FACE UP TO IT

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Mike, I agree, we do have to make changes, but we also have to make sure that the changes are gradual and considerate.

People are certainly living longer, which is at the heart of the problem, but unfortunately most of them are retiring at the usual age of 65 and with no more than a state pension.

Phasing in any changes should reflect that and also consider how long the elderly member has previously been a paying member of the club.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Clubs wont have to worry ultimately, as the concepts of retirement and pensions will be but a dim memory in 25 years time.We will all have to work until we drop so the distinction will be moot as far as OAP memberships are concerned at least.

The dynamic of club membership that Mike describes is a bit of a microcosm of society in general.An ever burgeoning number of elderly people with a smaller and smaller number of workers who are having to pay for them through heavier taxes and higher mortgages as house prices are kept artifically high, to the detriment of their own pension provision.Anyway apologies for going off thread.

One answer of course would be to expand full paying membership numbers.Easier said than done, except by clubs developing their own commercial style fisheries to the detriment of more traditonal lake and river venues as has been happening with some clubs already.

Baz may have been having a wind up but the issue of the structure of angling clubs and by implication angling in general in the years to come is one well worth discussing.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Phasing in any changes should reflect that and <u>also consider how long the elderly member has previously been a paying member of the club.</u>

This is the usual hue and cry that angling clubs can no longer afford to pander to.

Sorry Graham but you and people like you, must sooner rather than later realise that what you are suggesting, is no longer a viable option.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have spent most of my adult life fishing and during that time I have fished some of the finest waters this country has to offer, mainly river I admit but a lot of stillwater fisheries as well. During most of that time I have hardly ever been a member of any club other than pub/social club or angling shop team. I have on the odd occasion been a member of the BAA but probably for no more than about five years in total.

I have never ever felt that my fishing was in any way restricted by not being a member of an angling society and those of you that think you are going to restrict OAP's for example from fishing because they aren't a full paying member of your society/club had better think again. You are under a delusion and it will cost you much more than it will cost OAP's who will still fish on the increasingly less occasions that they go according to age and health.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
how are the clubs going to have any revenue at all if there junior members are driven away in droves by the price hike you are aspiring to baz.these junior members become full paying members in time .Then pay full membership for 45 years dont they.surely it makes good bussiness sense to give them a discount for a short while,to get them hooked for life then sting them for full price.think along the lines of mccrap.

captain carrott

Reaction score
it won't cost a penny just think how much you will save on cleaning up after all the young oiks who leave rubbish lying about all over the place.

T

Terry Comerford

?In the UK in 2002 there were about 850,000 more children than pensioners.
From 2007 pensioners will be in the majority and by 2031 they will exceed the number of children, by about 4 million.?
Beverley Hughes Home Office Minister

I hope the post offices take on more staff.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

No self respecting or forward thinking angler should begrudge paying for a full licence Gav.
We either pay for it, or eventually lose it. It?s that simple really.
I am afraid these are the Hard Facts mate as in the post above. The sooner that anglers can face up to them, the better for all concerned.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Baz say Pensioners do get charged a full price now. For example ?55, thats a pretty normal rate right? But due to ever deteriating health can only manage it down to the bank four or 5 times a year are reluctent to pay. Surely they will just go looking for a day ticket water, theres plenty around and they don't all cost ?10 a day before you say it.
Doesn't really make sense to charge them full rates does it?

C

Clive Evans 1

All part of the learning curve Christian.
Today's lesson............. the worm isnt always on the hook-end of the rod.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I know what he's up to Clive, just get really bored of reading these threads. So I thought I'd give the 'discussion' itself ago and believe it or not it's starting to get tedious.

W

Wolfman Woody

"We either pay for it, or eventually lose it."

People who make these daft statements have no idea of how to run a club or worse still, a business of any kind.

Supply and demand! First rule of charging folks.

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Good post Baz. I am amazed at anglers of all ages who think nothing of paying 250 quid for a rod or a hundred quid for a reel then moan about the price of a licence or club membership.

J

John McLaren

But whilst, in principle, a policy of "they can afford it so charge it" seems reasonable what about those who actually can't afford it? It is an incredible fact that over 3 million children live in officially defined poverty in the UK. Chances are that many such children will never get the chance to fish (other than as poachers)if rod licences and club subscriptions are not available at a reduced cost. A similar case can no doubt be made out for those pensioners who don't have the benefit of pensions additional to their state pension.

On the simple economics of the situation Baz describes, either concessions have to go or be severely reduced or general subs will have to rise! But the more fundamental economic issue is, as someone has already pointed out, Supply and Demand - if fishing costs more then demand may well reduce especially as there is plenty of supply of alternative fishing options or of alternatives to fishing itself. The result could then be the closure of some fishing clubs - which is what Baz says he wants to avoid.

What is needed is not blanket increases in cost but sensible policies designed to attract and retain anglers whilst generating enough income to cover current expenditure and development costs and that applies to Rod Licences, Club Cards and day tickets.

Each club should make its own policies on its own local circumstances (which is what they do now I guess!)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its no use talking sense John it falls on deaf ears. Angling clubs have been suffering a declining membership for years and I would have thought encouraging people who can't afford to pay a full club membership to leave is the last thing they should be doing. Half of something is better than half of nothing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I think you meant "half of something is better than the whole of nothing", Graham. ;-)

N

nick hodgkinson

i would not normally bother to lower myself to such a misguided diatribe posted by Baz

but i feel i have to take him up on a point made at the start ref disabled anglers

he says - a new car every three years

well sorry mr know it all i'm disabled and don't get a car at all!!

Baz you really are a sad and sorry soul - perhaps what
graham posted may give you cause for reflection - though i doubt it as your too tied up with your own self importance (in your opinion)