclaimed to be important, did I, just had an opinion.
R.M.
The shock stick is merely a tool, the elastic is the shock absorber, everything is balanced as it it with all pole fishing, you have a romantic view of rod and line fishing which is as it should be but in my opinion you are missing out on an enjoyable method which is as effective as you could imagine. I can't see a difference between using a margin pole and a margin rod?

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
R.M.
The shock stick is merely a tool, the elastic is the shock absorber, everything is balanced as it it with all pole fishing, you have a romantic view of rod and line fishing which is as it should be but in my opinion you are missing out on an enjoyable method which is as effective as you could imagine. I can't see a difference between using a margin pole and a margin rod?

It’s an elasticated carp rod for turning over carp in the shortest possible time. Time is of the essence in match conditions. Fish constantly dragged out on a regular basis is not how I see stalking carp in the margins. It’s a factory. Don’t get me wrong I’m no bleeding heart, I know fishing isn’t always at the fishes best interest, we drag them from their watery homes with hooks in their mouths after all, but speed fishing for large semi tame carp with elesticated carp rods just isn’t appealing to me, I choose to hunt wild fish on a rod and reel, pitting my wits against nature, that’s what floats my boat anyway, if it makes me blinkered idiot in some people’s eyes then so be it.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
It’s an elasticated carp rod for turning over carp in the shortest possible time. Time is of the essence in match conditions. Fish constantly dragged out on a regular basis is not how I see stalking carp in the margins. It’s a factory. Don’t get me wrong I’m no bleeding heart, I know fishing isn’t always at the fishes best interest, we drag them from their watery homes with hooks in their mouths after all, but speed fishing for large semi tame carp with elesticated carp rods just isn’t appealing to me, I choose to hunt wild fish on a rod and reel, pitting my wits against nature, that’s what floats my boat anyway, if it makes me blinkered idiot in some people’s eyes then so be it.
That's fair enough, although I disagree with your view...... well, perhaps it's not your view, more the choice of words used. I don't drag or skulldrag fish from their environment, I guide them with alternating, steady pressure into the landing net, this is with either rod or pole. Semi tame carp? I don't fish commercial venues but I don't view them as large aquariums, surely the stock have the same built in preservation and instinct as any other fish?

As long as you enjoy your fishing, it's safe and within the recognised guidelines, that's what counts. We're not going to agree on the use of margin poles as I see them as a tool that when set correctly will play a fish just as a tightly set drag on a margin rod but that's our opinions and that's life.

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well red maggot you have managed to wreck this thread so perhaps you can gloat about that but you have proved to me at least that you are a complete numpty when it comes to angling and your opinions aren't worth the time of day, I shall bear that in mind in future. If it wasn't for the fact that its the weekend and he has better things to do I would ask Graham to remove this thread completely.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Dare i say, well you started it .......... :p

How has he ruined the Thread, he has only given his opinion on what he thinks.

I really do think that sometimes some people on here only want to hear what they believe and nothing else matters, great new start to a New Year again i see. Good Work.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I'm sorry to read that graham. My only problem with match fishing is where some people are only intersted with breaking records , the latest being how many carp in an hour how is that fishing (please enlighten me).

noknot

Reaction score
I think TRM has some valid points here too. I was sitting on the fence, watching all you girls getting you knickers in a twist, but a very sad and very true fact has emerged from this!
Back a few years ago matches were held on cuts and rivers, targeting Roach, skims, and what else came along, to me that was match fishing, today they crowd around a puddle full of Carp, use over-gunned pole set ups and haul the Carp in! This is a fact! And as a long time Carp angler I find it sad to be honest, that 3-5lbs Carp are having their mouth severely damaged by being landed on over powerful tackle in the shortest possible time!
A bream, Tench or roach is fine, but a fit Carp will fight a lot more, but are bullied to the net in quick time!
Don't take my word for it as this is not my opinion, but fact!
Look at any Commy where Carp are targeted in matches, ripped and disfigured mouths, Drayton Ress is a prime example!

slime monster

Reaction score
A nd my final say on this thread is that I have known Mark (Baggy) for a long time ,he was a respected match angler and has now evolved into a specimen big fish call it what you will angler ,his views are founded on years of watercraft and that comes across ,most anglers woth their salt would recognise that and at least give him his say

rant over

nchokie

Reaction score
Well red maggot you have managed to wreck this thread so perhaps you can gloat about that but you have proved to me at least that you are a complete numpty when it comes to angling and your opinions aren't worth the time of day, I shall bear that in mind in future. If it wasn't for the fact that its the weekend and he has better things to do I would ask Graham to remove this thread completely.

How has he wrecked it ? by offering an opinion different to yours ? As I said earlier , if those who have attacked his view had offered their own thoughts on the original question instead , we might have a worthwhile thread .

noknot

Reaction score

Graham,

Why should this thread be removed? Because it has comments that you don't agree with? This is a forum, and you should know the meaning of "forum" by the amount of your posts! Every member has a right to their own opinion, and also have the choice to respond or turn off their PC.