FACE UP TO IT

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I wonder how many of you armchair snipers would have the bottle to tell DES TAYLOR to his face that he is talking a load of PAP?
Because that is "exactly" what you have been doing from the safety of your monitor screens.

C

Clive Evans 1

Des is paid to seek out controversial issues that foster interesting journalism.
He's very good at it, as his long time tenure attests to.
I suspect he would highly delighted with this threads response.

Your credibility is founded purely on a false premise.

captain carrott

Reaction score
The only thing you can add to Tripe is Onions.

you're having a laugh now braised with ginger and garlic possibly.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I?ve just found this dissertation by a famous American angling psychiatrist, so I thought I?d share it with you all. I?m not sure if this is the right thread on which to post it (and apologies if some think it takes it off topic) but there you go, I think most of you will find it interesting...
<hr>
Anglers, narcissism, and the need for attention

Anglers are social creatures and need social interaction, feedback, and validation of their worth. The emotionally mature angler doesn't need to go fishing for these; they gain it naturally from their daily life, especially from their fishing and from stable relationships with their fellow anglers. Another psychiatrist colleague of mine calls emotional maturity emotional intelligence, or EQ; he believes that EQ is a much better indicator of an angler's character and value than intelligence quotient, or IQ.

The emotionally immature angler, especially one who seeks his attention through increasingly bizarre forum posts, however, has low levels of self-esteem and self-confidence and consequently feels insecure. To counter these feelings of insecurity they will spend a large proportion of their lives posting forum messages in which they become the centre of attention. It may be that the need for attention is inversely proportional to emotional maturity, therefore any angler indulging in attention-seeking behaviour is telling you how emotionally immature they are. They seek attention on forums by deliberately posting messages that are designed to insult certain groups such as the elderly, the young and the infirm, with the post thinly disguised as serious debate.

Being the centre of attention alleviates feelings of insecurity and inadequacy but the relief is temporary as the underlying problem remains unaddressed: low self-confidence and low self-esteem, and consequent low levels of self-worth and self-love.

Anglers with attention seeking, narcissistic personality disorders also have difficulty recognizing the needs and feelings of others, and are dismissive, contemptuous and impatient when others share or discuss their concerns or problems. They are also oblivious to the hurtfulness of their behaviour or remarks, show an emotional coldness and a lack of reciprocal interest, exhibit envy (especially when others are accorded recognition), have an arrogant, disdainful and patronizing attitude, and are quick to blame and criticise others when their needs and expectations are not met.

C

Clive Evans 1

Well that's put the kibosh on this thread, I'm off to play with my marbles.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

As I stated previously.
Any more remarks that are not related to this thread or that I deem petty will be ignored.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It looks like there is some interest in my post from the angling psychiatrist, from the majority anyway. So here is another revealing comment from him.
<hr>
The narcissistic angler feels superior, unique, entitled and better than his fellow anglers. He thus tends to despise them, to hold them in contempt and to regard them as lowly and subservient beings.

The narcissistic angler feels that his time is invaluable, his mission of cosmic importance, his contributions to forums priceless. He, therefore, demands total obedience and catering to his ever-changing needs. Any demands on his time and resources is deemed to be both humiliating and wasteful.

But the narcissistic angler is dependent on input from other people for the performance of certain ego functions (such as the regulation of his sense of self worth). Without Narcissistic Supply (adulation, adoration, attention), the narcissist shrivels and withers and is dysphoric (depressed).

The narcissistic angler resents the dependence described above. He is furious at himself for his neediness and - in a typical narcissistic maneuver (called ?alloplastic defense?) - he blames his fellow forum posters for his anger. He displaces his rage and its roots.

The narcissistic angler?s very life depends on others providing him with Narcissistic Supply. He becomes upset and posts ever more outrageous and bizarre messages to forums if they stop doing so.

To counter this overwhelming feeling of helplessness (dependence on Narcissistic Supply), the narcissistic angler tries to become a control freak. He tries to sadistically manipulate others to satisfy his needs.

The narcissistic angler usually tries to duck the blatantly obvious by protesting that fellow posters are being petty and then declaring he will ignore them. Beneath that simple minded exterior he is seething with rage that he is not being taken seriously.

Stuart J

Reaction score
"Oh! dear, do you think he has had Baz on his couch by any chance :0}"

Still laying on it having a rant as we speak.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There is an ever growing number of oap?s causeing massive financial problems throughout angling and the country as a whole.....FACT

Juniors ?can? afford to pay the full licence fee.....FACT

There is no such thing as a cheap or free licence.....FACT

Clubs that gave concessionary licences are suffering financially.....FACT

Clubs can no longer afford to give concessionarys out.....FACT

A full terms club membership is cheaper than buying day tickets.....FACT

It is all about economics.....FACT

Those who do not pay a full subscription are ultimately to blame for the demise of angling clubs.....FACT

It is every anglers responsibility to pay the full amount.....FACT

The average angler pays for those who don?t.....FACT

There are many anglers who support my views.....FACT

This is not Bait Box.....FACT

Michael Heylin

Reaction score
The language may have been extreme, in the view of some, but the message is worth consideration.

The population dynamics of the UK indicate an aging population and clubs, all clubs, not just angling clubs, will need to accommodate these changes in the way they charge their members in years to come.

That, for many clubs, will mean they need to consider discounts offered to various groups and the effect they will have on cash flows as the club membership ages.

At the moment in my club we have about 15% senior citizen members and about 10% juniors. The junior figure is projected to remain pretty static but senior citizens will grow in the next five years to about 40%. That will have a dramatic effect on cash flow and the opportunities for the club to develop further. We are already moving senior citizen prices up, slowly, with a view to the future.

If you run a club you may need to consider the same solution. Or look at running angling clubs more like golf clubs, with five day memberships, afternoon memberships etc., to encourage participation and usage of the waters.

The danger we run is that if angling clubs do not look ahead we could face the situation where angling club membership is in decline, waters are lost to angling as a consequence and other water users take over our rights, canoeists, sailors, bird watchers etc. Once a water is lost to angling it tends to stay lost. Food for thought.

Mike

C

Clive Evans 1

Blimey. Did you see all them polysyllabics.
Guess it must be true then.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't worry Baz. Nothing that a good dose of electric shock therapy can't treat, in the fullness of time.

Only question is, have we got that much power in the national grid?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Excellent Michael, and thank you very much.

Paul C

Reaction score
Juniors ?can? afford to pay the full licence fee.....FACT

My lad's 3. I can assure you he can't

C

Clive Evans 1

Mike.
One point missing here is that an aging membership pays its dues for a longer period.
As will the younger members eventually.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Michael. Your argument totally collapses if those OAP's and Juniors drop out of the clubs, the clubs would have even less income.

Clubs are finding it hard enough to keep their waters as it is and if you start excluding the less financially able members they will be in an even worse financial state.

Those misguided people who think its possible to live a normal life on a state pension have got a rude shock coming to them when they eventually retire. You can exist yes, but live? Afraid not. If you have supplementary pensions or income then thats different but the vast majority of pensioners are not that lucky.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Sorry to disapoint you Graham/Clive. But angling can not afford to carry on in trying to survive on past practices and customs.